Demonizing the Watchtower

by IslandWoman 27 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Our 'beloved' old faith tried to teach us to hate other religions and all things that smacked of anything that was worldly. They demonized all things outside of their religion.

Are some of us in danger of carrying that same thinking over to our new lives as former JWs? Are we now 'demonizing' the Watchtower? Could some here at first start out as an anti-cultist but in time allow this to become a 'religion' in itself?

I think we can. I think we can demonize the Watchtower beyond what is reality or healthy.

I say this not in defense of the Watchtower but really in defense of our own mental well being and balanced thinking. There are many xJWs who have left and not only do not post here but have made a new life for themselves on their own. Yes, some were DF, some have lost children to the blood issue, some are shunned by family and friends and they are also unable to see their grandchildren and have been prevented from attending the wedding of their own son or daughter. Yet, they move on. The Watchtower is no longer a god but neither is it a satan. For them, it is simply nothing.

I believe that when we're ready, imitating their example of moving on is something to be seriously considered if we haven't already done so.

IW

• DJ
    DJ

IW,
    I appreciate your post and have considered this myself many times. It would be beneficial for me, imo to put this past behind me now. I have gotten much info here which did help with the healing process and without it, I don't know if I would ever known any other xjw's. Only an xjw can relate to another xjw. I want to begin to live my new life now and I do feel that by me coming here, I may be hindering that process. I have given the watchtower so many years of my life and now it is my turn to say goodbye to all here and thankyou. God be with you all. Love, dj

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi DJ,

It just so happened that I was playing the soundtrack to the movie "Somewhere In Time" when you posted.

If you have not heard that soundtrack yet, try to find it. It is some of the most soul soothing and heart calming music I have ever heard.

May God be with you,

IW

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Island Woman

One of my very favorite Movies, Somewhere in Time with Chris Reeves and Jane Symour.

Incidentally, I agree with your post.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Gizmo,

Yes, that movie is one of my all time favorites also. Keep trying to make it happen in my own life, who knows maybe it will.

With love,

IW

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    some have lost children to the blood issue, some are shunned by family and friends and they are also unable to see their grandchildren and have been prevented from attending the wedding of their own son or daughter. Yet, they move on.

I'm not sure I see the point. Of course everyone moves on. Time makes that non-optional. The question is how one moves on. If indeed your negative thoughts about the WT are torturing you, then sure, find a way not to be in torture. OTH, if your child died because of the blood issue, and you "move on" by spending the rest of your life innoculating other people and their children from the disease that is JW doctrine, then your life certainly has been spent well, imo, and I would applaud you for your heroic response to a bad situation.

I know a woman who left and never looked back, not even in the slightest. But, she had only spent about 7 years as a serious witness (from 19-26) and another 5 years as a slacker, for lack of a better term. I don't know exactly when she left mentally. She had no family other than her husbands, whom she divorced, in the org. I neither admire her nor look down on her for her ability to leave so unfettered; I simply am aware how very unusual her level of witness indoctrination was.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

DJ,

I have been out for almost 25yrs. If it were not for my daughter's and immediate family, I would fully agree with your sentiments. With this addendum;

Because of the incidious nature of this cult, the afteraffects continue to plauge you like some sort of chemicaly induced 'flashbacks' often suffered by drug abusers.

That is why I cannot agree with IW that the watchtower is not EVIL, in every sense of the word. It matters little their intent or pureness of heart. The tenants of the cult are responsible for member deaths, family breakups, insecurity, strife of every sort.

The mafia like way of holding members life long prisoners is despicable. The tears and anxiety generated by their draconian shunning policy is in fact vile.

So you may in fact find the need to revisit this site or others like it, just to stabilize any 'flashbacks' that are inevitable.

The best to you.

Danny

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

SixofNine,

You too have valid points.

IslandWoman,

Just make sure you empty your pockets COMPLETELY before ok?

Maybe I'll see you there

• minimus
    minimus

The WT. will always be something to those that have had their lives adversely affected by it. It's like saying,"My first marriage has meant nothing to me even though I've put x amount of years into it"....... No reasonable person can make that claim.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Those victims who survived the Holocaust in central Europe during WW2 certainly had a major adjustment to make. The way their lives were dominated by an evil regime has some parallels with the way the Watchtower domination affects some people. It is insidious in nature.

People respond in different ways. If some make it their life's work to fight against bigotry and to continually make information available so that the Holocaust never happens again, then they are doing what they think is right to cope with it. For some it may appear to be "too zealous", but in reality that is not so.

We've been informed by various posters at various times that we should "move on". This is an individual choice. If one chooses to continue to help the ex-JW cause that doesn't mean they're necessary wallowing in the past. Indeed, this may be the best way for some to create a healthy future for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit