Is it OK for men to cry?

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• freein89
    freein89

You better believe it's more than ok. My husband crys, granted he tries not to but I see him wiping those tears. Sad movies and love and kindness from family. It moves him to tears. Now my husband is a manly sort of man-hunting and fishing guy extrordinaire. He is a hard working, blue collar, muscle bound hunk of MAN that cries and I love him all the more for it-so do our 6 grown children.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I think its ok to cry sometimes, but then again I think some men and even more women cry too much. Just my opinion.

I've never cried at a funeral, but the closest person who's ever died was my aunt by marriage. I was younger than 10 at the time.

I saw my mother in the hospital in a lot of pain. I left the hospital to go home. When I got to my car, I just sat there in the parking lot and cried a few minutes. It turned out to be gall stones, but at that point I had not idea what was wrong. It was the first time I was truly afraid for one of my parents. I dread the day I have to say good bye for good.

I had a few private cries through my teenage years and into college and I admit to getting some teary eyes while watching some movies like, for example, Schindler's List. I have the soundtrack. Even that is pretty sad. Those kinds of cries have always been when I was alone, and I probably wouldn't tell anyone about them face to face. The anonymity of the Internet is nice.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

my husband cries when he is 'touched' especially at music or musical talent. He laughs until he cries. I made him cry once. Otherwise, he said he cries, but in private.

Ravyn

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Perhaps a more interesting question is why is it "OK" for men to rage, but not to cry.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    but it is seen as weakness when a man cries

I think a man that can express himself emotionally is a well rounded person. I will let Thunder answer for him and whether he does or not. I find that men that don't cry usually are very violent and mean. They think they have to be studs. We raised our son to express himself and he has cried a few times all of his firends think he is just so cool. I read notes that said "Wow, Anthony I am so glad you cried so I could'.... kinda thing LOL

• Angharad
    Angharad

YES !

I d efinitely dont see it as any sort of weakness if someone expresses their emotions.

• maxwell
    maxwell
    Perhaps a more interesting question is why is it "OK" for men to rage, but not to cry.

That might be a more interesting question. Personally, I think allowing any emotion to go unchecked is not good, whether it's sadness, anger or even happiness. There's a healthy balanced way to express them. In my experience, people justify women's rage and tantrums at least as much as men's. If a woman feels offended by something a man says and throws her drink on him or slaps him, it usually goes unchecked. There are healthy ways to express or release emotions without assaulting or harming another person or their property. Further, crying indefinitely is not a healthy expression of sadness, even when no one else is depending on you. At some point, the tears have to end and you have to move on with your life. Just my view.

• happyout
    happyout

There are definitely times it is ok for people to cry. People meaning all humans! It's not ok for anyone to cry over everything, but there are occasions when it's downright inappropriate not to cry, the death of a loved one, extreme joy, etc.

Happyout

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    the tears have to end and you have to move on with your life. Just my view.

Maxwell: They aren't talking about inconsolable crying. The issue was should men cry. Of course they are human. Thunder has cried since our son left, that is normal. I have corresponded with Mothers that have sons that just left for bootcamp with jerks for husbands saying"watcha crying for" geesh. DUH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit