What Book(s) Changed Your Life?

by MrsQ 18 Replies latest jw friends

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

I don't mean an epiphany, necessarily--although that does count. I mean, what books came along and just changed the way you look at things.

For me, (so far) it has been:

Still Life With Woodpecker (Tom Robbins)

The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)

Maybe it was just that I read them at pivitol points in my life--but both are so valuable to me.

I'd love to hear what all yours are...

Q.

• blondie
    blondie

Podakayne's Mars

Anything by Agatha Christie

Crisis of Conscience

Blondie

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

Thou shalt not be aware - Alice Miller

• onacruse
    onacruse

The True Believer (Eric Hoffer)

I found a copy, totally by accident, as I was driving down a side street in eastern Oregon on a sunny Sunday morning (several years ago)...passed by a Salvation Army store (closed at the moment), that had a box of books out in front marked "free." I dug through the box, and found Hoffer's book. I thought "Hmmm, this looks interesting." When I got home, I couldn't put it down...it was like "Oh my God, I can't believe it; this exactly describes the WTS."

Craig

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/5O5JCTC22DHP/ref=cm_aya_av.lm_more/104-5383085-5485507

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/member-reviews/-/A26CG590D6FR6V/104-5383085-5485507

Barbara Walker's Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets

Bloodline of the Holy Grail--Laurence Gardner

Nag Hammadi Library-Robinson et al

The Battle For God- Karen Armstrong

and some others.

(see my amazon lists on the links)

Ravyn

• Mulan
    Mulan

#1 Crisis of Conscience

#2 The Road Less Traveled

#3 Combatting Cult Mind Control

I'll not be the same woman again.

• Albatross
    Albatross

Must have taken my father (an avid reader) two full years to get through Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. He kept putting the book down and staring off into space, unable for days to pick it up again.

Some twelve years ago I read it myself and I've not forgotten the things I learned. I'll never trust the government again.

Russell Means' Where White Men Fear To Tread was another. Broke my heart. And I am not Indian, but white.

Crisis of Conscience though was the greatest. That book set me free of twenty-nine years of slavery, and probably saved my life. I am eternally grateful to its kind and gentle author.

Albatross

• nowisee
    nowisee

well there have been many, but probably the most earth-shattering, life changing book for me was "the women's room" by marilyn french. i saw that i had experienced many of the same things as the book's protagonist in my own life, and i realized then that i had bought and believed all of the sexism of my father, religion, husband, men for whom i had worked, and male-dominated culture, hook, line and sinker. what an eye-opener.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Mrs. Q and welcome!!

I just finished a book by Diane Wilson called "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness". I thought it was great. I couldn't put it down. I also love the Frog and Toad series that I read with my son(age ) lol...those stories are hysterical!!

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

Ravyn--

I LOVE Karen Armstrong. I have The Battle For God, and I totally enjoyed it!

All--

The great thing about this thread is that there are bunch of books here I've not heard of. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading many of your selections! I'm always looking for a good read!

Q.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit