3/4 of Canadians want JWs to get a permit

by RunningMan 28 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The Toronto Globe and Mail did a survey, asking if JWs should be required to get a permit to go door to door. 73% said yes: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/GIS.Servlets.Page/document/polls/pollResults?id=19187&pollid=19187&save=_save&show_vote_always=no&poll=GAMFront&hub=Front&subhub=VoteResult

Too bad the courts don't agree. (If you follow the link, you will need to click on past poll results)

Thursday, Jun. 19, 2003

Blainville, Que., wants Jehovah's Witnesses to pay for a permit to proselytize. Should door-to-door missionaries get a licence before they come knocking at your door?

Yes
    12479 vote s (73 %)
    No
    4675 vote s (27 %)

Total Votes: 17154

Past seven polls:

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

If enough municipalities were to take the action that Blainville is (seeing the popular support is there) wouldn't that be just another pain in their side, and money out of their huge pocketbook.

Obviously, they would fight every bylaw, that came up, but if enough townships and cities decided in unison to do the same, it would be a lot of time and money spent by WTBTS, trying each and everyone of these cases.

And as the polls indicate, there is a strong feeling out there that people are trying to say " Do Not Call "

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Would love to see it,

Wonder if approved, if Witnesses would pay out their own pocket or would the Watchtower pick up the cost, YEAH RIGHT !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How much (guessing) do you think it would cost each witness ???

Can you hear the talk at the next circuit assembly,

"this is Satan's doing, and the world (governments) are turning on the true religion, the end must be near." (again)

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

maybe each city should be allowed to have a vote on it.

In Alberta we have VLT's (slot machines) in the hotels and bars since 1994,

There have been huge meetings, trying to get them out, for obvious reasons, people loosing everything.

Maybe in a round about way this could be the same thing, can you imagine, each city being allowed to vote on whether JW's should be knocking on your door. I sure in would infringe on "their" freedom of speech in our constutuion.

oh well we can dream, maybe one day

• Satanus
    Satanus

Can't outlaw watchtowerism. Maybe this is a good alternative. The govts/city councils could make a special permit category for religious canvassers. Then they could charge, say a minimum of $1000.00 for a jw permit to go door to door. This isn't unreasonable. Here in montreal, taxi permits that costed a couple thou dollars a few yrs ago are being resold for around $150,000.00. It's because there were getting to be too many taxis, so city hall stopped selling new permits. There are way too many dubs going door to door, imo. I never even really liked doing it.

SS

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• Mary
    Mary

Well, if the Witnesses DID have to pay for a permit for going from door-to-door, I'd really like to see what happens in my neighbourhood! Not too many rich JWs there and I think the majority would use this as an excuse NOT to go out in Service anymore ROFLMAO!!!

• acsot
    acsot

SaintSatan: you live in Montreal???????? are you able or willing to say in which part of the city?

• Satanus
    Satanus

See the pm.

• Phil
    Phil

Permits be damned. The JWs as well as all religious groups should pay income tax like all the rest of the country. Look at the property owned by the JWs in Brooklyn and Patterson. All the local residents and industry are obliged to pay more than their share of taxes to support a religious cult that they do not agree with. That's a bummer. The Watchtower don't even help with the unemployment in the area because the have some suckers come in and work for peanuts.

TAX 'EM, TAX 'EM TAX 'EM TAX 'EM, TAX 'EM, TAX 'EM

I tried to find out from the IRS how much they earn and how much the princiipals are making, with no success.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit