All depression sufferers (past/present) please read

by WildHorses 46 Replies latest watchtower medical

• wednesday
    wednesday

WH,

I would do what the doc says. It does not mean u will be on med for the rest of your life. And wellbutrin is a usually well tolerated med, and will help in wieght loss and if u smoke it will heop that too. It also can rev up oyur sexual interest. Not bad for a pill.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    Do know these drugs have side effects many which alter the sex-drive.

LOL I had to laugh at that. I forgot what that is.

((((((((((((Rayzor)))))))))))) Back at ya hun.

• talesin
    talesin

wh - this, too, will pass (because you are WORTHY of feeling good and you WILL feel better).

i can't (won't) give advice on whether you are depressed and what meds may work, but can tell you my experience.

meds don't work for me. i feel good after abt 2-3 wks, then at abt 8-10 wks i crash. so i had to find my own methods (with a lotta help from my physician and my therapist).

when i am in the depths of it, i

. get out for a walk (even if 5 mins) every day.

. buy myself a treat once a week (even a chocolate bar, since money is an issue for me)

. communicate with positive people whenever possible and avoid the negative ones

. make sure i take care of myself (eating properly, appearance, housework)

. just say 'no' to others' demands (this can be difficult, esp. if you have kids)

. remember that 'feeling too tired' can be depression-related, so sometimes i have to force myself to get started with things. once i get going, i usually feel a bit better

. remember that i have a REASON to feel depressed, so don't make it worse by beating up on myself

. have medical practitioners that i TRUST

. if i am sleep-deprived, do something about it - sleep deprivation will exacerbate the depression

. explore (for me, with professional help) why i am depressed, and when it started

. get as much safe 'touch' as i can - from my (dearly-departed) kitty, friends, partner if i have one

that being said, i'm not against meds, they just don't work for me. my only advice about them is be careful, check the side-effects and drug interactions with your pharmacist/on the net, and keep a close watch on how you are feeling, perhaps by journalling.

btw, you have already taken the most important (to me) step - which is telling others in a nonjudgmental situation so that you have support

cheers to ya!!! life will be better, because YOU are determined it will be.

• shamus
    shamus

Email me if you need any advice. I am the depression king, honey, and I know many theories on what causes depression....

[email protected]

One more thing..... don't take any advice from ANYONE whom has not suffered personally from depression. It is obvious that those persons, while well-meaning, have no idea what the hell is going on in your head. I certainly do, as well as other persons on this board.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

WildHorses I haven't bothered to read any of the other comments to you about this topic. I think it's important to tell you the facts as I know them. I had quite a bad time with depression and I feel that I had everything I need to fight it, I did take medication for a while .. and it kind of took the sting out of it but I learnt to do without it .. I still get blue from time to time .. but I think everyone does.

Depression comes down to a inbalance of chemicals in your brain. You can fight depression by feeding your body heathy foods that are high in vitamins and minarals. Cut out as much caffine as you possible can and try to maintain a balanced veiw on your day to day events. Getting past depression is by no means easy, but it can be done without medication. I think the decision comes down to you and whether you feel you can cope with fighting it alone.

*HUGZ* Josh

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((((((WH))))))))))))))

I'm not sure of your age but the symptoms you are describing could also be caused by perimenopause. Irritability, mood swings, insomnia, depression, weight gain, decreased energy, difficulty concentrating are all symptoms of perimenopause as well as depression.

Many women are misdiagnosed with anxiety, mood disorders or depression and placed on medications for these things when that isn't what is going on at all. In fact it can make things worse because the medications can mask the real problem.

I would emplore you to seek a second opinion on this from a gynecologist before starting on any prescription medication.

Hope things work out for you and you are feeling better soon.

Hugs at ya !!

XW

• Aztec
    Aztec

Uh yeah, thanks xw! Roflmao! *Waiting to get thwacked* LOL!

~Aztec

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Monk3y and Xenawarrior: that was very kind to write what you wrote.

Xenawarrior, interesting what you wrote about menopause. Some women hit it at different times than others. Damn.....I should have known better, but that was like a bolt out of the blue, thanks for posting that. Made sense.

I hope WildHorses, whatever may be going on with her, will subside and she can get on to feeling happy and productive.

We would so love for her to be happy.

Great comments. Even I, read them, and learned from them also.

Kindness extended in word, is a wonderful thing indeed.

• Brummie
    Brummie

WH, I have never needed to take any medication so I'm not going to be so helpful, however I'm sad that you are going through this All of the nicest people I know seem to suffer some form of depression, no fair! Hope its just a temporary thing that will be gone in a short while.

Thinking of ya lovely (((((( ))))))).

Brumm

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Um, just for the record, I said "perimenopause" not menopause- and it can begin for women in their early 30's. It's the time BEFORE menopause.

Perimenopause, or pre-menopause is a transitional stage of two to ten years before complete cessation of the menstrual period. Its average duration is six years, and can appear in women from 35 to 50 years of age. This has not been a stage of women's lives much talked about, and a woman can find herself experiencing puzzling changes, and not know why.

(it can also start earlier than 35)

Something funny Aztec? I didn't quite get the joke.

XW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit