Northenden Assembley Hall Of JWs (Manchester, UK) - A Little History

by pale.emperor 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This is the circuit assembly hall I attended since childhood. If you're a JW and you grew up in Liverpool, Lancashire or Manchester then this is the hall you attended. When i was little i remember the decor inside being red and cream coloured. But they did a major renovation in the early 00s in shades of green and gold.

Originally known as The Forum Cinema, on the corner of Palatine Road and Longley Lane, Northenden. It was opened on 22nd November 1934, and was a project of the independent Forum Cinema Company.

The building is designed in a stylish ‘Jazz Modern’ Art Deco style and has seating (1,904 seats) in stalls and circle. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Rank theatre organ. The Wurlitzer came from the Cameo Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio, USA. It also had a fully equipped stage and large stage house and dressing rooms, which in the early years hosted an annual pantomime. There was also a ballroom and a cafe upstairs. The first lessee of the Forum was E.M. Burns of Cheadle.
    From 15th April 1936 the Forum was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) It was re-named ABC in February 1964 and was advertised as the ABC Wythenshawe, though it remained popularly known as the Forum. For many years the Forum was where teenage boys and young men invited their girlfriends for a night out. In the days before going Dutch and sharing and sexist overtones and parents deciding that their daughters better not rely on payment from a male, males were expected to fund such a night out. Popular movies could see queues stretching back almost to the bus stop at Princess Parkway. The ABC closed on 23rd February 1974 with Bruce Lee in “Fist of Fury” being the last movie shown. (I bet a lot of JWs dont know that!)

The building was used for several years as a live theatre, known as the Forum Theatre. It was taken over and became an Assembly Hall for the Jehovah’s Witnesses who have been custodians of what is now a Grade II Listed building. In all fairness, they've kept it very well.

There was an upper deck which was usually closed of in the morning session in order to try and fill up the lower section first (it never worked). Getting a seat up there was a dream come true because you could easily fall asleep and no one would notice. As a child my family never sat at the top. But as soon as i was old enough and dating i always made sure i sat up there. I even picked up a girl in the back row during the session one time!

I always wondered what the deal was with the wierd shapes on the wall. Was that part of the original decor? Oftentimes when i was bored i'd try to make out what it could be. I wondered if it was an abstract Jehovah sitting on his throne.

It used to be equipped with a kitchen too and up until the mid 90s they used to sell hot food and drinks in during the lunch break. That was scrapped because "the sisters (note, sisters, not brothers) cooking the food are missing out on the spiritual food during the sessions". Of course, after i left the borg i learned it was for tax saving reasons.

Unfortunately, there was nowhere to go during the lunch break. Down the road there used to be a Woolworths so virtually every young one would walk there, buy chocs/sweets and walk back. But it closed in the late 90s and there was nothing but furniture shops a newsagents and a Tescos.

All in all, a lovely building. And i do have some nice memories visiting the place. But have absolutely no memory of a single talk given there. Says a lot doesnt it?

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Just mentioned on another post...this was mine, too.

The last assembly I went to was here.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

What a stunning building ( as so many 30s buildings are), they do seem to have kept it beautifully and at a guess ( I'm no expert) those seem to be colours consistent with the era if so someone did their research.

I wonder what happened to the Wurlitzer? I had visions of someone rising up out of the ground playing the theme from " ain't arf hot mum" ( aging myself) at the beginning of the programme!

Thanks for that P.E.👍

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Here's a youtube video slideshow about the Manchester Assembly Hall

https://youtu.be/DPhBZGRhkEE

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, I remember that place - even the smells and the echoey sound of the marble floors. I remember all the art-deco patterns on the walls and they used to have circle and square (triangle) patterns behind the stage too instead of curtains - anything you could focus on instead of the talks.

For a period of time our circuit used to have a sit-down meal system where you had to queue up the winding stairs to get there and then there were waited tables and I remember the food being pretty decent. But it took ages - when you first got there the number 1 thing to do was to rush and buy your meal ticket otherwise you'd be having lunch at 2:30 or something. They used to have a sign on the stage showing which mean sitting was being served and because they went over the lunch period time, it would end up with someone walking on to hang the next letter up on the sign while someone was giving a talk ... and sections of the audience, weak from hunger, would get up and go eat. Hilarious.

Later it became more of a self-service cafe style food area. They did have a donut making machine for a while which was hypnotic to watch.

We used to walk down the street to buy sweets for the afternoon sitting but yeah, not really much to do there.

Amazing building though and they have done a good job preserving it, otherwise who knows what would have happened to it.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Amazing building though and they have done a good job preserving it, otherwise who knows what would have happened to it.

I was thinking the same thing ....wow a community service the JW's really *have* done!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember the doughnuts!

I also remember being served in my seat. And some poor woman lugging tray in front of her with loads of hot food in those aluminum boxes like you get in a takeaway.

You had to buy these meal tickets from the desk and you'd swap them for food or drinks. You'd get 10 little tabs per ticket. And each tab was worth about 10p. Looking back it was most likely a money making thing. I mean, if you dont spend all of your tickets you couldn't exchange them for your money back.

And would you believe i still have some?

• Angharad
    Angharad

Seven of those tickets would get you a bar of that mint chocolate

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I painted that ceiling.... and those walls!

Went there from childhood and was there most days of the renovation. Baptised there 1995 ... last went In 2005 when I realised I no longer belonged 😉

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

change the sign outside and it could become a mosque...or is that the plan ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit