Home Schooling

by yxl1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    In my experience Jehovah's Witness home schooled children are often severely socially retarded

You got that right. I know one JW family that home schools their kids and those kids are social morons. They remind me of Ned Flanders kids; Rod and Todd: afraid of EVERYTHING outside their home or the Kingdom Hall. They live out in the country, so these boys have no one else to play with or interact with the whole day, except their mother. Their only other contact with the outside world is when they go to the Hall, or (gasp!) maybe when they actually go to the Mall to buy new clothes for the meetings, assemblies and field service. Other than that, they have not a clue as to what's going on in the world.

Gee I wonder what will happen once the "graduate" from High-Home-School..........I'm sure if they pray about it, they'll be able to land a job pushing a broom...............

• Francois
    Francois

TRUMAN - Point and click at the thread title on your post.

Next point and click "Edit Post" in the left hand column.

When you are finished, scroll down and click the submit bar.

All done.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I think all home schoolers should be required to pass some type of basic tests that show's they're smart enough to teach the basics of school. Homeschooling in general I have no problem with. The folks I've seen do it have done it right. It's the PUBLIC SCHOOLS that are the problem. The Catholic School here in SC spends about 5500 per student, the public school more than double that, yet the Catholic School education is better. Somebody should look at what PRIVATE schools do and copy it in the public sector...then again, parents would have to become responsible for their kids again...never mind.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Yeru, Education is probably easier when everyone is from a similar background and mindset as in a Catholic school. Public education by it's very nature is going to be trickier.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Iron,

That's a load of horse semen (sorry, just read the Eddie Keen post...GROSS). I'm not buying that excuse though. Why would a more diverse background INCREASE the COST and DECREASE the efficiency of education? Second point...Private Schools as a rule do better than public in scores and in dollars. Many of these schools are diverse, including the Catholic ones. I've seen Jewish kids, blacks, whites, hispanics, and asians, etc in one school, all learning...Parental involvement and stream lined and accountable administration I think are part of the answer. VOUCHERS NOW!

• IronGland
    IronGland

Yeru, Everyone is required to attend school until age 16 or so. In public schools you have motivated kids with parents who care as well as kids who are there because they have to be and everything in between. I believe one of the most important factors in how well a child does in school is how much support/encouragemnt/kicks in the ass he gets from home. Private schools will tend to be composed of kids whose parents care or else they would not be paying to send their child there.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Iron,

Now THAT I agree with, thus the point, it's not the amount of money you throw at the situation, it's the amount of parental involvement and the common sense of the administrators. VOUCHERS NOW!

• obiwan
    obiwan

I was home schooled through High school, and I paid dearly for it. I eventually had to get my GED so I could get a student loan or go into some trade as an apprentice. You need to show your high school transcrips to get in. When a parent is home schooled they are generally not accredited with the state, so the state has no records to send showing your gpa...boy was pissed off about that!

• yxl1
    yxl1

we all know that Krusty can't read....

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I was home-schooled from jr high on. It was mainly due to health reasons, however.

When I was in school, I had always gone ahead of the class on my own, so I had no problem with home-schooling academically. If anything, I learned a lot more than I would have at public school, in a lot less time.

The problem I had was that since I was studying on my own, I basically set my own standards, and I set them waaaay too high, leading to frustration and low self-esteem. My parents tried to tell me that my standards were too high, but I didn't believe them. When I went to college, I realized how dumb I had been.

Another problem was that I was isolated from the whole college application process; also, as someone else mentioned on this thread, I didn't have a formal transcript. I still got close to half my tuition covered by a scholarship; but if I'd had help from a professional guidance counselor, and had a formal transcript, I'm certain that I could have gotten a full scholarship.

Socially, I had always been a nerd; my health problems also contributed to my social isolation. Home-school just completed the isolation. When I started college, I was completely a fish out of water.

So for me, homeschooling was more of a necessity, rather than an option. But looking back, it was just one more way that my family isolated itself--not just from the 'world', but even from the jw community.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit