Recent study links processed meats to cancer

by duc007az 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• duc007az
    duc007az

So a recent study says processed meats are just as dangerous as cigarettes when it comes to cancer. The WTBS has had a long time stance that smoking is a df offense. My question is if there's proof beyond doubt, why doesn't the WTBS make eating processed meats a df offense?

I get it. Smoking is harmful to the body and it offends a majority of people. However, I've seen a considerable amount of grossly overweight JW's addicted to food of which I'm assuming includes processed meats. But their manageable weight also offends. I also notice a couple of gb members that could ease up on the processed meats.

I just made some bacon and smoked a cigar as I typed this

• Simon
    Simon

But ... but ... Jehovah was always telling people to eat meat, right from Cain and Abel - you mean he didn't know?! LOL

I don't think meat is *AS* dangerous as cigarettes - that is misleading. It increases your chances but it's from a much lower risk point.

I wonder though if we're approaching a tipping point against meat - there are a number of factors converging:

• The devastating impact on the climate of raising cows. Those methane machines are worse than cars!
    • The incredible amount of water needed for meat production when it's becoming more constrained (yeah, and almonds)
    • The ethical question of raising and killing captive animals for food and the humane treatment of them
    • The fact that the end result now kills us!

Bacon will never stop being delicious but to be honest, I consider meat something that takes room on the plate that could be better filled with Sprouts, Carrots, Yorkshire Pudding and Roast Potatoes. Mmmnnn,

• millie210
    millie210
    I think the word in the study to focus on is the word "processed" not the word meat,
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you stop eating processed meats you will still die.

If you are concerned, eat less processed meats.

• cofty
    cofty

Typical lazy science journalism.

The WHO report said no such thing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm sure all the fast food hamburger restaurants cringed upon hearing that.

Its just as well, a good recommendation nevertheless for its shown that most modernized

wealthy countries the population consumes too much red meat contributing to obesity and heart disease.

Eating more plant based foods has shown to produce a healthier result on many levels.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

No link so I don't know what to make of this exactly. When evaluating risk, though, you have to be careful. I think there was a study a while ago that stated that if a man eats a bacon sandwich every day for lunch it increases the risk of prostate cancer by 20%, which sounds pretty big. But since only ~5% of men have prostate cancer, the risk only goes from 5% to 6%. Not a significant change. Especially if you're in your 40s or older - the question you should be asking is not "what are the odds this will kill me" but instead "how many years does this effectively cut off my life." If smoking will take 20 years to kill you and you're 60, then the answer is that it's probably not going to have a significant impact on lifespan. Same goes for eating bacon.

It's somewhat funny that most people live their lives in reverse when it comes to evaluating risk - they take risks in their youth, when they have more life to lose, and become more risk-adverse in old age when it doesn't matter as much. We should all drive slow and eat healthy until our 40s, then start drinking, smoking and eating everything in sight.

Anyways, that was a bit of a tangent. As far as I'm concerned, if bacon is as bad for me as smoking then I guess I might as well start smoking because I'm never giving up bacon. Yep, that logic checks out.

• newsheep
    newsheep

After walking through a few of bethel's warehouses just crammed with skids and skids up to the ceilings with Hershey's chocolates and candies, I'll take my chances on the processed meats rather than pure sugar.

When we use to deliver our product of processed meats to them, they didn't mind paying a pretty penny for other companies crappy bacon and breakfast sausage. If going broke doesn't kill them then I hope the processed meats do!!!!! But just the higher ups of course.

• sir82
    sir82

Yes, but is life worth living if there is no bacon in it?

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Enjoy life. We will all die.

SL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit