On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    If all available evidence pointed to religious peoples' thinking being faulty, peoples' right to hold any belief might be in danger of being eroded - LUHE

Faith-based thinking is irrational by definition. People have the right to be irrational.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    MLK made decisions knowing the dangers. Did his decisions do any good?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

how is it incompatible to respect a right to hold beliefs while recognizing that certain thinking and beliefs are faulty? - in theory, you're 100% correct - and I agree with you.

But also, see my response to Simon's post, above.

As for MLK - offcolour attempt at a joke. So enlighten me, did MLK waste his life?

I'm all ears ...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

People have the right to be irrational

Good, because a fair amount of people are irrational - not just religious people.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I saw your response. Hence my question about MLK.

If she is doing no good, then MLK also did no good.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Sorry Viv, I'm a bit slow today (injured foot and crap computer can get you down), just noticed you're enlightening me re MLK.

Did his decisions do any good? - if you mean his decisions to appear in public as a fighter for civil rights in certain places at certain times and advertise this, then it didn't do him any good, but maybe it did a lot of good to other African-Americans.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    His actions maybe did good? Are you sure it's just maybe?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If she is doing no good, then MLK also did no good - I get it, Hirsi Ali is doing good in practice even though her life is in danger.

So, I take it that you, Viviane, if you ever get into a theological argument with a Muslim, will tell them some home truths about Allah, Muhammad & the Qur'an ...

• Viviane
    Viviane
    What's a home truth?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What's a home truth? - don't play bloody silly buggers with me, Viv.

My foot hurts, I'm potentially in serious financial difficulty, and I'm sure you understand what the phrase "home truths" means.

I'm not in the mood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit