slimboyfat rejoins the Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 42 Replies latest members adult

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Love the dry humour and brilliant characterisation, always look for your avatar on latest topics list. Please keep coming and going, it brightens my day. Thanks for the wry look at life.

• Onager
    Onager

"species extinction or other ham made catastrophes"

I think this is very telling.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

SBF

Good one.

When I go to meetings with family, I find it incredibly boring. The best thing about the new technology where everyone is looking at their tablets or phones is that now I can play chess and surf the internet and no one knows.

About the occasional quote of Byington translation. The WT owns the printing rights for that translation, and they let the paper copy go out of print. The only way a modern JW will get to see it is on their tablet. So at least the WT has done a good thing to keep it published, if only electronically.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I kind of get it.

• Fernando
    Fernando

What a strong stomach you have SBF!

I have not been able to set foot in one of those dens of apostasy for more than 7 years.

And good on you for waking up any of the locals that are not on the watch and may have fallen asleep...

Keep them on their toes...

One day they might thank you...

Especially when they trump the Watchtower in a moment of lucid inspiration...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    slimboyfat - "...one brother said, 'in the world they think being gay is a choice, but we know it's not a choice that any Christian would make'..."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    slimboyfat - "...it hasn't done much to help them think very clearly or coherently on the subject."

Were you actually expecting it to? :smirk:

• steve2
    steve2

The most popular exercise in the world is jumping to wrong conclusions - we're all prone to it to one degree or another.

I spotted the wickedly wry observations in SBF's OP and thought the title was an obvious "take" on what he may have thought others would expect him to do. No one with as much brain power as SBF could ever literally "rejoin" the JWs without permanent blushing.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Anyone attending now,after a while,would certainly wonder where he was.

If the hall has had a recent make-over it will be more dull and office like. Maybe just grey & blue, rather spartan with none of the decorative features. It is all done by Bethel now,the locals have no say.

Are JWs losing their skill of fast scripture finding because of tablet technology

Yes. one has to have the latest state of the art tablet or be "out" of fashion and considered a dinosaur

Then I realised that Byington is included in the new Bible app

Typical...

During the talk the brother proved we are living in the end times because there were great earthquakes and wars in the past century.....

Speakers rarely update their material and it is noticeable that the quality of speakers has declined rapidly

Wt. Study

Imagine there was an elder who always called on his wife first before anyone else all the time. It's the sort of tiny thing I can imagine some JWs actually getting upset about

That is not tiny to the other sisters who want to answer, nothing angers them more, believe me. Then there are the misogynists who never ask sisters or always do do last.. they are hated......Human nature prevails among the "happiest people on earth" !

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

scratchme1010, about the "unprecedented" thing, yes you're right that every generation sees itself as living in unprecedented times, and with obvious justification.

However there are some things happening now which we could justifiably describe as unique in human history.

1. Since the late 1940s with nuclear bombs humans now have the ability to destroy all human life on the planet within a very short period. Humans never had this ability before, and having developed it there seems to be little prospect of reversing the capability.

2. For the first time in the history of the planet humans are now dictating the course of the global climate which is raising the prospect of global calamity.

3. Human activity has caused such a reduction in global biodiversity it has been described as a mass extinction event on a level with an asteroid impact in previous ages, threatening our ability to sustain ourselves in unpredictable ways.

4. Many foresee the development of strong artificial intelligence in the next few decades that could alter, supersede or destroy humanity.

When JWs claim the wars, famines, diseases and earthquakes of the last century are unprecedented they are on pretty shaky ground. But they do effectively tap into a broader sense that humanity is presently at a crossroads. A sense that many, from military strategists, to environmentalists, to technology futurists, and people generally seem to share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit