BORN AGAIN-What Exactly does it Mean?

by teenyuck 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

There *is* such a thing as being ob-nauseously Christian. Those people turn me off. I am born again, but don't think I'm obnoxious about it. If people ask, I tell them, but don't preach to people. I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be. I have just expressed my belief in Christ as my savior and accepted him, and that's the whole story on that.

I used to know a man in my office that was just the "goodest" person I ever met. You would never know he was a born again, because he didn't talk about it, but you would wonder if he was by his actions and words. He was a very good example of living the faith without being obnoxious.

Country Girl

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

What does it mean to be "born again"?

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless a man is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3). Our first birth gave us physical life; the new birth gives us spiritual life and membership in God's family (John 1:13). To be born again is to have the Holy Spirit transform our hearts from indifference and hostility toward God to a love of God and a desire for righteousness and holiness. The only way one can come to God and experience what it means to be "born again" is through repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ; read John 14:6. The Bible clearly teaches in Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5, and Romans 10:13 that salvation is a gift; it cannot be earned in any way.

To receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord means more than accepting Him as a fact of history, a teacher, or an example. It means more than giving mental assent to the fact that Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world. It means that one turns from sin and with his or her whole heart trusts in Christ as personal Savior and Lord. God makes that one a new person; see 2 Corinthians 5:17. The Bible says, "To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12).

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Teenyuk:

To try to answer your question: if you are born again, it's just about saying to God that you accept him as your savior by virtue of grace. As a former JW, this was hard for me to accept and/or understand. I keep feeling you have to *do* something like preach to people or something. But that's not what it is. You accept him as your savior and that's that. You can be a Catholic if you want, as long as you accept Christ as your savior. It's not a denomination, necessarily. As former JW's we were taught that you *have* to be a JW to get saved. That's not what I believe to be true. It's all about accepting Christ into your heart as your savior. You might want to live a lifestyle that would be a witness or testimony to others, but if you sin, you don't knock yourself down and fear death and shunning, you pick yourself up and start over. It's still hard to get over a gift of life that's given freely and all we have to do is accept it. It took me years to understand this concept, and maybe I don't fully understand it at all, but it's the way I understand it at this point. I hope this helps.. if not, maybe someone more articulate can clear it up further. Hugs

Country Girl

• neverthere
    neverthere

As far as I know (which when it comes to christianity is quite a mixture of things!!) Born again people are usually though not always Baptist, hope that helps

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    As far as I know (which when it comes to christianity is quite a mixture of things!!) Born again people are usually though not always Baptist, hope that helps

Being Born Again isn't regulated to a specific religion. There are Born Agains that attend almost every church out there. There was a BIG thread on this last month. I will try to find it.

• Billygoat
  • teenyuck
    teenyuck

Country Girl, Yizu, Billy Goat, Hamas and neverthere, thanks for the info.

Reading all of it, makes it more clear.

I appreciate the perspective you all gave me. That is very helpful.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Country Girl, Yizu, Billy Goat, Hamas and neverthere, thanks for the info.

Reading all of it, makes it more clear.

I appreciate the perspective you all gave me. That is very helpful.

Welcome

Yiz

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I don't know how I missed that thread! It is huge! (Oh, I remember, it was not about the war, America or GW-)

Thanks again!

• Introspection
    Introspection

I don't know, but I suspect that born again might have originally referred to something that isn't even limited to the Christian tradition. (I'm sure there will be those that disagree, perhaps vehemently - be that as it may I am just throwing the idea out there) In the eastern traditions like zen they talk about things like a big death, which may seem to be the opposite but basically it means a death of self, ego or whatever you want to call it, and with that out of the way one can really live. Now from this perspective, if someone is being pushy about their religion, being identified with an emotional experience (having one is not the problem, just if they're stuck on it) and so forth, it can hardly be said they lost the sense of self - it's just new content.

This probably sounds kind of weird to most people, but what I've noticed is that people that don't have much of a sense of self are rather refreshing to be around. When you don't take yourself too seriously there's a natural sense of humor that shines through, and you're less likely to have conflicts with people - not even exchanges such as those where one says: "Well, everyone can believe whatever they want, you have the right to your opinion" in an effort to sound diplomatic or whatever, all the while harboring the feeling that I'm right, they're wrong, and they are not my kind of people because they think differently. Of course, what I'm talking about is not what you think but how you think and behave, it just so happens that when you're less self centered it's easier to take in a broader view. In other words, it's a matter of being free from your 'self.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit