I want to be all my dog believes me to be ...

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jp1692
    jp1692

Beautiful!

Before I even read the excerpt I was thinking: unconditional love!

Dogs and other pets give it so freely. So many humans have lost this seemingly natural trait. Cults sure know how to indoctrinate it out many.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Let’s not entirely disparage human discernment. After all a dog will greet someone the same, whether they’ve been out helping people all day, or murdering.

JWs have a problem because the affection they show is highly conditional on believing the same things and accepting JW authority structure. But no healthy affection is really completely unconditional, because there are things even those we care about the most could say and do that would weaken or break our affection. It’s just that the kinds of things it would take are very different from the superficial reasons that JWs cast people aside.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi CoCo, nice OP.

I don't have a dog at the moment (landlady doesn't allow pets) but I would like one or maybe two in the future.

I think I've said on another post that my dad has a sled dog. I don't see him anymore because I don't see my dad anymore but Sky is a really nice dog.

One of my in-laws (actually my cousin's fiancé's sister) has a nice dog, too. He's a border collie and he's very good-natured.

I met him over New Year's up in Scotland and within an hour or two I was a warm friend.

I think me giving him some turkey left-overs definitely helped.

When the situation's right I'd like to get a Czech wolf dog. In the 50s, the Czech army crossbred a male German Shepherd with a female Carpathian wolf. They wanted a superior all-purpose dog with emphasis on border patrols and tracking. The first generation of puppies proved to be too wild and wolf-like, so they bred back to GSDs. The Czech wolf dog is the result. It's many generations away from wild wolves but genetically it's 25% wolf and 75% German Shepherd Dog.

When/if I do, I'll feed it a raw natural diet that replicates a wild diet. This is sometimes known as the BARF diet (biologically approved raw food). I'll have to do my research but it'll be worth it.

I feel lucky that I know or have known two dogs with wonderfully warm personalities.

Traditionally, scientists have often dismissed the idea that animals can have personalities, calling it 'statistical noise' but the concept is becoming more accepted, I think.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Cults sure know how to indoctrinate it out many. -- jp1692

But no healthy affection is really completely unconditional, because there are things even those we care about the most could say and do that would weaken or break our affection. -- slimboyfat

I feel lucky that I know or have known two dogs with wonderfully warm personalities. -- LoveUniHateExams

Thanks for your observations and experiences. I tried to reply yesterday but my post got hung up and I quit.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Despite his own discomfort, his main focus was on greeting me and letting me know he loves me. I knew that in his heart he was on his hind legs leaping and spinning with excitement like the puppy he once was. If that's not loyalty and unconditional love, I don't know what is. -- Pete Zahut

I cup my hand round her tiny calico face and compress her from ears to end down the length of her slender body. Repeat. And repeat. If l stop she will nip my thumb again. A sweet little tyrant. But l am hers now. -- humbled

I vowed I would never put myself through this emotional trauma ever again my body wouldnt be able to take it. -- smiddy

Yes it sad when they die but we look at the life they would not have had and the joy they have given us. -- Still Totally ADD

I want to be everything my cat believes himself to be. -- slimboyfat

I take being human as it is, with its good traits and bad traits. -- scratchme1010

A thread calling out for a cute hedgehog picture. -- Amelia Ashton

Thanks for your fine comments. Words to remember.

I'll be caring for a "comfort" dog for an entire week, and, true to the name, he does provide comfort. He helps to destress me because I allow him to by concentrating on him and his needs.

• flipper
    flipper

CoCo- Great thread. My wife and I have a 19 year old cat who is just a doll. We have to give her a special food for her kidney condition , but she's still hanging in there. We have a 10 year old black lab dog who thinks I was put on this planet to throw her red rubber Kong ball ! LOL. She is so faithful, goes on hikes with me all the time. And our youngest is a 4 year old half Main coon half Siamese fluffy cat who is just beautiful . All 3 of our animals have great dispositions and personalities. They hang out on the deck outside with us overlooking the canyon and property below. They are our family and everybody here is correct, in many ways they make BETTER companions than humans. Very kind and loving.

I'm glad that you're able to help care for others pets, it's a beautiful experience. Keep experiencing the love ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• compound complex
    compound complex

They are our family and everybody here is correct, in many ways they make BETTER companions than humans. Very kind and loving. -- Mr. Flipper

I appreciate what you've shared, Mr. Flipper. What I'm still trying to figure out, however, is some rescue dogs I care for. After three years of care, I still cannot touch "Lady." But she's that way with almost everyone except her owners.

• LoveUniHateExams
  • JRK
    JRK

Rusty is my faithful companion. I really don't deserve him. He is still full of life, I couldn't have gotten through the last months without him. He is starting to get a stately amount of grey on his muzzle, so his age is but a guess since he was a rescue dog, and rescue me he did. I would guess around 11 years old now.

I will miss him when he is gone. He is the reason I continue to stay alive at times. His loyalty deserves mine. He is family!

JK

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Before we go deciding on our own how we feel about our pets , I want to remind everyone to refer to the online Watchtower library to see what the "current thinking" is, on the matter of pets (remember that JW expression "current thinking")

Remember how handy it was to have the bound volumes of the watchtower and awake magazines at our disposal so that we could look back over the years and see how we were supposed to feel and what we were supposed to be thinking about?

Keeping a Balanced View of Pets.

Here is someones rebuttal on the Watchtower's take on animals not living forever in the "New System".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit