Do we suck in JW's unawares?

by jgnat 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Nordic
    Nordic

Quote from the pure JW site. Well, we wanted to reflect more closely to our society and not have Jehovahs name in our title. Afterall the Watchtower Bible and tract society doesn’t use Jehovahs name. and some may have felt that maybe we'd look like those apostate sites using Jehovahs name and we didn’t want to cause reproach on Jehovah. So I will send you an application from the new site, Which is just like the old one with the same members, only the members are all active, and the jwotw 2/3 weren't. So we weeded out the members who forgot they were members or for one reason or another don’t have a computer any more.

• jgnat
    jgnat

On private discussion with Northern Girl, it seems she is primarily concerned that JWD might be fooling ordinary, “worldly” people into thinking that we represent Jehovah’s finest.

wednesday - it just goes to show we come here for many, many different reasons.

Francois - ya got me! IP address=string of numbers. While we are nit-picking, isn’t it the Queen’s English now? Charles has yet to assume the throne. By the way, ouch! Your comments would have to sting a JW intellectual.

Euphemism - now THAT motivation by a loyal JW I would believe.

JeffT - true, a thinking JW should catch on fairly quickly, as “free and open discussion“ is just not in their lexicon. Northern Girl is quite correct that it would likely be worldly people who would be shocked to discover that the Jehovah’s Witnesses have problems!

SheilaM - I no longer take it for granted that I can read what I like, think what I like, and write what I like. Thanks, WTS, for waking me up to my democratic freedoms. I hope we can suck tons of JW’s to expressing their own thoughts, not pre-digested by the society.

BluesBrother - lol. Perhaps they could reassure themselves that they partook, but did not inhale.

Oxnard Hamster and Euphemism - I vote we gang up on Valis, Beans and pr_capone to appoint some more overbeers. The congregation is expanding, and we are thirsty!

Nordic - *phew* keeping the Internet pure sure is a lot of work. Do they also have a double firewall to keep out demonic hackers? ...and a short note on sloppy logic. Using Jehovah’s name for an admittedly imperfect organization honours Jehovah. But using Jehovah’s name in a website address dishonours Jehovah?

I find it telling that the official WT site does not provide current publications online for browsing. There is no e-mail address to send inquires to the WTBTS. Information flow is one way, with all the disclosure on the inquirer’s side (submit your name and address, and a publisher will be happy to appear at your doorstep for a book study).

...reminds me of a day my daughter asked me to check out Watkins, a direct sales outfit. She was worried she might have entangled herself in a pyramid scheme. A quick google search should reveal if there was any problems with Watkins (there wasn’t). I told her, “Don’t worry. If there were any scandal attached to Watkins, it would pop up. If I key in Jehovah’s Witnesses I get oodles of scandal sites“. My honey hollered, “Hey! I heard that!”

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

<looks around anxiously>

Yeah! Where can I purchase an overbeer in unawares? <wiggles eyebrows>

CG

• jgnat
    jgnat

overbeers in unawares! LOLOLOL

Country Girl, it only took me about two hours to catch your pun.

The Legion in my smalltown have a meat draw every Friday evening, very popular. The townsfolk all show up, and eagerly wait to see who had won a succulent side of fresh beefsteak. I laughed so hard when I found out about it. You see, the legion in the next town over have a Friday night auction, too, where they auction off a fine male date for the evening. I told my smalltown friends they had the draw all backwards...got me to thinking. A fresh meat auction might be a most tasteful and entertaining fundraiser...

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

No problems with this site. How about you?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Me? The site is a lifesaver. I have no problem with the name, quite descriptive if you ask me. The WTS may be gnashing their teeth that they did not snap up the domain name. But, Oh, well, the race to the fleetest, I guess.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I think that those who make this complaint are really talking to themselves. They just don't have the courage to admit it.

• Water
    Water

I think that 'Everyone Welcome' is an open invitation. I have noticed posts from active JW's, former JW's and never JW's. This site seems (IMHO) to live up to it's invitation.

Thank You Simon for providing a place to openly discuss issues surrounding the Watchtower Corporation.

Water

• jgnat
    jgnat

Big_Tex, I bet you have hit the motive behind the words dead-on. I will remember that.

Welcome newbie Water! You seem to have caught the flavour and intent of the forum very quickly.

• avengers
    avengers

Hey. How many overbeers are there? What are the qualifications?

In my district there already is an overbeer. But it is a she. Would it be ok to be an underbeer?

lol. please don't let her know.

The Watchtower? I can laugh about it now. hahaahahah. down, down down as the flames get higher then you burn burn burn ...

Sorry I can't help it. I give the WT credit for some things though. They are the best spindoctors in the world. I invite you to name better.

Sounds like a good topic.

here's some excellent spin-doctoring as example: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/54641/793093/post.ashx#793093

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit