BORN AGAIN-What Exactly does it Mean?

by teenyuck 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Intro,

In the eastern traditions like zen they talk about things like a big death, which may seem to be the opposite but basically it means a death of self, ego or whatever you want to call it, and with that out of the way one can really live.

BINGO! I love that explanation - I can never say it quite right, but you've expressed my sentiments exactly!

This probably sounds kind of weird to most people, but what I've noticed is that people that don't have much of a sense of self are rather refreshing to be around. When you don't take yourself too seriously there's a natural sense of humor that shines through, and you're less likely to have conflicts with people - not even exchanges such as those where one says: "Well, everyone can believe whatever they want, you have the right to your opinion" in an effort to sound diplomatic or whatever, all the while harboring the feeling that I'm right, they're wrong, and they are not my kind of people because they think differently. Of course, what I'm talking about is not what you think but how you think and behave, it just so happens that when you're less self centered it's easier to take in a broader view. In other words, it's a matter of being free from your 'self.'

I don't think that sounds weird at all. I know what you mean! Funny thing is, my sense humor has been resurrected after leaving the WTS. Everything has a lighter note to it. I see the positive v. the negative...I SEE the humor! Being Born Again to me is taking on a new attitude of humility.

Just my thoughts,

Andi

• Introspection
    Introspection

I'm glad that clicked with you Andi. I heard one experience of a person who mainly teaches out of the eastern traditions where someone went up to him and said "I know exactly what you're talking about! The funny thing is, I'm a Born Again Christian!" A sort of side effect seems to be the momentum of conditioned behavior tends to run out of steam, so it isn't so much that new habits have replaced it, but you can tell the movments are spontaneous and free, so that it is alive and fresh in that respect. I think it helps to see the reality beyond the descriptions any given tradition may give it, along with the popular ideas associated with it - it's always easier to give unconscious lip service to 'your' tradition and then it loses meaning, or worse it becomes distorted. I bet if I had a penny for everytime that's ever happened I'd be a very rich man..

Mark

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am not a Baptist. Yet I am born again..I dont go to Church ( unless to warn them off cults >to speak)

The only way I can describe HOW I became born again. I was still in the mindset after being "kicked out" of the JWs_ -Some folk took me to Pa.."Witness Now For Jesus" convention. I heard C.Servants, M,servants, Elders< & R&F JW give their testimony----It was Wonderful... I thought I was the only bad JW in the whole world >not trusting Mother that Jesus came in 1914>I had thought all those "nuts" that said they were born again were religious freaks....Then Alton Pitts a long time JW ( now ex) Got up & gave his experience...He said there is someone in here> a JW that has been asking to understand God .( I had for over a year after being ousted) He said if your heart is beating very loudly> & you would like to Hear the Knock at YOUR door ( heart) Why not invite Jesus the WAY! Truth! life into your life.......I did !!!My life has not been in bondage since. It is not for all. I know that. But it was for Grace Gough. So in my later years(76) I can experience that Peace I heard so much about in the watchtower That I NEVER KNEW!!!!!!! NEVER! I have lost family .friends, material things because I left bondage,,, I couldnt give a darn. My family I believe I will see again _ Where-ever!!! I have enough for the day... I dont Kow Tow to ANYONE!!!!!!!! I am a FREE AGENT!!!!! My 2 cents >Teenyuk((((HUGS))no offense

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit