Demonizing the Watchtower

by IslandWoman 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

IW: What you say is true. I sometimes wonder if I will ever be anything but an ex-JW. I hate it! I want to move on but it's like you say that only an ex-JW can understand an ex-JW. Maybe we all need to get past the "no one else can relate to what we went through and why we trust no religion and we don't want it to happen to anyone else". You can only do so much to protect others. At some point, we all need to let it go and, if possible, put it in the past. Chock it up to experience I guess. We are the wiser for it.

BTW, IW and Gizmo...."Somewhere in Time" is my favorite movie and soundtrack music. Has been ever since the movie came out years ago. Great minds think alike.

Trot

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

DannyBear,

That is why I cannot agree with IW that the watchtower is not EVIL,

I said nothing about the Watchtower being evil or not evil. I just expressed my opinion that to labor at 'religious' fighting just as we labored in the Watchtower may, for some, not be the healthiest of things. That is all. Demonization of anything becomes mind control, the thing abhorred becomes the thing which controls the actions and thoughts of the victim. As long as that is the case the victim is not free.

'Moving on' is just, moving on with life. It means living for our families, our friends, and for ourselves. After spending years in the Watchtower, should we after leaving still agonize over missed years and opportunities even for years afterward? Some have spent decades angry and emotionally crippled because of hating the Watchtower.

This is a waste of life. Truly a waste of life, but this time of our own making.

IW

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman
    BTW, IW and Gizmo...."Somewhere in Time" is my favorite movie and soundtrack music. Has been ever since the movie came out years ago. Great minds think alike.

Trot

Yes, great minds do think alike.

IW

• DJ
    DJ

IW,

I've seen the movie but don't recall the song. Maybe sometime I will run across it and I will think of you, my Long Island comrad. I grew up there.

Danny,

I have my dying father and my mom and siblings all in the borg. I have been thru hell and back with those teachings all of my life. I am 42 now and have been free from their bondage for about 7 years. I nearly lost my husband due to wt rules with the blood policy shortly after I left. I stood strong although I was still so indoctrinated but I kept remembering what Jesus taught in Matthew 12 and I had the faith enough at that time to accept the fact that the doctors gave my husband those 23 red cell transfusions to save him. I had to withstand shunning for several years following, by my entire family and I was pregnant and we were moving to a new house all at the same time. My husband healed in time and has come to know Jesus and we have never experienced such freedom. I have to tend to my children now who have been so neglected by me in all the years that it took to heal. If I thought that I could balance my posting here with caring for my family then I would stay..but I get so engrossed that I lose track of time and my chores and the people that I love the most are neglected. I want to be there for my kids from now on. The watchtower had stolen my mind away enough. I am in pain due to my father's condition and I wish that I could help my family to be free but only time will tell. I do believe that all things are possible with God. I also believe that He, in His infinite wisdom knows what they have been through and hopefully has compassion on them. I have done all that I feel that I can to help them, for now. So, I just pray for them and hope. I have always given them love and always will. This board has done me a great service but for my own reasons I do also feel that it holds me back from living the life God has planned for me. I desire for my children to grow healthy in body mind and spirit and that is my job. I have taken advantage of my husband's gentle and loving nature too much. He needs me too now. I have had enough time to heal and grow and learn and I have been given my wings to fly. I will take my wt days and turn them into a valuable lesson. I don't want to stay chained to my memories of them anymore because for me, it is robbing my present and future life. I have stayed here mainly in the last few months to help those frightened, vulnerable newbies to adjust and help them to divorce God from the GB. I have been blessed to help a few and for that I am so grateful. I do not hold the belief that all posters here are desirious of demonizing the watchtower. My personal opinion is that they are cult and have hurt many and teach a false gospel. That is why I will not give them anymore of my life. I may check back here on occasion to see if I may be of some sort of help to someone in pain but I will have to learn to stear clear of the posts that feed hate. I hate the wt teachings but I love the people because I sympathize with them and want them to experience freedom as well. I think that the rank and file are dangerously misled and I find it very sad. Love is key to helping them but invaluable in my opinion is replacing biblical truths where they have been taught error. I do feel a call to leave here and I hope to be a help to someone someday out in the world. I would be honored. I am rambling and I do apologize.

I am sorry about your daughter and I feel your pain ((((danny)))) Never give up hope and just give her love even if she doesn't receive it well. Don't expect her to and you won't be hurt. You will never go wrong with love, my friend. I have a unique connection with my dad. I love him dearly and I soon will have to face losing him. I have been allowed to see him because of the "family business" jw teaching. He needs a lot of care now. I pray that your little girl will have her eyes and heart open one day to return your love. Take care of yourself and please don't think that I don't think that people should post here...I do!! It is just time for me to take the benefits that I have received here and move ahead. I am a new creature and I desire to put my old self away for good. I don't know if I would have been able to do this, if it hadn't been for this board. I am grateful for it. I cannot spend any more of my days remembering or dwelling on my past. I am healed from my pain in full now, atlast. I hope that you wish me well. love, dj

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Is it right to demonize evil things?

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

DJ,

I appreciated your heartfelt response.

**** I have to tend to my children now who have been so neglected by me in all the years that it took to heal. If I thought that I could balance my posting here with caring for my family then I would stay..but I get so engrossed that I lose track of time and my chores and the people that I love the most are neglected. ****

I certainly can relate to the above, and Iam quite sure other posters here as well. It is addicting sometimes isn't it.

Thanks for your kind words regarding my daughter's. Iam happy to say that my oldest has now been communicating with me for about a year now.......she obviously has a mind of her own. Of this Iam very proud.

I wish you the best in your journies. No matter our current beliefs, we all share a very common bond. This is what attracts us here and what motivates jw lurker's to read what is said here on jwd.

Your parting comments directed to me, may in fact be just the words some jw needed to make a decision to leave the cult, and experience a little of the freedom you describe. Its grand to think so anyway, eh?

Also I would like to add this thought DJ. Do not assume that individuals like myself who confronted your opinions on the authenticty of the bible as being god's word, automaticaly means that I do not believe in God. I do believe in a creator.

Danny

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

RandomTask,

Define evil and I will answer your question as best as I can.

Edited to add: If your question was rhetorical then please ignore the above statement.

IW

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Well, my personal reasons for being here are as follows:

1) My mother is still a JW, and I would love to see her live a fun and free life as she is getting on in years. I'm working on her little by little.

2) I think the WT Society is funny. If I made jokes about them when I was younger, I would have been slapped across my face. Now I can make all the jokes I want about them!

3) The "Truth" may not be a "Pure" language, but it's a language that all of us here can speak and understand. People who have never been associated with the JWs wouldn't be able to make sense of this message board, however, JWs and ex-JWs can understand it perfectly. It's fun speaking this language, and coming up with slang for it such as "Troof", "Paradise Erf", and "Jehober".

• Hamas
    Hamas

No, as I have said before I shall say again :

Do not destroy or downgrade something if it is for the good of the people. If it isn't for the good of the people, destroy it.

The Watchtower is not for the good of the people. I shall not rest until it has been destroyed.

• Francois
    Francois

We don't have to demonize the Watchtower. It came to us fully demonized.

And frankly, I'm not interested in any one, any where suggesting what does and does not constitute "balanced" thinking. We don't need no stinking balanced thinking, nor any ex-Dub playing at being a freelance elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit