The District Convention, AKA things the WTS could never get away with putti

by Winston Smith :>D 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Just got back from the three-day convention. Some have posted notes here already. This was my first convention as an “apostate” as I have just awoken to the WTS a couple of weeks ago. No one is aware of my awakening yet, so I was able to move about and talk freely to all of my friends, etc.

I will be posting notes here about my experience later this week after I compile my notes.

A few things of interest are:

1. I have never been more alert nor have I ever taken as many extensive notes in the past as I did over the past three days, and I was a pretty good JW if I can freely say so.
    2. The new book “for the children” has the most abominable picture in the back of the book depicting Armageddon. Someone has a topic running here already. Even a few JW’s were surprised to see it in a kid’s book.
    3. I have quite a few friends that are having all types of problems. Marriage problems being the foremost problem. Divorces, alcoholism, depression, etc. A lot of people are really beat up. It’s really sad.
    4. There are now definite rules of what constitutes being drunk in the eyes of the WTS. The talk strongly suggested abstinence if it meant that alcohol would hinder you from getting into new system. It was suggested to stop having “open bars” at weddings.
    5. Dresses with plunging neck lines [we new that I guess], “sun dresses”, and the “grunge look [didn’t that go out a while ago when Kurt Cobain blow his head off?] are bad. We went out to eat one night and there were a few sisters surprised to see a young sister wearing a modest button-up denim shirt during a demonstration because it was denim. I thought she looked very modest. She also had open-toed sandals on which was a no-no.
    One talk had a speaker ask three questions. He first asked the audience if we had faith in the prophecies regarding the end. Then the speaker paused waiting for the sheep to applaud in agreement. The speaker’s pause awaked many from their slumber and the audience immediately clapped as trained. Then he asked if we thought that the end was soon. There was an awkward pause of a couple of seconds before light clapping SLOWLY ensued. He then asked if we will stay faithful to the direction of Jah, Jesus, and the WTS right to the end. But he didn’t wait for the audience to clap this time. He rolled right into his concluding sentence for the talk. He was either out of time or he wasn’t too confident on the response he’d receive based on the response to the previous Q. I couldn’t help but laugh at that. Later at lunch I brought up this observation to some friends. The friends are Reg Pio’s and MS’s, and a couple of the wife Reg Pio’s started joking that the elderly seated on the floor level were thinking during these Q’s, “I thought the end is coming soon years ago.” Then one Reg Pio. sister said in an elderly-type voice while raising her first, “Yea, 1975!”. Oh, that made the MS husband a bit uneasy, and there was silence for a few awkward seconds over the group. The subject was quickly changed.
  • run dont walk
    run dont walk

it's amazing how we all listened better, once we became "apostate".

it's almost like the meetings/assemblies are just a little exciting now,

it will be interesting to see how long you can keep going .

Please keep posting, any announcements or special talks given.

• Swan
    Swan

This would make an exciting TV Show.

Winston Smith; Double Agent!

Good work. Thanks!

Tammy

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    The new book “for the children” has the most abominable picture in the back of the book depicting Armageddon. Someone has a topic running here already. Even a few JW’s were surprised to see it in a kid’s book.

I think I know the picture you're talking about.

After going to the Saturday Assembly with my wife, I just happened to pick up and leaf through the book casually at home and was appalled at the graphic nature of some of their armageddon pics (pages 243) in the book. I was also quite irritated about the "leading" nature of the questions asked in the book but chalked that up to the usual WT trademark.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Winston,

I was at the international convention in michigan. This was also the first big assembly where I truly analized every talk.

On this board I have often heard how wt puts Christ aside. This fact hit me like a ton of bricks at this assembly. In 4 days there was little mention of him. One talk on Sat. was intitled "Cultivating a christlike view of greatness". This talk mainly talked of positions in the congregation, nothing of substance.

There were 3 governing body members: Barr, Larson, and Sidlyk. These were the real celebrities and honoured ones. The flashes from cameras were blinding.

I thought an expression in the very first talk sums it all up for Jw. The speaker said:

"It's not about remembering, its about following direction".

My hubby (apocalypse) is compiling a few precious tidbits from this assembly to share with all.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

LOL at Winston. Yes. It is amazing what you hear, and what you actually read once the WTBTS hallucinogens have been flushed from your system.

it will be interesting to see how long you can keep going .

Good point. It will eventually become painful, but keep at it, as long as you can manage. You may want to get a prescription for some form of mind numbing drug, to help you make it through it all. Just stay away from the marijuana though, because it makes the meeetings and publications seem so incredibly ridiculous, you'll be prone to uncontollable fits of laughter. (according to another poster)

Maybe you can start up a weekly thread like Blondie does with her "Comments you won't hear at the Watchtower Study"

Winston Smith..........Undercover Agent !

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    You may want to get a prescription for some form of mind numbing drug, to help you make it through it all. Just stay away from the marijuana though, because it makes the meeetings and publications seem so incredibly ridiculous, you'll be prone to uncontollable fits of laughter. (according to another poster)

LOLOL! Do you have to smoke to have the uncontrollable fits of laughter?

• Hamas
    Hamas

didn’t that go out a while ago when Kurt Cobain blow his head off?]

I'm afriad not, amigo.

The loser white kids wear all that kind of crap in the UK. You know the type; the teenage angst kids that want to be so so different ? Well, so different they are all the same !

Only a select band of these losers walk the streets, thank god, but i'm afraid that particular fashion hasn't been fully diminished as yet.

On the subject of your notes, thank you, they were very good and helpful. I was surprised to see that picture also in the thread dmouse started. More mind control.

La via esta duro amigo

http://www.escapethewatchtower.com/Apocalypse%20Now.htm

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

hi all,

thx for the interest. I'll go over some of my notes tonight and post a summary of some of the first day's talks to post tomorrow. i remember the first day had some whoppers.

the 2nd & 3rd days were just as spectacular, with the baptism talk [loyalty to the WTS wasn't brought up until the 2nd Q to the candidates, and then the speaker mentioned specfically the loyalty to the "overseers" in the prayer, real nice.] The was of course a part on honoring jehovah with your valuable things on the 2nd or 3rd day also.

i remember a part before that "money talk" which gave an experience of a CO only being able to visit an island once instead of twice a year because the WTS couldn't "afford" the plane ticket. but all 5 publishers on that island appreciated the co so much that these 5 pubs on the island picked up the $1000+ plane ticket for a 2nd visit each year, the same number of visits that all of the remaining cong. get. from a CO

the following part which was the "give us money part" talk an experience of a cong. that had a $900 mortgage payment. the lovingly kept paying the $900 to the WTS even after the mortgage was paid off to further the WTS WWwork. then the speaker said, "isn't it nice to know that the WTS uses the money to expressly further the WWwork?" I couldn't resist leaning in to my wife and saying, "yes, except for poor people on islands who need their 2nd visit from the CO."

I got a look for that.

• Swan
    Swan
    I couldn't resist leaning in to my wife and saying, "yes, except for poor people on islands who need their 2nd visit from the CO."

I got a look for that.

Be careful that you don't blow your cover, Special Agent Smith.

The Chief

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit