Do we suck in JW's unawares?

by jgnat 36 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

By title of this forum: Jehovahs-Witness.com, and the open registration: ...everyone welcome! Do we suck in Jehovah's Witnesses unawares? By its IP address alone, are we being deceptive?

Everyone's opinion welcome!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

I thought the title of this thread said something completly different.

To answer your question, yes I believe there have been a few who assume this site is for JW's. I do not think the name of the site is deceptive, as all one must do is read one thread and know this is not a JW site.

Hugs

jgnat!!

• Simon
    Simon

No, I don't think we're being deceptive ... it's a Jehovahs Witness discussion forum, for topics pertaining to Jehovahs Witnesses.

It's not like there is some "mock" safeguards where you have to declare you are baptised and in good standing or need to quote the closing song from that week's service meeting to join or we're otherwise making out that everyone who posts has to be a current JW. The "Everyone Welcome" would need to change to "only zealots need apply"

And of course, everyone is free to read the topics before they join and decide what the site is like.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks for being the first to reply, Cassi. I am afraid to ask what you thought my topic was.... I have some definite opinions on this subject, but I will wait until a few more reply before I "let the cat out of the bag".

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, Simon. And while we are at it, do you think other posters will be afraid to post their opinions, now that you have given yours?

• core
    core

Any thinking person could read only a few comments on this site to get the message that this is not the 'mother' organisation speaking

But then most JWs are not thinking people as they have undergone years of thought removal. To merely be surfing is almost a DF offense so no one should worry about innocents abroad here being sucked in.

Just as an aside the forum is a credit to Simon and his helpers.. any JW who is sucked in unawares DOES have plenty to think about when they leave this site.

• Simon
    Simon
    do you think other posters will be afraid to post their opinions, now that you have given yours?

No, it's never stopped them before ! (and why should they?)

Actually, I do get a few emails each month demanding that I remove them from this evil site ... apparently some people do sign up before reading anything. (hey, they dedicated their life to a load of baloney without proper research, what's a web form ...)

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

jgnat

I am afraid to ask what you thought my topic was

I thought the last word was underware, not unawares.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I first found this site a couple of years ago, when it had the tagline "be careful not to stumble your brothers", or something like that. It also seemed to be a bit more witnessy... there was a forum for discussing field service, or something like that, if memory serves. So I was kinda annoyed (I was a loyal dub at the time); it did seem deceptive to me.

When I came back to it sometime later, and saw that the tagline about stumbling had been replaced with "everyone welcome", everything seemed okay to me. Anyone who knows the English language should be able to figure out that "everyone welcome" means that membership is not restricted to dubs!

• Hamas
    Hamas

We should welcome lost sheep with open arms.

Nothing biblical about that statement, I'm just saying that we should do our best to help them see the real truth about the 'truth'. Many members, including just recently with Uknowthetruth, seem to leave us so soon after an unsuccesful attempt at telling us the org is the best place to be.

These people leave, but the first seeds of doubt are placed thanks to this forum. I myself was a member of this forum with an old alias, and lets just say this place helped convert me into a full blown apostate also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit