Religion...is regarded by the rulers as useful

by flipper 15 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman Statesman, 4BC - 65AD: "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

This comes to mind as Trump has been throwing the word "God" around. There are a lot of outwardly religious people in this government.

Benjamin Franklin: "The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason."

And Napoleon Bonaparte: "There must be religion - otherwise the poor would murder the rich."

" " " "Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."

Mrs Flipper

• undercover
    undercover

"Religion ... is the opiate of the masses" - Karl Marx

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Religion is the by product of FEAR.

Of DEATH.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

One of my favorites!

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Why do you think Trump had a reported seven clergymen speak at his

Inauguration

:0)

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thats " all" America needs right now a religious nutter surrounded by extreme religious advisers is that why the rich in Silicon Valley are buying up so much land in New Zealand to get away from the USA when the shit hits the fan ?

Mrs flipper your right religion was invented to control the masses and keep them in check.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

oh I dunno as it is a bit complicated. Seneca wouldn't have said anything against religion - I mean if he had he'd have been forced to commit suicide. and anyway to speak against religion would have been against his philosophy and politics.

Seneca was against superstition and popular beliefs but had a lot of respect for religion. Religion at Rome was led by the senators and the emperor in the form of cult practice and ritual. It was not about superstition or about beliefs. It was more about togetherness, festivals, processions, belonging etc

but these quotes are interesting as they come from people in our own modern times who see all religion as bad and the secular state as good. there would not have been this separation in Roman religion. so I guess it is a good quote for us but Seneca would never have said that.

Seneca is one of my favourite people and I think he is great for us - thats why I'm putting in my penny's worth as like him I think people need religion - his type anyway - not the superstitions and beliefs part of modern religion though as these can be very isolating

edit seneca may have said superstitions are regarded as useful by the rulers and he may have been talking about superstitions re death and the afterlife...and this has been been changed in our own times to say religion is regarded as useful by the rulers etc etc

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

flipper trump needs to pay attention to religion otherwise imo he is going to become even more like Putin.

can u imagine the US being led by a communist - anything can happen with Trump around. please get another republican to rule your country - anyone but him

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Seneca would have been against religious tyranny - of this I have no doubt.

• OnTheWayOut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit