Do you like cops?

by JH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• willy_think
    willy_think

I like cops for the most part but I'll tell you this, the only thing lower then a corrupt cop is a government DA (lawyer) trying to get in to politics.

• mackey
    mackey

The work ethic and attitude of police officers differ from town to town.I have the utmost respect for the ones who chose this career to serve and protect the public. My brother Is a police officer and I have seen first hand how he has sacrificed and worked his ass off to get to where he Is. This Is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination. It's the lazy, arrogant ones who are In this line of work for the ego boost that give law enforcement officers a bad image.

• blondie
    blondie

I appreciate that there are police officers

and

fire fighters

and

garbage collectors

etc., etc., etc.

Some individual ones I don't.

I don't even want to imagine what my neighborhood would be like with them.

Blondie

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Do I like cops??

Well, some of them. I was a sheriffs deputy once upon a time and I liked myself. Actually some of them I liked and respected. Some I detested. Know what? I found that to be true, no matter where I was employed.

A lot of the attitude a cop displays, is due to how many idiots he has dealt with this day.

We don't like stops like for no seat belt. Well the state or county has passed laws requiring that stops and possible fines be executed for not wearing a seat belt. So we ought to talk with our legislators about that. Not take it out on the cop.

Expired registration and no license. Yet we don't expect the cop to be derisive to us?? Then he lets you go and you don't see the leniency there? I would have cited her on both counts.

Cops get paid well? How much money a month, is worth putting your life on the line daily?

Cops usually work a lot with their gut feelings. It seems to work exceedingly well. The look of your auto, is it well maintained or not? license plate wired on? Does it look like you are living in the car?your driving habits, reaction when you see the cop, your body language. These and many we were not consciously aware of, all lead up to a traffic stop or not.

It seems odd to me that some of us blast the cops with an "all cops suck" attitude. I have seen this attitude even after a cop saved a guys life.

One guy was trying his best to kill this cop. Shot at him several times. The cop returned fire and wounded the guy. Then the cop goes over and holds the guys pressure points so he won't bleed out and die. The doctors tell the guy, that is the only reason he did not die. He still hates this cop, especially. I am not sure I would try to save the life, of someone who just tried his best to kill me.

Cops are just like everyone else. Good, not so good, bad, awful, smart and intelligent, dumber than a post, kind and caring and honest, arrogant and dishonest, hard workers and slackers and lazy.

But I will give most of them one thing. When the shit hits the fan and we are in deep danger or trouble they will be there. In some respects they are a lot like firefighters.

Outoftheorg

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

They're people with a difficult job to do and I respect them for that. I know that they can't be there to protect me when I walk early in the morning so I got a concealed weapon carry permit. All my cop friends agreed it was a good idea. Now they insist that I show up at the gun range to practice, practice, practice.

I was driving through Oro Valley, Arizona one morning and was stopped by a motorcycle cop who thought I was transporting marijuana. I let him look through the car and he was satisfied that it was clean. People tell me that I'm one of the few that they let go without a ticket as the OV cops are noted for being super ticket writers....I think they're supporting the whole town on tickets.

• sandy
    sandy

Outoftheorg,

Expired registration and no license. Yet we don't expect the cop to be derisive to us?? Then he lets you go and you don't see the leniency there? I would have cited her on both counts.

I did see the leniency in the situation. I was surprised he didn't cite her. To be honest I have no freakin' idea why he didn't give her a ticket.

I really think if she were alone or with another black person he would have at least given her a ticket, maybe even impounded her car. His attitude toward her was more than derisive; maybe I didn't make it too clear. The cop was obviously prejudice.

I was actually thinking of filing a complaint against him but the only reason I didn't was because he didn't cite her or take her car in.

I (of Mexican American descent) am not one to cry out racism. In fact this was the first time I've seen racism first hand.

• sandy
    sandy

Hey outoftheorg,

I have a question for you since you were in law enforcement.

Did the police officer have a right to put us in the back of his police car?

We were not being unruly at all.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Can't stand coppers.

Obnoxious, ignorant gits in uniform.

My friend is a DJ. One night, he performed at a Cop Christmas party. At the end of the night, he told me that every Cop was absolutely hammered from alcohol but still got in their cars and drove home. Hypocrites !

I really do hate cops.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well Sandy I don't understand this. Must be missing something.

It has been my experience with a cop that is prejudice, is that he will issue citations for anything he can find or make up, when he is dealing with someone of a race he hates.

Really prejudiced people harbor a hatred of other races and they don't usually let some one off on any chance to do them damage.

Could it be that this one just has an abrasive personality? Did your friends lying seem obvious to him and he felt like you thought he was too dumb to see this?

I don't know. It puzzels me.

But thats not new, a lot of things puzzle me.

PS Did he have a right to put us in the back seat of the car?

This depends on the state and its laws and the police dept. and its policies.

It has been a long time but I recall two scenarios. If it is at night or heavy traffic or for some other legitimate reason. He could place persons WITHOUT hand cuffs on, in the car as a means of protection for them. If he did not and an accident happened, he and the dept would be liable.

If he for any reason did not feel safe to turn his back on you and lean into your car while inspecting it, most policies allowed this. In daylight we usually had the people stand on or sit down on the curb.

If There was a want or warrant out on the person, then handcuffs were always used as a way to protect the officer and to discourage an attack by the person. Which was also a protection of the person.

Every thing becomes more relaxed and cordial if there are two officers or backup arrives. While at all times we were instructed to be business like and not too friendly

Someone who is currently employed as an officer could shed light on todays policies.

Outoftheorg

Outoftheorg of the puzzled class.

Outoftheorg

• jws
    jws

I've found police officers to be OK, but the sheriffs I've encountered are generally first class A-holes.

I used to work security jobs at bars and concerts. I know a lot of people with authority get a big head about it. Lots of law enforcement officials (and security people) get off on the power. And some are just jaded. So used to criminals, they start to believe everyone is one.

I've had police lie about me running a red light. Maybe it turned red when I was just entering the intersection, maybe while I was in the intersection. Maybe I was guilty, but it was a real close call. But to have the officer tell it, I was 10 car lengths back when it turned red, but kept going and cruised through long after it had turned red - an absolute lie. This, in a town that sets their yellow lights in their trap areas shorter than the surrounding towns even other streets within town. Then they station cops to wait for people to go through too late. So, it was all set up to get that ticket money rolling in and they weren't going to back down for justice.

Overall, this world would be dangerous if we didn't have cops out there. But there can be bad ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit