Is it possible to nullify a baptism?

by idk123 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

You are dealing with a highly legalistic organization. Don’t try to beat them at their own game. Just don’t even waste the effort.

It’s tempting to think about walking into an elders room and saying, “Well guys, according to section 3, subsection VI, of chapter 9, <insert legal loophole here>. So based on that, I’m just going to walk away and everyone will be accepting of that decision.” And all the elders turn to one another and go “Ohhh, subsection VI! I totally forgot about that. Yeah, yeah. We’re OK now.”

It was a mistake. You may have been a kid when you were baptized. But it doesn’t matter now. You are an adult, and can decide now to nullify your baptism - “Dear Elders, It has come to my attention that the WTB&TS is full of what some might call bovine excrement. I am no longer a JW. Thanks.”

Your family are also adults and can decide to cut ties with you. That’s a decision they make. Don’t push off their moral agency on something else. It is their, really, their decision. In my case, I confronted my family (kindly) and let them know that it is their decision, and I wouldn’t accept an explanation in which they attempted to shrug that agency off on an organization.

Some shun me, some don’t. Maybe they will come around, maybe they won’t. It is what it is...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I thought it was OK to associate with family members as long as the DF one doesn't make opposing comments about the organization, doctrines or elders ?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Out of respect for the organization

Your thinking is fucked up. They deserve no respect. They respect no one else.

Also, Finkelstein is correct. WT lawyers have made the sworn statement in court that ONLY spiritual relationship with family members is to cease. NORMAL FAMILY RELATIONS CONTINUE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiFM845NtE

This is a clip from the hearing. Show it to your parents. If they say that is not true, then ask them if they mean the WT Society representative (attorney) LIED UNDER OATH. If they say it is fake, ask them to contact the Branch and ask if this is their position or if they lied in Court.

Be really f&cking stumbled that WT is lying in Court. Paul said to "pray for the King" and respect the Superior Authorities. It would appear to me that something or someone way up in WTS has gone rogue (apostate)!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The newest scenario is not answer phone, keep track of thru relatives, go to hospital uf they are in, or as noted elsewhere return any mail. And absolutely no funeral That will bring them back to loving jehovah.

In practice most of us feel a responsibility and love our family, warts and all.

There are some who will have to walk away and make a life as an orphan.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The newest scenario is not answer phone, keep track of thru relatives, go to hospital uf they are in, or as noted elsewhere return any mail. And absolutely no funeral That will bring them back to loving jehovah.

The "alternative new thing" is that there are many JWs who just ignore that shit and carry on normally with their DF kids and grandkids but know NOT to talk about it to anyone, which is why they are covertly putting the hammer down on Elders/MS who ignore the (secret) rule to shun.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what about those who were baptized under duress? They think this will be a fix to whatever is wrong, only to realize they are actually helping joke-hova to evict the whole human race (the book of Joshua is actually a template on how this will be done) so the reptilian race can move in. Can they undo their baptism? Or, if they thought they were doing good only to realize they are contributing to the enslavement, not liberation, of the whole earth?

This applies equally to those baptized during the 1975 rush and the fad in the mid 1980s, before they had the Internet to cross-check. And also to those who abused drugs and got scammed into the religion--or those who didn't take school seriously and now cannot think logically. Are these legally bound to a contract they made under false pretexts?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had a lovely young lady, baptized at around 15 years old, later went to Uni, at around 19 she had a meeting with the Elders and proved to their satisfaction she was pressured in to Baptism,and that she was mentally unstable at the time. She was self harming then.

They accepted her Baptism as invalid, and announced so at the K.H.

She left with a smile on her face, never to be seen at the K.H again, and able to have a normal relationships with her J.W family, including her grand parents. Result !

This was over 20 years ago, I would research thoroughly and see if something along these lines is still possible, and have you anything to lose by trying ? You are simply questioning the validity of your Baptism, not the religion and its teaching, so, build a case, and go for it. Good luck.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

invalidating your baptism is a hard sell and difficult to prove. Even if you can prove that you were not technically valid for baptism at the time, I've seen the borg argue that your living as one baptised afterward proves that it was valid. I've also seen them pull out the "it was directed by Holy spirit so it must have been valid" card as well.They will talk from both sides of their... just to not let you off their clutches/power trip.

I have never heard of anyone credible successfully getting their baptism deemed invalid.

Sorry that you are in such a situation.

Zing

• hybridous
    hybridous

A minor cannot legally enter into a contract....so my personal opinion is that all baptisms prior to age of majority are all null and void.

This is also my opinion, also. I'm an enormous skeptic of government power, but we do currently entrust the state with upholding/nullifying contracts.

The act of baptism in the WT CULT religion carries with it extraordinary consequences, often accruing to minors.

Since there are already clear legal standards such that a minor may not enter into contract, my opinion is, if the state wants to TRULY protect minors and other individuals who can't protect themselves, I think that there ought to be legal prohibition on ANY minor entering membership to this (or perhaps ANY) religious organization, until such a person reaches the age of majority, and can bear the consequences for this, and other decisions.

Can you imagine what would happen to the WT cult once they couldn't baptize minors?

How many of us would've made VASTLY different decisions, if compelled to wait until 18?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

“A minor cannot legally enter into a contract....so my personal opinion is that all baptisms prior to age of majority are all null and void.”

That’s being logical and reasonable, but not the way this organisation works. All candidates for baptism answer 80 questions to show they understand what they are doing. The WT view ,in my experience, is to hold to the Bible principle “ what you vow you must pay” . No excuses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit