Foreign holidays now expicitly forbidden too

by George One Time 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

That list on jay-dubya-dot-org, effing hell, JWs can't celebrate anything.

Although, despite a number of festivals/holidays from across the world, not one Islamic festival was mentioned!

Not one!

No Eid Al-Fitr, no Ramadan, no Eid Al-Adha. Interesting ...

• Giordano
    Giordano
    There is a festival/party held in Mexico for girls when they turn 15. The jw there take part while the wt looks the other way.

Hell, the WT, back in the day,made sure that the JW's in Mexico denied they were a religion so their beloved KH would not be confiscated.

When the JW's are threatened with confiscation of their printing presses and property they push back........... when the Brothers and Sisters are locked up......not so much.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Anything fun has to be eliminated. I would imagine since the Jewish religion celebrates the leaving of Egypt, the WT didn't grab that as something the witnesses could celebrate.

Hahaha they could celebrate when the WT leaders were thrown in jail and got out. Everyone could dress in sackcloth and eat dry bread for "3 days".

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Well, if the Borg don't want any fun, why they don't create a festival of their own....after that the Israelites had in ancient times three main festivals.... festivals that involve pilgrimages, food, rejoicing, etc.....that could make Borgland not soo boring. Make the Spiritual Paradise Great Again. !

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Do Jehovah’s Witnesses tell others not to celebrate certain holidays?

No. They believe that each person must make his own decision. (Joshua 24:15) Jehovah’s Witnesses “honor men of all sorts,” regardless of their religious beliefs.​—1 Peter 2:​17.

--

Of course they do, that's something "householders" read about in the Bible Teach book. The wording is misleading at best and really beside the point anyway.

• Simon
    Simon
    Of course they do, that's something "householders" read about in the Bible Teach book. The wording is misleading at best and really beside the point anyway.

I think the "others" means "non Jehovah's Witnesses". A JW at work shouldn't tell a colleague that they shouldn't celebrate birthdays for instance.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

"Synynym for "ones" ....use your imagination..."

No idea what you're implying, sorry.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I'm glad this wasn't studied recently as my active JW wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren are joining us at my mother's home for Thanksgiving today. 😀Shhhhh, don't tell.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was raised in a family that was "in the truth." Despite this, we always had turkey for Thanksgiving. I can't remember any time that we did not have turkey.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I personally don't think that the Org is "against anything fun", per se.

It's really about socially isolating loyal members from non-members, so as to avoid encountering anything that calls their ideology into question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit