Does the WTS have a clergy class

by blondie 31 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

This can be confusing because the WTS has adjusted from not having a clergy class to not having a "paid" clergy class.

"A congregation of brothers precludes having a proud clergy class that honors itself with high-sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity" WT 6/1/2001 p. 12, pp 11. still same idea in 2021 WT October, p. 20, pp. 7, but 2022 in the WT publication, Frequently Asked Questions About Jehovah’s Witnesses, page 13, the WTS inserts "paid" in front of "clergy perhaps to shore up their current statement in secular courts they have clergy, just not paid) "Following the model of first-century Christianity, Jehovah’s Witnesses have no clergy-laity division. All baptized Witnesses are ordained ministers and share in the preaching and teaching work. Witnesses are organized into congregations of about 100 believers. Spiritually mature men in each congregation serve as “older men,” or elders. (Titus 1:5) They do so without being paid for their services."

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The Watchtower would have to in an attempt to put on some semblance of an honest organization.

The biggest example is using the legal loophole in some states that do not have a legal requirement for clergy to report sex abuse. I was surprised to learn recently that it is either New York or New Jersey where there is a huge sex abuse based law suit against the Watchtower where this loophole is being exploited by the Watchtower.

Elder = Clergy

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'm sure that back in the 80's at least, here in the UK, Elders could use a 'clergy' loophole in order to avoid being 'called up' if there was a need for them to join the armed forces.

I'm sure, in any case, the drunken GovBod will use and not use 'clergy' type privileges for their own booze swilling ends.

What was that you said TOMO 3rd? Oh, it was you hiccupping. Better lay off the sauce, mate!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

But they do have a paid clergy class....Circuit overseer's (the most thoughtless name for an American religion!).

The stipend of Christendom's clergy is entirely the same thing as the monthly allowance of that of a CO!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

"All members are equal, but some members are more equal than others."

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

There was a time long ago when I believed all that bile the Witchtower spewed endlessly about the clergy of christendom.

Having spent the past two and a half decades or more in close association with people who are clergy I can testify that it just isn’t true, it’s part of the web of lies that the Witchtower spins.

But they do have a paid clergy class....Circuit overseer's (the most thoughtless name for an American religion!).

Exactly!

The stipend of Christendom's clergy is entirely the same thing as the monthly allowance of that of a CO!

Yep, precisely right.

• dozy
    dozy

A Watchtower attorney by the name of Calvin Rouse ( in the Menlo Park case , where the Society were attempting to establish their ownership of a Kingdom Hall ) told a judge: “We are a hierarchical religion just like the Catholic Church.”

The idea that they "aren't paid so we are different" always sounded to me a bit weak even when I was an active JW and I would have struggled to defend it if questioned. The GB are always dressed well and (it would seem) have more than sufficient disposable income if required ( for whisky purchases , for example!) But also - if all your food , accommodation , travel costs , vehicle , laundry , cleaning , vacation costs , healthcare - indeed , every expense is paid for and every service is provided free of charge - what difference in practice does that make from being paid by an organisation? The distinction seems a bit spurious , to me. Indeed - in many ways , it is better than being paid.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

WT precludes having a proud clergy class that honors itself with high-sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity

They are partially correct. They do not have a clergy class they just have a proud ELDER class that honors itself with terms like Coordinator for the body of elders, Service Overseer, Secretary, Circuit Overseer, Branch Overseer, governing body, helper to the governing body, ad nauseam. And as said above all the freebies that they receive courtesy of "voluntary" donations by the gullible sheeple are in fact pay. Just ask any CPA or tax advisor if it is considered income/pay for tax purposes in the U.S. when it is given to a member of a business.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Governing body, Elder, pioneer, MS, CO, annointed are highsounding titles.

Clergy confidentiality is a thing. Gossip, asking for direction before acting, investigating are not confidential. Elders are not given any training in psychology, medicine, social work, just given a rule book. Then we have to deal with personality, intelligence, lack of decency, voyeurism, bad tempers. There are mean bosses and kind ones.

Every organization has to have a structure to function. Some are rigid, some use sense, some get greedy.

A distinction on duties is needed to keep spinster pioneers away from jails, as has happened.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It kind of puts a smile on my face when I look back on it. I remember getting a stern telling off when I made a comparison of elders and priests, to an interested bible student. The clergy class back then were part of Babylon the great. Now they are not only part of Babylon the great but they do it voluntarily as the don’t get paid for it. Lol.

Evidently it was the lawyer admitting that they were a hierarchical religion in the Menlo Park case. That woke me up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit