Is it possible to nullify a baptism?

by idk123 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• idk123
    idk123

Hope you are all well,

I was wondering within the organisation if there are any guidelines or grounds for nullifying a baptism. See I grew up a Jehovah's Witness and was baptised at age 13, I didn't get baptised for the right reasons, I felt pressured to because my friends were getting baptised at the same time. I quickly discovered my lack of faith and belief in JW practices so naturally I veered 'off the rails' and was disfellowshipped at age 15. Looking back I feel the elders made a mistake allowing me to be baptised as I was way too young to make such a serious decision and without actual faith. I have nothing against the organisation but its just not for me, I have never even truly believed in Jehovah and therefore my dedication was not legitimate in my eyes.

I am now 18yo and haven't spoken to my family since I was 16, I want to respect their choices but of course these are horrible circumstances to be in at such an important time of my life and if there is something that can be done I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time :)

If you would rather keep your response private please PM me.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi welcome to the forum.

When I was an elder 25 years ago there was no provision for annulment of baptism. I strongly doubt anything has changed since. Sadly the organisation pressure youths to get baptised specifically so that they can exert some control over them and make leaving a costly decision.

Are your parents taking a hard line? Sometimes parents are willing to maintain some contact with DFd children as long as they don't see you as a threat to their faith. Other's are unwilling to compromise. It's shameful cultish behaviour but at least you got out when you still have time to enjoy a good education and career.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why are you so worried about being baptized as a JWS, it wasn't a true legitimate baptism if you were pressured into by peers and family ?

If you wanted to really do it right join another Christian faith like the Baptists and get baptized there.

JWs shouldn't be baptizing young teenagers or kids but the pressure to do so if there for people who experienced it, like myself.

The top heads of this religious organization like so many others like this to happen because it invokes power toward them and the JWS elders all the way up to CO's, DO's etc.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I had a friend who was told he needed to be rebaptized as he didnt mean it the first time. I think he was DF, but this was 50 years ago. From comments made by tge GB about getting dunked at early years I think they just assume you are trapped. Hopefully you have friends, or more i.importantly parents of friends who will fill some of the void

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just a thought, maybe the JWS heads didn't want to have that available for people because some knowingly would do so just so that other JWS wouldn't have to go by the rules of disfellowship or shun them like their families.

The WTS GB heads wanted severe repercussions for anyone who left, DFing was designed to scare people into their control and submission.

• idk123
    idk123

Thanks for that info.

My mother mentioned it was a possibility, considering my father was an elder I thought maybe they knew something the general congregation wasn't made aware of for obvious reasons. Was hoping an elder/ex-elder could shed some light..

And yes my parents are taking a hard line, but I have tried to be respectful of that, never pushing them. Sadly I assume they are waiting for me to come back in, I don't want to live my entire life without any contact with my family..

• cofty
    cofty

Maybe if you talk to them and explain that you never believed a word of it, you were too young, you only got baptised to please them and there is zero chance of you ever coming back they might take a pragmatic approach.

Officially they would be breaking rules but it's not unknown.

Edited to add - Don't let the emotional blackmail influence you into going back to please them. That's only postponing the inevitable.

• idk123
    idk123

@Finkelstein

Being baptised is of little importance to me, I was disfellowshipped and was hoping there was a way to prove my baptism illegitimate therefore making my disfellowshipping disappear. All just so I see my family and kid brother without any guilt from either party.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Unfortunately the outward suggestion of " We will fuck you over if you leave " has been predominantly expressed within the organization for many years.

Another segment of the fear factor indoctrinated to JWS

Thats the way the WTS heads want their their subjective slaves (public sales representatives) , obedient , controlled, loyal and subservient.

Thats also why you have to make a vow to them when you are baptized as a JWS.

The dire consequences of young people getting baptized at too young of age is well documented.

Do the GB men care that their rules of conduct for their members causes families to break up ? not at all. they are in for the power , control and money.

• waton
    waton

declare your baptism as invalid, therefore not binding, because " wt did not follow the formula stipulated by "Jesus". and/or you were not dedicated, and/or you were not qualified, were unser age, were hiding sins. but

even unbaptized "publishers" can be un-published, publicly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit