Org Is RACIST! Towards Sisters Of COLOR In Particular--IMO!

by HiddlesWife 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

When they demand that you are submissive to all men, do not give an opinion on anything and are treated like a second class citizen it is very oppressive.

• tiki
    tiki

Reminds me of the time my husband and I were in the local home depot....prior to our defection....and there was an elder there....he told me he was looking for some lawn product, so I told him where it was and the best one to use....well he looked at me like I had two heads then trotted over to my husband several feet away and asked him the question...husband told him exactly the identical thing I'd just told him....he proceeded to thank the one with the penis profusely then trundled off to the outdoor section to get the stuff. Pathetic, huh.....

• Simon
    Simon

All Abrahamic / Middle Eastern religions are misogynistic. That's not really news to anyone is it?

But claiming that it's racist to use a black actor seems ... well, racist. How would you make them *not* racist ... never have any black people? Then people (probably the same people) would scream "racism" again.

Until someone invents a neopolitan-ice-cream style person that has a bit of every race I guess ...

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think it probably is tougher in the UK for a black sister to find a marriage mate, just because there are less of them, that's all. If she didn't necessarily care whether her husband was black or not it would make it slightly easier for her. I've no doubt that the racism of individual brothers/families could also make things tougher. But I don't think the society is racist for using a black sister, I think they are trying to portray quite the opposite.

NB Cofty you cannot be serious about WT having a "paternal" attitude to women. Maybe individual brothers/elders etc may have this attitude, but the society's attitude to women is and always has been toxic.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Scully - "In my experience, the Organization™ has no respect for any human that lacks a penis..."

It doesn't display a whole ton of respect to the ones who have one, for that matter.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Simon - "Until someone invents a neopolitan-ice-cream style person that has a bit of every race I guess..."

I think humanity's already well on its way towards that.

I'm all for it...

...it sticks it good to the racist assholes of the world, and far more often than not, people of mixed ancestry are gorgeous.

• new boy
    new boy

"it really, really pisses me off when stuff like this is going on in the Org; this is not supposed to happen there." Oh really?

I first encountered racism in the organization at bethel. One of the worse jobs at bethel is the bindery line. Go there and check it out 80% of the people there are black or spanish.

If it looks like shit and smells like shit it just might be .......

Look at the history.

It's a white male dominated organization

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I'm a "non and never been a JW" African American professional female with a couple of college degrees who was insanely curious about what all the commotion was about with respect to the convention videos. I too squirmed uncomfortably in my seat as I watched the African-American female cleaning toilets and struggling with her singleness. As a female person of color who is not in the JW world, the videos were insulting.

• blondie
    blondie

There are so few eligible men in the WTS and as any single sister ages, even less available because of the concept that the woman must be younger.

I can remember 2 sisters getting into a fight because a white sister had married a black brother, diminishing a small pool of candidates for the black sisters. I have noticed that people in this area think black men are more likely to marry white women, than a white man to marry a black woman. I haven't done any stats on that but it creates bad feelings in the congregations I have attended. There are still some older jws that feel you should not marry outside your race...

I have found it is not enough to attend a congregation that has both black and white members....the true marker is do they socialize with those outside their race or comfort zone. Not so much, blacks with blacks, whites with whites.

After 137 years the WTS has had only one black man on the GB. Congregations are set up demographically, so black neighborhoods have black congregations unless the WTS integrates a congregation by sending in white elders/families (who complain in my experience).(or vice versa).

I have been in congregations 3/4 black where the COBOE gave a local needs talk about how some lighter black jws did not associate with the darker black jws....he was of the darker group. But then he was the one that organized a big camping trip each year and only invited blacks, people married to blacks, or white people with children from a black spouse.

I am trying to think of any Gentile members among the older men in Jerusalem or even traveling representatives. The Jewish Galatian Christians would not sit with or socialize with Gentile Christians.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Coming from a man of color, the treatment of women in general by this org is shameful. Especially if you are single, divorced, a widow, have an unbelieving mate, have an inactive mate, your mate isn't an elder, your mate isn't reaching out, your mate isn't a ministerial servant, blah blah bah blah.......

Shall I continue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit