A question

by JeffT 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Has anybody ever written Bethel and just flat out asked for an accounting report on the Society's finances? We all keep batting around speculation about the WTBS and money, and actual information seems non-existent. What would they do if somebody asked for a financial statement?
    I suspect they'd round file the letter if somebody liked one of us sent it, what about if it came from a body of elders?
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    I suspect they'd round file the letter if somebody liked one of us sent it, what about if it came from a body of elders?

They would get a stern talking to :)

But if you want to:

Mr. J. R. Brown

Office of Public Information

[email protected]

I've wanted to ask Mr. Brown about the $40 million transferred into and out of the Caymens.

Its a legitimate question I think.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    Since it is a corporation, is there not a way to find this information? Albeit super difficult I am sure. Hidden in footnotes , asset movement, etc.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Since it is a corporation, is there not a way to find this information?

Nope. Its an non-profit and a church. In the US those records are out of bounds.

Hidden in footnotes , asset movement, etc.

There are fragmentory bits and pieces... see citizenaudit.org

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

How about

"my elderly sick mother wants To leave half of her 18 million dollar estate to your society, myself and my siblings respect her wishes as we have seen that she has obtained a great deal of joy and support from this religion. However we have agreed that we cannot sign off on this with my power of attorney until we verify that all funds are used for charitable causes. The vast majority of charities publish full financial statements, please could you advise where we can obtain these for the WTBTS and its affiliates"

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes, in a way. You can find it in my old posts.

I asked for IRS filings.

https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations

https://www.startchurch.com/blog/view/name/young-church-forgets-to-file-tax-return-irs-penalties-pile-up

IRS said copies could be obtained either from the organization or IRS. I asked the borganization first and got no reply, so I asked the IRS and again got no reply. One would think I would have gotten a reply stating, "We didn't file anything."

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Rebel, not long after I left (I DA'd in 1989, this would have been 1990 or so) I called the IRS and was told that it was private information and they couldn't release anything.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

There are fragmentory bits and pieces... see citizenaudit.org

Interesting!

2009/08 T (Filed 2010/03) (Searchable PDF

This is a copy of the 990-T, which is what I requested. According to this document, Line C, "Book value of all assets at the end of year"= $399,300,000."

• Storm
    Storm
    Why do you need this information? Did you make some sort of investment?
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

In 3 words

"They wouldn't reply"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit