Artificial Intelligence and 2019

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I was intrigued by a forecast made by DAMO Academy, the in-house technology and science research arm of China's, huge e-commerce business,, Alibaba.

They seem to be predicting the following technology trends for 2019 and that artificial intelligence would continue to be the ho area of progress.

So what do any techies hanging out here think? Safe predictions? Wild guesses? Pr unlikely?

1. Real-time urban simulation to become possible - Dynamic and real-time urban infrastructure data on traffic, water, electricity and air quality will be analyzed by large-scale computing platforms. More cities in China are expected to have a “city brain.”

2. Speech AI in certain areas to pass Turing Test - People can “talk” to more and more public facilities powered by AI as the voice becomes an increasingly important interface able to pass the so-called Turing Test whereby a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equals that of a human. The report said rules and regulations need to be established to regulate the industry and avoid misusing technology in advertisements, harassing phone calls and fraud.

3. Specialized AI chips on the rise - Specialized AI chips may challenge the dominant position of GPUs for AI training in data centers. The new generation of AI chips, which will apply 3D-based stacking and stocking technology, will become a new trend.

4. Super-large graph neural networks (GNNs) to equip machines with “common sense” - Robust GNNs will function similar to a human brain and its neurons, equipping machines with comprehension and cognitive capabilities.

5. Computing architecture to be restructured - Fundamental changes to computing will include the transition from CPU-centered general computing to domain-specific computing driven by applications and technology, accelerating the arrival of AI and the quantum-computing era.

6. 5G networks to enable new applications - The fifth generation of wireless technology (5G) will enable thorough integration of communication and connections between machines, benefiting areas such as cooperative vehicle-infrastructure systems and the industrial Internet.

7. Digital identity to become our second ID card - Biometric technology is maturing and being applied on a large scale, making our digital identity a second ID card.

8. Development in autonomous driving to be more prudent - In the next two to three years, new technological progress should be felt in some commercial areas such as logistics and transportation, with fixed-route public transport and unmanned delivery around commercial buildings and campuses.

9. Commercial application of blockchain to gain speed - People are more rational about the prospects of blockchain, which was once overhyped. More and more blockchain applications will be seen in our daily life such as cross-border remittances, supply-chain financing, electronic invoices and tamper-proof judicial records.

10. Data-protection technologies to thrive - Governments around the world intend to implement more stringent policies and regulations on data security. Corporations will need to invest more in protecting individual privacy data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: http://www.ecns.cn/news/cns-wire/2019-01-02/detail-ifzcitha9949624.shtml?fbclid=IwAR21Y6VA-IY3X-kZzQdYEg5Zn6mZwK3NztQVL16KucXsML8GW3hJ-nMc6is

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

A number of these tech trends have started to be tackled (advance research stage to prototype development stage) in the R&D department of a tech company where a brother I know works. These are no longer surprising.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Clearly the future is in AI. What appears to me is that in the West we talk excitedly about these things and in the East they have little reason to hold back and implement advanced technology as quickly as possible.

I don't think the West is tired in the sense that industry began here and now it has had its day but we harbour a little scepticism, perhaps conservatively thinking there are moral concerns which could detract from the benefits. in China, correct me if I'm wrong FTS but there has been a relatively recent dramatic change in society resulting from the benefits of technology and industrialisation, which trajectory seemingly has no bounds. If technology is good then why not implement it asap? Is this the state of mind in China?

• knowsnothing1
    knowsnothing1

I've always loved to dabble in tech. AI will become ever more pervasive. The big leap will be, I believe, in quantum computing. That's the real game changer.

The question is when.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Apologies for not following through on this post, I just got so busy that I had to drop a bunch of interests.

I wanted to post on the subject of AI because it seems to becoming more important all the time. Have also not had the time to search for another topic on the subject that I started a few years back. At that time, some posters were somewhat sceptical and I wanted to see what the current feelings/ conclusions on AI may be now?

The first poster (who may have been able to offer interesting insights on AI) seemed somewhat dismissive on the subject. But then I thought he may have been dismissive of my first post. I chose that list in my first post because it offered a series of sub-topics that could be explored. Its from a Chinese company because I spend most of my research time on what is happening in China,

And, from a Chinese perspective, what do you think about this planned Chinese deep-sea project that (it is suggested) will be (maybe) run by AI and manned by robots. Here's a conceptual image from the newspaper article (although the story was very vague about what the image was):

The story was posted in the (now) Hongkong based Asia Times, which is still owned ( I believe) by David Goldman, a former NY financier.

Link: http://www.atimes.com/article/chinas-atlantean-ambition-for-the-south-china-sea//?fbclid=IwAR3jJ0KfGYqJygym-iU7bEz0gbQNvBOmz7ApFwKLif_zo9iq0rvSvsCQur4

Quote: "The proposed new base, which could in theory be operated 24/7 through usage of cutting-edge artificial intelligence (AI) technology, would dramatically bolster China’s quest for superiority in a largely unseen underwater struggle for one of the world’s most important waterways."

and.

"One reported candidate location for the proposed base is the Manila Trench, which reaches a depth of about 5,400 meters and is known to be pervaded by negative gravity anomalies. .... The ambitious project was launched in early December by the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, according to media reports. "

At a depth of 5.4 km such a project could not be manned by humans. But will it work? I guess we will have to wait and see. (well, maybe I wont see, as the limits of my existence are in sight)

I'll get around to commenting on the other posts soon.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

1. Plausible.

2. Couple of things: Is the "so-called Turing Test" actually a test of a "machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equals that of a human"? Also, note "in certain areas"

3. Not familiar with this.

4. No.

5. "accelerating the arrival of AI and the quantum-computing era" -- how specifically?

6. Ok, but 5g has its limitations

7. Yes.

8. "fixed-route public transport and unmanned delivery around commercial buildings and campuses" Plausible.

9. Plausible.

10. Plausible.

Yes AI is "hot" and there's a lot of cool stuff out there; but TBH, the math/algorithms underpinning it all hasn't advanced much since the 80s (the implementation/hardware has, though)

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Half banana "Clearly the future is in AI. What appears to me is that in the West we talk excitedly about these things and in the East they have little reason to hold back and implement advanced technology as quickly as possible."

I suggest that if you see East Asia as a whole, what I've quoted from your post is quite correct.

The attitude of the Japanese since the American 'foot-in-door" approach in the nineteenth C, is quite similar to the approach taken by contemporary China.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A University of California news item discussing AI was posted on January 9, 2019.

"Can artificial intelligence tell a polar bear from a can opener?"

The discussion was opened with the question, "How smart is the form of artificial intelligence known as deep learning computer networks, and how closely do these machines mimic the human brain?"

If this topic interests you, then you can read of the results of five experiments in this news item:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/can-artificial-intelligence-tell-polar-bear-can-opener

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

On a positive note, (dated 4th Jan. 2019) the same web-site reported that, AI detected Alzheimer's disease in brain scans 6 years before a diagnosis..

Read this coverage at: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/artificial-intelligence-can-detect-alzheimer-s-disease-brain-scans-6-years-diagnosis

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Here's a video on this topic that's a bit upbeat (depending on your viewpoint).

It'a titled, "Robots and AI: The Future is Automated and every Job is at Risk."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBAdnNIIXk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a part 2 also, titled, "A Tale of Two Cities: How Smart Robots and AI Will Transform America."

The blurb states. "Automation is already reshaping cities, just as the manufacturing collapse hollowed out America's heartland. This is a tale of two cities, comparing the Rust Belt to Las Vegas, the city that is expected to be hit the hardest by job displacement due to robotics, artificial intelligence, 3D printing and other technologies in this fourth industrial revolution.

AJ+'s documentary series on automation explores how advancements in artificial intelligence, robotics, machine learning and automated vehicles will affect jobs, cities and inequality. From trucking to radiology, new technology is already changing white collar and blue collar occupations, reshaping cities and concentrating wealth in the hands of the few. Robots are taking over the world as companies like Tesla, Amazon, Uber and Google are using robots to automate."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS2J71U5MGg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit