Sincere question to those who no longer believe in God

by nowwhat? 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So much money is wasted on worship (or semi-worship) to Jesus and people letting preachers tell them how to live. The hope with Jesus is for some kind of life after death, so these people throw away not only their money but their precious time for a never-realized future reward.

• LV101
    LV101

Xanthippe - my experience exactly and you summed it up perfectly.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

50 reasons to be ashamed (and not a fan) of Jesus

I think 50 reasons are a good number and their are quite a few sites that are willing to give their point of view on the subject .

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

There's no evidence that the sermon on the mount ever took place, let alone that it was given by some kind of god. There is however plenty of evidence that people have overactive imaginations

God doesn't exist, sorry, science has demonstrated this by gradually removing him from every gap he once filled. There are so few gaps left at this point that the only semblance of a god remaining is little more than a prime mover at best

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

There has never been a force for evil as great as Religion in the world.
    That is evidence enough that there is no god.

• venus
    venus

Behind the details of all the branches of Science we see the essence: Science is the study of laws of nature (with a view to make use of them for our benefit) which means everything in the nature follows certain laws which would further imply that humans also must definitely follow certain laws that contribute to welfare of their own and of others if they want to enjoy their lives.

Similarly, behind the details all the branches of religion we see the essence: All great religious figures such as Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed …were sent by God to restore the remembrance of God which would help people to be good citizens of their respective countries. Hence what they spoke was truth beneficial for the people in their respective contexts. Later, commercial minded followers added things to the original teachings which make a mess of everything giving a reason for modern readers to doubt the historicity of religious leaders. (Mathew 13:24-30; Acts 20:29, 30)

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

All great religious figures such as Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed …were sent by God to restore the remembrance of God which would help people to be good citizens of their respective countries.

That doesn`t sound like an Almighty All knowing God to me ,it just sounds like some crazy mixed up dude who can`t make his mind up on how to help or direct people in this life.

• Onager
    Onager

Here's a couple of dangerous teachings of Jesus:

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself." Matt 6.34

Which, as the late, great Christopher Hitchens said, is the philosophy of economic suicide.

"But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my bretheren?" Matt 12.48

Religion is more important than family.

Then there's the whole purpose or message of the Jesus story: That a man called Adam (made up) did something wrong and I am somehow implicated in that guilt 6,000 years later and the only way for me to remove this imagined guilt is for another man, Jesus (probably made up) to be killed and for me to believe in this without evidence, i.e. faith.

The only reason anyone would accept this insane story is being taught it as fact when impressionable.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I get it, not a fan of Yahweh the desert God. But what about Jesus?

I'm not convinced he actually existed in the way the bible says. The story of his birth and 'teachings', mirrors that of other mythical figures.

Anything wrong with his teachings like the sermon on the mount and the example he set.

Nothing new in much of what he said compared to older texts. It seems to be a confection of older sayings and thoughts.As for anything being wrong, there is the thing about cursing the fig tree that didn't bear fruit...sounds like he had a bit hissy fit.

You have to admit if everyone lived by his teachings the world would be a better place.

I'm sorry, I can't admit this. He came to break up families Matt 10:34. I'm certain apologists can put a lovey dovey spin on these vile words but I don't buy it. Where did he say slavery was wrong? Nowhere, yet if he was real and from god he could have. Instead there is the parable of the faithful 'slave'. I await an apologist to dislike this comment. At least I've said it and it can't be unsaid.

I find it hard to believe he was a figment of someone's overactive imagination. All intelligent comments welcome !

I wonder if he was a composite of different characters from around that time and also before and after. You know, the legend gets bits added.

I'm not convinced he was as the bible describes. He didn't write anything personally. I'd be open to proof either way.

• venus
    venus

Hi smiddy3

Almighty God can remain Almighty allowing people to choose His guidance or to ‘reap what they sow.’ (Luke 6:38) Almighty doesn’t mean He has to use His overwhelming force whenever people want to misuse their free-will. A Super Power on earth can see that no one violate traffic rules by putting some mechanism of overwhelming force on the road; yet Governments do with traffic signals which allows road-users freedom to use them to their benefit or to misuse them for their hurt. Remembrance of results of breaking traffic rules is very much available in the minds of all drivers; hence such a remembrance is almost like omnipresent. Yet when some people in the territory of a Super Power violate traffic rules it would not mean Government of that Super Power country would ‘sound like some crazy mixed up dude who can`t make his mind up on how to help or direct people on the road.’

In real life, things are even worse. People know greed would not benefit in the long run which they have observed from the lives of others. In addition, every country has some stories (like "How Much Land Does A Man Need?" of Tolstoy) to guide people. Yet “Richest 1% own half the world's wealth.” (https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/nov/14/worlds-richest-wealth-credit-suisse) Why are not people satisfied with enough accumulation for one generation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit