My Active JW Mother Told Me They Have Sold Several KHs

by truth1 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    What do you guys think? Are they selling them in any of your areas?

Personally I've not heard from my family about any recent quickbuilds going on, so I guess the increase isn't there like they want it to be.

Ignored One.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Here in Eden NC thay had it up for sale for a year or two but no one has bought it yet. They have a lot over in the country to build a new one but I don't really know why. I don't know how many are in the congregation now but I don't think they outgrew the old one. I may check into it if they will still talk to me. I may be labeled as an apostate now.

Ken P.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm not sure of the current status, but they've applied for a building permit in a suburb east of Seattle, The neighbors are opposed to it, but I don't think they can stop it. Haven't heard of any being sold.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

One is being built in our area. The financing of local halls is 1.) A money maker for the society as they charge interest 2.) Operating expenses are totally handled locally.

I don't think selling of the halls has anything to do with anything except upgrading halls via quick builds.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I think that they have plenty of money. No matter if they lose the cases......they can get appeal after appeal and have the ruling lowered, etc. Those lawyers are on their payroll anyway, so why not use them?

I think that the lawsuits have a better mental effect than financial. They have craploads of money.

ash

• jws
    jws

Could be shrinkage affecting them. Selling two or three halls and combining them to share a double-hall probably works well. One property with more space is probably cheaper than to maintain than 2 or 3. And with shrinking congregations, combining means more total JWs to support one building.

The Society has gone to extremes for cost-cutting. My dad says they combined 2 circuits because it's more economical to have one less weekend that the assembly hall is fired up with all the lights and heating/air conditioning. Then the books being changed from hardcover to soft. Cutting out subscriptions, etc. Every penny that can be pinched is being pinched.

Is that because of pending lawsuits? Maybe. Are the new rulers of the org just better businessmen and have come up with cost saving measures? Then again, since Sept 11 and with the downturn in the economy people are spending less money on charity and donations. Maybe this has hit them hard as well.

How exactly does the money flow in contributions? I know they used to read it all off in the financial reports, but I forget. If the KH gets say $3000 in donations a month, they have utilities and maybe a mortgage to pay. Sometimes they have a carryover, sometimes they have to draw on their savings. What goes back to the Watchtower Society? How is the Society funded? I know they make money off selling the publications to the local KHs. And what about the congregation? In some rich areas, they might get $10K/month in donations and spend $2K/month for expenses. Does the extra money just accumulate until the local hall has hundreds of thousands of dollars at its disposal? Or when it gets to a certain amount does the Socety demand all the excess? Or do they let the halls accumulate the money, but require a certain percentage of donations every month? And what about halls getting fewer donations than their expenses?

• observador
    observador

Combining 2 KH in 1 may have a different effect other than monetary savings: it reduces the perception of low attendance. I know, it had an effect on me. I used to go to a crowded hall and then moved to another location where the hall was half-emptied. You're like 'where's everyone?'

I'm not saying that this is their motive for selling, though.

Observador.

• freein89
    freein89

I've been out since 89 and was very out of the loop until I began checking out you apostates (kidding I'm proud to be an apostate) anyway I live in a small town in Western Wisconsin and the JW's just had a quick build here last summer. Perhaps they sell and consolidate congregations to conserve and grow even more $$$$. Greed has no bounds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit