No 'Tight Pants' policy is now official - classed as 'disturbing'

by wizzstick 362 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS could have individual jws not being able to comment at meetings or be in the school...People who had been privately or publicly reproved for one

BUT they could still go in the ministry, representing themselves to non-jws as a member without any restrictions (e.g. pedophiles).

I was a teenager during the hippie 60's and early 70's.

Sisters: No miniskirts...skirts had to be 1 inch below the knee; I saw sisters who had to go home and change for field service, even for a talk. I saw elders' wives measure the sisters skirts under an elder's supervision. A talk about sitting down skirts and standing up skirts.

Brothers had to be closely shaved; mustaches allowed in some congregations if neatly trimmed, hair could not touch ears or collars. No sports shoes, black or brown dress shoes. If not complied with, not assigned talks or "privileges."

Speakers could not wear anything but long-sleeved white shirts and matching 2 piece suits.

Of course, then as even now there are exceptions in congregations. I wonder who is going to apply this "stricter" rule, the elders? Usually the ones who disobey the most, including their children. One elder's son wore a purple satiny suit...many times. No one seemed to care.

For the GB that thinks someone's dress and grooming proves there are a homosexual, did not see the All in the Family episode where Archie's football friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyJ815z3P3s

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    This new directive from the Governing Body will only increase suppression of the sexes that every human has due to societies determination of what is proper, causing more suicides and querky behavior to those under these restrictions causing a increase of child molestation lawsuits over time. What jerks they just can't hide themselves from from it no way. All Hail the Governing Body for being such total Jerks!
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    If I can recall, this isn't the first time the Borg has made mention of this ''tight pants'' issue. I can recall early-mid 1990's circuit assemblies CO's browbeating about tight-fitting pants. Weird.
  • steve2
    steve2

I have followed this thread carefully and think the comments, reactions and inevitable humor are great!

Just one question:

Am I correct to conclude that this latest information is solely in the form of an outline to be delivered by COs - and has not (yet) been issued in any literature such as the Watchtower?

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Ultimately this is going to be something the individual JW is going to have to see for themselves. No one can make these people change their dress codes and no media outlet besides the exJW ones are going to think that it's a newsworthy event that Jehovah's Witnesses have a policy against tight fitting and/or revealing clothing. As has been mentioned, this is a policy that is hardly exclusive to JWs. You can put the info out there, but for a gay or closeted JW to see the light and get out of the JWs, it's going to have to be something that makes them realise that JWs do not have the truth. I don't see many exits primarily based on 'why do I have to wear these silly clothes?'. Being indoctrinated to the point that you honestly believe that the GB has the exclusive channel of God and all these directives must be adhered to is the root issue. Once this is removed, then they can realize how silly it is for a religion to dictate what you can wear, and eventually that the Bible's anti-gay rhetoric originates with the cultural taboos of some desert nomads thousands of years ago.
  • blondie
    blondie

*** w69 2/15 p. 114 par. 7 Keep Making Straight Paths for Your Feet ***

Now, a Christian youth may like long hair on boys, just as a young Christian girl may view the miniskirt as attractive. But if they were to indulge their personal tastes without considering the effect on their ministry, they would undoubtedly lose many privileges of service. One congregation finally had to remove a youthful minister from its list of available speakers because each time he was assigned to conduct a public meeting in a neighboring congregation, a complaint came back about his unusually long hair. Repeated admonition had failed to correct the young man’s viewpoint.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    "Your pants are too tight! We are stripping you of your privilege of scrubbing the toilets and cleaning the bathroom, of talks, and of waking up Saturday mornings for service. That means we must handle your privileges for....you!.......ehhum.....actually they don't look all that tight to me, just forget we ever said anything! Well what are you waiting for?? The toilets won't scrub themselves, back to work!!"
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Guys you sure are putting some good films up that I'm not familiar with - I've been checking them out

Thanks - got my sunday evening with netflix sorted now πŸ‘πŸ˜„

Endofmysteries LoL!!

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think there is anything in what they are saying that comes across as really unreasonable for that type of religious group.

They are not saying, as many seem to think, that the instance people wear unapproved clothes they will be removed from service.

It clearly states people "reflecting the extremes of the world" and the first step would be "kind counsel in a spirit of mildness". The first limitation if that is ignored is not being recommended for bethel or school for evangelizers (is that pioneer school?). Are either of those surprising?

The final restrictions are only "if the body of elders agrees that someone is blatantly and deliberately ignoring repeated counsel, and their dress and grooming is disturbing to the congregation, the elders may determine that the person no longer qualifies to share in the ministry. In such rare cases, no announcement would be made ..."

That hardly seems like the smoking gun of an authoritarian regime and I think if you try and sell it to people as such they will come away with the impression that the WTS / JWs are simply good, reasonable christian folk and we're a bunch of unreasonable, fault-finding nutters.

I think we need to focus on what they actually say, not what we would like them to have said or interpret them as saying. That is all anyone else will see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit