Religion...is regarded by the rulers as useful

by flipper 15 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Great thread my dear wife. I agree- I feel religion has been used for thousands of years by governments and the wealthy as a tool or a vehicle to keep large groups of people controlled and submissive to their detriment. We see it all the time today and throughout history.

I believe Trump like other politicians before him- will use religion insofar as it benefits his agenda to consolidate his power and control over the American people. Once again- it will be used as a vehicle or tool for him to get what he wants. Power and esteem- at least in his own assessment of himself

• flipper
    flipper

Hey, all, thanks for the great comments. I worked all day in the snow yesterday , my brain has just thawed out.

Ruby, that's interesting about Seneca and the Romans. Something to read up on.

Religion scares the crap out of me, it seems to be a wired in part of being human. So many people who leave religion go to something similar like multi level marketing or fanatical political groups.

It's important at a time like this to become active about the craziness in our government, at the same time I feel the need to stay under the radar.

Mrs. Flipper

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I am with you Flipper. Hide your books folks. It can happen. I'm not saying it will, but don't be naive.

Unless you'd like to kill all the non-anglo, non-hetrosexual science lovers. Then by all means, carry on.... ;)

• Tallon
    Tallon

And this is the view of a clergyman - Charles Kingsley, a Canon of the Church of England.

"We have used the Bible as if it were a mere special constable's hand book, an opium dose for keeping beasts of burden patient while they were being overloaded, a mere book to keep the poor in order."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people

• ssn587
    ssn587

Intelligence is the victim of faith.

• flipper
    flipper

Wanted to bump this thread up by my wife from a couple weeks ago. Good points made here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit