All depression sufferers (past/present) please read

by WildHorses 46 Replies latest watchtower medical

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I have bipolar disorder. It took years to figure out what was going on. The meds aren't working for me, so I'm having to learn to live without them.

Here's the deal, sweetie. Give the pills a try. They might help take the edge off. After you ride the storm out, you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel.

If they don't work, you're no worse off than before, eh?

CZAR

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Wildhorses, good to see you posting again, always love your posts.

Anyways, some time ago...well probably 10-15 years ago, I was severely depressed. My blood pressure was just as high as yours was.

Stress from work, and my life in general post-JW was a bit in a tailspin. I made loads of money, but I was miserable, unhappy and very depressed. I cannot imagine how I got through it.

My doctor was a funky guy, he perscribed me some meds, but you know.....he tried to get it out of me, to TALK about my problems and discuss it with a counsellor or psychiatrist. I hesitated, but eventually, I did.

Eventually, I made my way to a counsellor whom I visited for awhile.

Results: success!

My blood pressure went to better than ever. I eventually quit my stressful money-making job and took a great deal of time off (I could afford it).

My depression was more situational, not chemical or something that was inherited.

Now: I feel great.

The only reason my bp is a bit high: too much Canuck beer , and not exercising enough, but I'm not depressed.

I'm glad you asked this question. There are many people here whom are compassionate and can empathize with you completely.

Big Hug from ol' Rayzorblade

• berylblue
    berylblue
    but a four-month dose of depression medicine kicked me out of it.

Good point, Alan. Some persons will only need an antidepressant for a very short while; others, like your wife and myself, possibly "forever".

Rosemarie

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

WH...You started a "DEPRESSION" thread on an xJw site... the bandwidth is going to blow the whole internet right off the globe...... hope you can keep up with all the posts that are coming

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Nobody should keep taking meds that don't work! You should feel some improvement within a couple of weeks. If Zoloft doesn't work, there are lots of others, and trying them one after another until you hit the right one is worth the effort! All of the sudden you are you again. Except a happier and more engaged version of you! And then you have the energy to do what you need to do to not need the meds any more. But don't just accept one thing and figure if it doesn't work nothing will!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

• Feelings of sadness that don't go away. I cry at the drop of a hat
    • No interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoy, such as hobbies. I don't do anything I used to do. I just go to work and come home.
    • Change in weight or appetite. I've gained weight.
    • Sleep disturbance, such as trouble falling asleep, waking up too early, or oversleeping. I find it hard to fall asleep and even harder to get out of bed in the AM.
    • Unable to concentrate or think. N/A
    • Tired or loss of energy everyday. All the time
    • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt. The first part, yes, but the guilt I feel is for feeling worthless.
    • Restlessness or slowed activity noticed by other people. Haven't noticed this.
    • Thoughts about life not being worthwhile, or about suicide or death. The first part is true, not the last.

I had this all typed out before but when I hit reply it went who knows where.

Scully, I will try to look for that book, thanks.

Alan, if taking meds is a short term thing, I think I can handle that.

Badputty, I didn;t think of that. lol but I know my depression isn't a JW thing, thank god.

• aspiration
    aspiration

Honey, I'm right there with you. My BP is 161/110 and I'm in my early 20's. It's most likely Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for me. I haven't been able to afford to go to a doctor yet.

I do have BP medicine which helps a bit, but it's still a struggle just to get out of bed every day.

If you want to talk, send me a PM, I'll be happy to give you a listening ear. We all need someone who understands.

someone you know----

aspiration

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    My mother and both of my sister take meds for this. My sisters take wellbatin (sp) and Mom takes Prosaic. I do not want to go on meds. Is this possible? Can you get over depression without meds? Have any of you overcome depression without taking them?

With what you have written it seems that depression may run in your family and your Dr. may be correct in his assesment of your condition.

Both Wellbutrin and Prozac are mild anti-depressants with most results being as intended. Do know these drugs have side effects many which alter the sex-drive. I would be concerned if he wanted to give you Paxil as this drug is highly addictive and if one just stops taking it could find themselves worse off then before they started.

I would go by your Drs advise.

If however you wish to seek self-help go to an herb store and try some of the "cures" they have there. Many which have been unproven. I would highly remind anyone who does take these self meds to remember that you must always report these just as you would report any drugs given to you by a physcian. Many of them can cause excessive bleeding during surgery, i.e., St.Johns Wort.

((((WH))))

I wish you find every thing you are seeking and relief is only a breath away.

Hugs

Cassi

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Razor, you are such a sweet heart. Sorry that I never got back to replying to your last e-mail. It just seems like a lot of effort these days to do anything.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

no worries hon!

Big Hug from Rayzorblade ---> (((Wildhorses)))

There...that always works. I'm just happy to see you posting here and asking some important questions.

Look after yourself first and foremost.

I'll always be around here somewheres.

Take care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit