Artificial Intelligence and 2019

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

AI is also becoming pervasive even in such unlikely fields of study as History.

I first saw this news story on Histroy News Network, but since it was re-posted from Forbes magazine, I will use that link:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2019/01/10/using-big-data-and-ai-to-understand-the-patterns-of-our-history-and-tell-us-about-our-future/#27af02ee6142

As the author notes: Quote - "In short, we have both the data and the computational tools today to visualize and understand human history in ways we could never before imagine."

The article is worth is worth reading for that thought alone.

Maybe. someday, an enterprising young historian may attempt a similar analysis on the history of Judaism and Christianity'

• knowsnothing1
    knowsnothing1

Millions of jobs will be displaced. Wealth inequality is already at an all time high. What makes us think automation will usher in an utopia?

Here's further reading to digest on, what the singularity could bring.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

It's a long read, but totally worth it if your into this sort of thing. You should be, it's already influencing your life somehow.

• Simon
    Simon

What gets hyped as AI is invariably pattern matching. I've yet to see any example of AI that is actual AI. It's all hype. Computers can pattern match against increasingly complex models with masses of data at high speed ... but it's not intelligence.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Simon: "What gets hyped as AI is invariably pattern matching. I've yet to see any example of AI that is actual AI. It's all hype. Computers can pattern match against increasingly complex models with masses of data at high speed ... but it's not intelligence."

Thnx for your comment Simon. I guess that is indicative that your opinion on AI remains about the same as when this was last discussed.

But, I wanted to ask, Is pattern matching (of any type) a mark of some sort of intelligence. ?

Here's an extract from a Wikipedia on the topic: (and apologies for such a long cut and paste).

"In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, pattern recognition describes a cognitive process that matches information from a stimulus with information retrieved from memory.[1]

Pattern recognition occurs when information from the environment is received and entered into short-term memory, causing automatic activation of a specific content of long-term memory. An early example of this is learning the alphabet in order. When a carer repeats ‘A, B, C’ multiple times to a child, utilizing the pattern recognition, the child says ‘C’ after he/she hears ‘A, B’ in order. Recognizing patterns allow us to predict and expect what is coming. The process of pattern recognition involves matching the information received with the information already stored in the brain. Making the connection between memories and information perceived is a step of pattern recognition called identification. Pattern recognition requires repetition of experience. Semantic memory, which is used implicitly and subconsciously is the main type of memory involved with recognition.[2]

Pattern recognition is not only crucial to humans, but to other animals as well. Even koalas, who possess less-developed thinking abilities, use pattern recognition to find and consume eucalyptus leaves. The human brain has developed more, but holds similarities to the brains of birds and lower mammals. The development of neural networks in the outer layer of the brain in humans has allowed for better processing of visual and auditory patterns. Spatial positioning in the environment, remembering findings, and detecting hazards and resources to increase chances of survival are examples of the application of pattern recognition for humans and animals.[3]

There are six main theories of pattern recognition: template matching, prototype-matching, feature analysis, recognition-by-components theory, bottom-up and top-down processing, and Fourier analysis. The application of these theories in everyday life is not mutually exclusive. Pattern recognition allows us to read words, understand language, recognize friends, and even appreciate music. Each of the theories applies to various activities and domains where pattern recognition is observed. Facial, music and language recognition, and seriation are a few of such domains. Facial recognition and seriation occur through encoding visual patterns, while music and language recognition use the encoding of auditory patterns."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_recognition_(psychology)

• Simon
    Simon

Some things rely on pattern matching - recognizing faces for instance. But real AI is the ability to piece together information and come to conclusions. Even the "clever" apps are really stupid beyond belief - just try having any conversation with any of the "smart" home hubs from the leaders (Amazon, Google etc...). There is simply zero intelligence.

As an example, Google can scan your emails and recognize patterns for flight bookings. They give you an app that organizes your itinerary and suggests places to visit (cough, people who've paid them money for ads, cough) in the city you're going to. But it doesn't really "know" that you won't be at home, it won't turn the heating down unless someone specifically programs it to do that. It's all people pulling levers and pieces of string behind the scenes to fool people.

Another example, if I put an appointment in my phone to say "4:30 - pick Dylan up after Uni" ... it has zero capability of saying "hmmn, Dylan is your son, he gets the train home from uni, the train takes X minutes and your drive takes Y minutes so you'd need to leave at 4:15 to get there for 4:30. Nope, reminded pops up at 4:30 because it's a simpleton, a step up from the wind-up alarm clock of yesteryear, with more bells and whistles and fancy screens, but still zero intelligence to know "oh, you're off work today ... I'll let you sleep in".

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I came across this discussion on YT. Simply expresses its looking at how AI, humans and robotics could work together. It was a TED talk by a Maurice Conti, with the title: The incredible inventions of intuitive AI.

Conti suggests that technology will amplify our cognitive abilities in this 3 way alliance. Watch it, I think that it will be 15 minutes well spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR5N2Jl8k14

• gone for good
    gone for good

Mr. Conti glazed over climate change pretty fast given that it may well be the trigger to our extinction, and possibly soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit