1969 Awake on Education - A Sore Spot for Me

by NotBlind 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

I’m curious. Was your dad viewed negatively in the congregation for having a career, or was it ignored because he was a man??

I mean it's not so much a double-standard as a founding principle; women in the WT are third class citizens (men are second and elders are first). Whatever a woman's career-situation, she won't have many 'privileges' in the organisation, beyond the 'joy' of field service.

As for my dad, he had minimal privileges, but then his organisational aspirations weren't especially lofty to begin with.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I became an elder the same month I started university, this was around 2000. The CO told the elders my decision to go to uni was not an impediment. I immediately became school overseer but 8 months later I cracked, resigned and stopped going to meetings.

So the 1969 Awake had no legacy for me but my experience probably became proof that Uni was bad for your faith (although my faith was fake).

• LV101
    LV101

On the west coast those with college and graduate degrees were viewed negatively and held back. I personally know several. A few who dropped out of college to be a JW were promoted at young ages. One must not only fit in with the good ole boys' club but shun college education here in the SW/NW. They've been so desperate for elders the past 12 plus yrs. they're using these same college professionals as elders and in any management area possible. Cult hierarchy can't have educated members when they're unlearned men.

First signal re/WT cult (and other NoKo cults) that's a red flag to run fast -- the rules against education!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    "And, yet, those who did exactly what the 1969 "Awake!" advised are now viewed as the weak ones. This is revisionist history."

To this a JW attempts to justify his organization and put blame on the r&f.

He writes

No not "weak". Just a little too eager. Thinking that they were right at the finish line. When this is a spiritual marathon. And the race wasn't over yet.

"Do you not know that the runners in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it." -- 1 Corinthians 9:24.

"I have fought the fine fight, I have run the race to the finish, I have observed the faith. From this time on, there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me as a reward in that day, yet not to me only, but also to all those who have loved his manifestation." -- 2 Timothy 4:7,8.

The Watchtower organization honestly admitted their role in the view that 1975 was THE Date.

But they added:

"In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower,commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

Nevertheless, there is no reason for us to be shaken in faith in God’s promises. Rather, as a consequence, we are all moved to make a closer examination of the Scriptures regarding this matter of a day of judgment. In doing so, we find that the important thing is not the date. What is important is our keeping ever in mind that there is such a day—and it is getting closer and it will require an accounting on the part of all of us." --- Watchtower 3/15/1980 p.17 pars 5-7.

much Christian love
    1pennyone
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

An education is not going to make you rich. However, an education gives a person a fighting chance to secure good jobs that will be sustained through upcoming changes in technology.

That the Watchtower fights education is criminal.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FRED FRANZTONE:

I don’t disagree with you and I was well aware of the stupid hierarchy in the JW religion:..elders first, other men second and women last.🙄

And, by the way, I was never interested in “privileges” or stupid titles.

But, it was MY experience that their negative attitude towards a woman with a career or good job was not simply passive. They went out of their way to criticize, label and not invite me (as though I’d be idiot enough to quit my decent job)..It was also my observation that a man in the same circumstances was not viewed as badly. So, yes, I do consider this to be a double standard.

I do not expect you to understand this if you have not gone through it personally, but I did...And, again, I’m glad I ignored these hypocrites.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill
    In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower,commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date,

It was a lot of bloody good telling everybody this in July of 1976 - the damage was already done!

The old story of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted comes to mind here.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

So, what ever became of the people who quit their jobs or sold their homes? I'd love to see some of their experiences and to know how things turned out. What are their lives like? What were their emotions, say in July 1976?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Virgochik,

The 2 different families I mention is because they are all DEAD.

#1. Had a beautiful home in Huntington Beach, Calif. Sold it and moved North to pioneer until... "this old system of things came to an end... ". The husband ended up dying with dementia. His wife died of cancer. Both had Jdub funerals but lived their last years in poverty.

#2. He was an engineer and made good money. They lived in Claremont, close to Pomona. They "heeded the call... " sold and moved North to Redding, Calif out to a mountainous acreage. He told me at their 50th wedding anniversary, that The Society told the ones way back when to ... flee to the mountains for safety, so they did. Sitting their in a grand hall with all old family and friends, John sat in a poop filled diaper because his wife Mildred was having such a good time visiting with everyone, she forgot to take him out and check. Shortly afterwards, he was diagnosed with dementia.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Sorry to hear all those affected by the cult.

Luckily I was baby during 1969, raised by protestant parents who gave me the best childhood ever.

When I was in the cult, an elder came and counseled me that I am too materialistic and should think of quitting my fair paying job to go for a menial one, as I could do more in the FS non sense.

Thank myself, I never listened to him as I always had the doubt that this is all a scam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit