Home Schooling

by yxl1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

My kids went to public schools.....and not even the Good One in The Right Neighborhood Where the Money Is.

They did great in all areas.....but we weren't strong jw parents.

My sil's daughters went to private schools. They could be just smarter than all my kids - or they could have gone to better schools (or both) - but ALL 3 of those kids got FULL COLLEGE Scholarships. My daughter was so impressed with the girls as she got to know them. All snots btw., but their grammer, their math skills, comprehension, etc., was waaaay out of the norm she was used to. Btw, the girls were not jw's .....Methodists.

I know some jw home schooled kids. One mother was fanatical about her boys NEVER having any contact with worldly kids - even neighbors. They played with their own fenced yard...period. She planned for them to enter Bethel upon completion....and I suspect all followed Mother's Plan. The father wasn't a jw......but I also suspect he followed Mother's Plan too.

Another mother schooled her 2 girls while all pioneering - neither could get a GED at the time because mom didn't get in all the required courses. Both around 30 and weirdly lacking in some ways.

Another dad took his rebellious teen out at age 12 for homeschooling. Of course, he was an elder/widower & gone all the time. The boy raised & schooled himself intermitently. 22 & very intelligent, little common sense, good abilities and no GED.

More people, jw's and non, in our state are home schooling their children. Great responsibility for the parents.

waiting

• MindCandy
    MindCandy

I was not raised as a JW, and my husband was. We were both taught at home and went on to college without a problem. We do intend to do the same for our children, who are approaching school age.

I think a big factor for us is the quality of education and lack of personality specific teaching in public schools. I do think if your main goal is to hide your children from others, and shelter them you may be setting them up for failure.

Spiritual food and secular education do not mix any better than spiritual food and secular employment. Secular education can make children more confident, more informed, and empowered. All can improve their ministry and their outlook on life.

While I agree secular education can not be our main focus, I do not believe it irrelevant either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit