Another interesting comment made by a PIMI JW

by joe134cd 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I thought I’d shear this with you good people. The cognitive dissonance is just breath taking. I over heard this comment at a relatives family dinner the other night. Here it was declared to me that “there is no bible president that forbids the growing of beards,,” and that “Jehovah’s organisation has never stopped anyone from growing a beard.”

There you go folks. I really wanted to say something, but knew that doing so would just confirm to them I was an angry bitter apostate, who had an axe to grind. I just sat there, kept my mouth shut, and smiled.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

This is what always infuriated me---how they spin everything so that the blame is always away from them.

So if jehoavah's organization never stopped anyone from growing a beard, why did the male dubs get passed over for the 'privileges"? Why were they denied being able to pray in front of the congregation? Why where they brought to the back and given reproof? The hypocrisy is over the top . Please someone pass me a bucket, I feel a little throw up coming up my throat

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

In this Kingdom Hall meeting, I see eight clean shaven men! In the 40 years I was a Jehovah's Witness, never did I see a beard. For some reason, a moustache is fine but long sideburns, goatees and beards were forbidden. This to me was always a man-made rule!

Here is an example where they claim that someone with a beard is '' not considered a servant of God,'' but a troublemaker. I guess the clean shaven can be trusted, but those who have a beard cannot!

And they fail to explain how a beard might stumble someone!

“Extreme hair styles can easily lead one into a trap of the Devil also, and cause others to stumble. For example, a young man in the United States was making fine progress in his study of the Bible, and he was moved to share with an experienced Witness in preaching to others about the good things he was learning from the Bible. From early youth he had let his beard grow, and since some in the business community wore beards, he felt that his wearing one in preaching to others would be acceptable generally. But in speaking to a lady he was unable to do more than introduce himself, when she said: "I'm sorry, young man, I do not want to become involved in student revolt." No amount of explanation after this sufficed to clear up the misimpression. After the conversation ended with the closing of the door, he asked the experienced Witness what had happened. He was invited to consider his appearance in relation to what he claimed to be, a servant of God. Not wanting to be responsible for even one person's being stumbled so as to miss the way to everlasting life, this new Kingdom publisher shaved off his beard. Would you be willing to do the same or to make similar adjustments if your appearance gave the wrong impression in a certain community?” Watchtower 1975 Aug 15 pp.500,501

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

In hindsight, it would have been better for me if I had never been invited (or appointed) to receive so-called privileges in the congregation, since I would have been less involved with the religion and thus maybe out of the religion much sooner, or maybe even never became baptized into the religion. If had begun having a beard by eighth grade (and thus exercised more of an independent attitude, including of independent thinking), then I probably would never have been: allowed to become baptized (or possibly never allowed to become baptized), passing the microphones down the isles, an assistant in the sound department, in charge of the sound department, an assistant of the magazine counter, in charge of the magazine counter, an assistant of the literature counter/department, in charge of the literature department, assigned #4 talks (I became assigned those talks right after I became baptized), a ministerial servant, an auxiliary pioneer, a regular pioneer, assigned public talks, assigned service meeting talks, an attendant at circuit assemblies, an attendant at special assemblies, an attendant at district conventions, asked to give a prayer to the congregation, asked to give a prayer to the book study group, asked to conduct a meeting of field service, asked to conduct a book study meeting, asked to read paragraphs out loud at book study meetings, asked to read paragraphs at loud at congregational Watchtower study meetings, an attendant passing the emblems of the Memorial, and possibly assigned other JW responsibilities.

If I never had any of the possible responsibilities, then I would have had more time to socialize before and after congregational meetings, and I would have had more free time to do what I really wanted to do.

• wozza
    wozza

Back in the early 1980's in my congregation was a brother reaching out for the "priveledge" of ministerial servant . He was in his 30's had a family and was popular with the congregation.

Trouble was he had a tightly trimmed beard. We would work on the field often and on one occasion we talked about this issue of facial hair and he was told by the body of elders he would have to lose the beard if he wanted to be a n MS. He agonized over this and did'nt want to shave it and even said to me that he had a skin condition that shaving irritated but still the elders said he had to shave . Well he did shave and shortly after was made an MS and his skin did visibly show problems but he must have found a way to treat his affliction for he became an elder and is still a JW to this day.

This is only one instance I have seen of many ,so anyone who tells you the WTS does not enforce this is deluded or lying .

• wozza
    wozza

And yet many elders have a moustache ,now that's what I call Pharasaical

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Stupidity Runs real deep in JW Land.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

beard story....a man who had worn a beard for many years, shaved, got baptized, went out in service. He knocked at a door and a woman answered and he said ( name of one of his ex wives ) She asked him who he was. He reported to the car group that she didn't recognize him without a beard and a beer.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    • "Stupidity Runs real deep in JW Land."

You can't fix stupid.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Beth Sarim- I had all the qualifications as an Elder but I have a skin condition that makes shaving not practical or healthy for me. " Sorry, can't make you an elder because of the hair on your face." Who cares about your book smarts and teaching ability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit