I want to be all my dog believes me to be ...

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Pet Owners and Lovers:

While I have no pets of my own, I do care for dogs and cats and have cared for bunnies and guinea pigs in the past. I'm working on an essay with an 11-year-old student, and the subject is symbiotic relationships and how humans learn from their close interaction with animals.

Here is a portion of the reference material under study:

"Pets teach us more about love than any person or thing. We understand
    the true nature of unconditional love without expectations. The true
    nature of forgiveness is forgetting and letting go of grudges. We
    learn uninhibited, unreserved affection by giving our full attention.
    Understanding love is a feeling and doesn’t require words. Love is
    felt in the heart by making eye connection, being in someone’s
    presence and through physical touch."

Your thoughts and personal experiences are welcome.

Thanks!

• zeb
    zeb

We had a cat. He was with us and filled our lives for 20 years which is apx 140 human years. If I were ill he would hop onto he bed and lie against me.

After work he would greet me with a rub and would jump onto my desk and give me a head butt.

I wept when he was put down due to kidney failure and I wept when I put him into the ground.

• compound complex
    compound complex

(((((zeb and Kitty)))))

Thanks for sharing that touching story, zeb.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My Son's faithful little dog is living out his last days due to old age and illness. I went to visit them the other day and the poor old fellow was lying in his favorite spot in the kitchen. Although he can barely walk, when he heard the sound of my voice, his tail thump-thump-thumped on the floor and he tried to raise himself up to greet me.

I rushed over and knelt down next to him so that he wouldn't attempt to give me his usual ticker tape parade of a welcome. I rested my hand softly on his side, put my face against his face and murmured comforting words in his ear. He licked my cheek and nuzzled my face with his and sighed as if he was saying "I'm sorry, this is all I can do today".

Despite his own discomfort, his main focus was on greeting me and letting me know he loves me. I knew that in his heart he was on his hind legs leaping and spinning with excitement like the puppy he once was. If that's not loyalty and unconditional love, I don't know what is.
  • humbled
    humbled

Little feral cat “Seely” (trans. ‘silly’) adopted me this spring. She slowly tamed me over the course of last summer and fall. She maintained her distance until recently. She called outside my door and was clearly very sick. Then she walked into the house. My sister paid the vet to save her. Now Seely reports in daily for a teaspoon of cream and a ration of chow. She sits on my lap and nips my thumb no matter what l am doing until l vigorously stroke her. I cup my hand round her tiny calico face and compress her from ears to end down the length of her slender body. Repeat. And repeat. If l stop she will nip my thumb again. A sweet little tyrant. But l am hers now.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

We had a toy poodle the runt of its litter for 16.5 years from a couple of months old.It broke my heart when I had to put her down ,as I say nobody loves you or is more loyal to you than a dog is.

We also had a young cat daisy that adopted us a couple of years after our getting our poodle and she lived a little longer than lilly did and I was devastated again with her passing.

I vowed I would never put myself through this emotional trauma ever again my body wouldnt be able to take it.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

A few years ago we had 4 cats. We got each one of them when they were 6 months of age. All lived almost 25 to 20 years. They were fun to have. Now we have two dogs. One is a black lab mix and the other a small poodle. Both are rescue dogs and both are now 13 years old. We have had them since they were 6 months old. I contribute my lab in helping me with my PTSD through the years. The old grils are getting old but are still active. After the are gone my wife would like to get a couple cats. Rescue of course. Yes it sad when they die but we look at the life they would not have had and the joy they have given us. Still Totally ADD

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I want to be everything my cat believes himself to be

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I still prefer the human experience. I take being human as it is, with its good traits and bad traits.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

A thread calling out for a cute hedgehog picture. I took it just this afternoon. This is Willow and he is 4 weeks old. <3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit