Stood in line for an hour and a half Friday night/saturday morning...

by Eyebrow2 18 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Harry Potter frenzy...I just don't get it..

I did stand in line one time 4 hours to meet Shirley Temple and get her autobiography. Perhaps some people think that's crazy...

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I have been reading these books to my children since they first came out. And giving myself accents and different voices for all the characters...its GREAT fun! I love the books. I am an armchair writer and while I wouldnt compare her writing to Tolstoy or their ilk....she is wonderful to read and can "cast a spell" on readers of ALL ages.....truly a gift! Im excited that my KIDS are excited about reading books! I got mine at Sams Club today for $13...no waiting :) I know the JWs have hissy fits about it all being DEMONIC and crap..oh come ON...and you clowns believe that garage sale items can bring DEMONS into your home? And smurf dolls can come to life?? Who do you think you are kidding with all this false righteous indignation over a fairy tale??

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thunder and I had our book group on Friday night (once a months we meet and discuss a novel we've read that month) then we went straight to Barnes and Noble at 8:00PM they had started the Harry Potter book party. They had trivia and people dressed up it was great. We had our book in hand by 12:30. they had it very well organized.

Now we know what to excpect for the Thunder Rider's Burden release at Barnes and Noble

• Shakita
    Shakita
    I did stand in line one time 4 hours to meet Shirley Temple and get her autobiography. Perhaps some people think that's crazy...

Treshappy....your kidding, right!?! What I wouldn't give to have a personalized copy of her autobiography! I spent many lazy weekends watching her movies over and over again when I was a child. I idolized her! You should hang on to that copy, might be worth a lot of money one day!

Mrs. Shakita

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

I didnt stand in line long at all to get mine today !! I waited for a whole 2 minutes

And it only cost me $30 YAY!

monk3y

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Mrs. Shakita,

Yes, it was in 1988 when she released "Child Star." What a great book, 500 plus pages of her journey in Hollywood, politics, motherhood, etc. I ditched work and went to Dallas to meet her. It was so much fun. I rehearsed what I wanted to say to her the night before so I wouldn't say anything silly. She was gracious and it was such a treat.

I hear she doesn't give out autographs anymore because of autograph retailers.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

My fourteen year old loves the Harry Potter books. He got his in the mail on Saturday. Funny thing is though, at the grocery store where I work, they put the book out at around 10 PM, so I could have just gotten it then.

My son keeps trying to get me to read the books, but I'd just as soon watch the movies as they come out. I prefer a little more grown-up read myself.

Btw, he finished the book the next day!

• somebody
    somebody

My daughter ( she not a kid, she's in college {damn I'm getting old} )also started reading the book Saturday morning. She read and read until she finished the book after sunrise Sunday morning. I've never read any Harry Potter books nor watched any of the movies. I actually thought they were for kids, but I've recently learned that both enjoy them. With all the hype going on and since my daughter couldn't put the book down till she finished it, I'm now thinking that I'm probably missing out on some great reading. So I might just start reading them. I'm one prefer reading, to watching movies.

peace,

somebody

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

petespal2002, I am 59 and love to read Harry Potter and lots of others.
    Tolkien may have written an amazing story (and I enjoyed the films) but I am not able to read the book. He's not an easy storyteller. (my opinion ofcourse).
    We did enjoyed the movies too - even my then 87 old mother and my daughter (25).
    I think Harry Potter is for everyone who can read.

I don't buy the book right now - or get it in the library - this time I will waite for the translation this winter.

For the last one: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -in Dutch translation) we had to waite a pretty long time and I was'nt patient enough, so I got the book (in English) from the library.
    When I finally was able to buy it in Dutch, I already knew what was in - no fun to read it then.

And since I have all the books in Dutch , I want this new one too in Dutch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit