Harry Potter Mania

by Shakita 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

My daughter and I just love the Harry Potter books. We are eagerly awaiting the 5th book in the series which should be delivered to my home on Saturday. Anyone here pre-order the book?

They say that the author, J.K. Rowling, is now richer than the queen, with a fortune estimated at $450 million. For a woman who wrote her first book while a single mother on welfare, I think she has done very well for herself. And, the next Potter movie to come out, “Prisoner of Azkaban” is supposed to help “Harry Potter” replace “Jurassic Park” as the third-largest money-making franchise in history when it is released in the summer of 2004.

Some have criticized the books, saying that they delve into witchcraft and sorcery. I don't see the difference between these books and "The Wizard of OZ", which included "good" and "bad" witches. I look at it as pure entertainment. And, I feel that reading is the best entertainment there is.

Mrs. Shakita

• Gerard
    Gerard

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2998198.stm

Rowling's tears at Potter book death
    JK Rowling Rowling told Paxman she had not suffered writer's block
    JK Rowling has told how she cried after killing off a "significant" character in the fifth Harry Potter book.

In an interview with Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman, to be screened on BBC Two on Thursday, she described how she walked into her kitchen in tears after writing the death scene for The Order of the Phoenix.

She also reveals she looks forward to a post-Harry era in her life - and denies missing a deadline or experiencing writer's block while writing the book.

The meeting with Paxman is her first and only interview before the book's release.

She says of killing off her character: "Well, I had re-written the death, re-written it and that was it. It was definitive. And the person was definitely dead.

JK Rowling Rowling said she looked forward to a post-Harry life
    "And I walked into the kitchen crying and Neil [her husband] said to me, 'What on earth is wrong?' and I said, 'Well, I've just killed the person'.

"Neil doesn't know who the person is. And he said, 'Well, don't do it then'.

"I thought, he's a doctor you know... and I said, 'Well it just doesn't work like that. You are writing children's books, you need to be a ruthless killer'."

Bookmakers Ladbrokes on Wednesday refused to accept any more bets on the identity of the character who dies.

Ladbrokes spokesman Warren Lush said: "People out there know, it would be a licence to lose money."

Paxman also asks if he is allowed to look inside a copy of the book perched on the table.

The Order of the PhoenixThe Order of the Phoenix is awaited by millions worldwide
    Rowling replies: "Hmmmm. Yes a bit. You can have a look there... Yes so, that's it."

Asked if she finds the secrecy issue ridiculous, she says no, adding: "Well, a lot of it comes from me.

"I mean, of course one could be cynical, and I'm sure you would be disposed to be so, and say it was a marketing ploy, but I don't want the kids to know what's coming.

"Because that's part of the excitement of the story, and having sweated blood to create all my red herrings and lay all my clues... It's not my life, but it is a very important part of my life."

'Turbulent'

Speaking about life after Potter, Rowling says: "It's going to be very difficult to leave it...I do look forward to a post-Harry era in my life, because some of the things that go along with this are not that much fun.

"But at the same time, I dread leaving Harry... because I've been working on it over what I sincerely hope will prove to have been the most turbulent part of my life and that was the constant, and I worked on it so hard for so long... then it will be over and I think it's going to leave a massive gap."

Speaking about the length of time it took to write the book, she says: "Just once and for all, for the record, I didn't miss the deadline. Because there was no deadline."

"And you didn't have writer's block on that book?" asks Paxman.

"No!" she says. "I just produced a quarter of a million words!"

'Explodes everything'

She also speaks about speculation over how the series might end and what would become of Harry and his friends.

"There is one thing that if anyone guessed I would be really annoyed, as it is kind of the heart of it all.

"And it kind of explodes everything - and no one's quite got there, but a couple of people have skirted it."

JK Rowling: The Interview, will be broadcast at on 1930 BST on BBC Two on Thursday.

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

oooh--I am salivating! I can't wait! Although, I didn't pre-order. I'll be sure to get my hands on a copy as soon as I can, though.

As far as people criticizing Harry Potter. Give. Me. A. Break.

If your kids can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality--its really not Harry Potter's fault. That is some good, clean fun right there.

Q.

• outnfree
    outnfree

I love the Harry Potter books and my son pre-ordered the book for my daughter as her birthday gift.

So we shall be at Border's at midnight on Friday for the release party. What fun!!!

outnfree

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

My husband pre-ordered the book. We love them. There will be a race to the mailbox on Saturday to see who gets their hands on it first!

As someone who has always wanted to be a writer, I have the utmost respect and adulation for Ms. Rowling. She's done something most aspiring writers [ and most successful ones ] only dream of. She's made her mark on the world and she has touched millions of people. Truly amazing.

As for the people who are afraid of Harry Potter and think it's demonic or teaches children witchcraft - they are the height of ignorance. Anyone who knows anything about real witchcraft knows what Harry practices is not real, it's cinematic. Anyone who critcizes the books without reading them isn't worth the effort to debate with.

My kids are a little too young yet to really be able to enjoy the books, though they've seen the movies. Hopefully by the time the NEXT one comes out my daughter will be able to begin reading the first one, but she'll be at least 18 before I allow her to read the Bible. {I don't want any of THAT crazy stuff in her head at an impressionable age.}

Silverleaf

• Shakita
    Shakita

Silverleaf:

she'll be at least 18 before I allow her to read the Bible. {I don't want any of THAT crazy stuff in her head at an impressionable age.}

HA! You sound very smart there. When I used to read "My Book of Bible Stories" to my kids, I would skip around to try and find the least offensive stories to read to them. Believe me, there weren't many in that book that were suitable for young readers. If they were to put a rating on the Bible, I wonder what it would be.....PG-13?

Two days till we receive the book.......

I am so glad that I am not the only adult here who enjoys reading the "Potter" books.

Mrs. Q:

If your kids can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality--its really not Harry Potter's fault. That is some good, clean fun right there.

You are so right! There will always be those who want to impose their own beliefs and consciences on others. I say that if it bothers your conscience, then don't read it. But, don't force your conscience on others. It is FICTION, and should be enjoyed as such!

Gerard:

I have a feeling I know who dies in the book, but am not totally for sure. There was a character that died in the 4th book which was quite a shock. My daughter was upset when this unfolded, but I found it gave the story the depth and feeling needed at the end.

Good reading everybody!

Mrs. Shakita

• TD
    TD

I'm sure my daughter will be climbing the walls this Saturday waiting for her book to arrive. I read the first one out of curiosity when she came home from a book fair with it several years ago. It was a very enjoyable book.

I didn't and don't see any great deal of difference between the "magic" depicted in Harry Potter and the magic depicited in the Chronicles of Narnia for example, which happened to be written by one of the greatest Christian thinkers of the 20th century.

Tom

• Gerard
    Gerard
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3002520.stm Rowling sues over Potter leak
    Melissa and Steve Melissa, with her boyfriend Steve, refused to hand over the book
    Harry Potter author JK Rowling has filed a $100m (£60m) lawsuit against the New York Daily News after the tabloid published details about the plot of her latest book.

The suit, filed by the author and US publisher Scholastic, claims the newspaper damaged Rowling's intellectual property rights and harmed Scholastic's $3m (£1.7m) worldwide marketing campaign.

And in Canada, a woman was able to purchase a copy of the book after it was mistakenly put on the shelves of a supermarket.

The much-anticipated fifth Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - is set to be released on Saturday morning.

In an article published on Wednesday, the New York Daily News reported how it had obtained a copy of the book at a health food store in Brooklyn.

It reveals that there is a whole raft of new characters in the book and that, as JK Rowling has promised, one important character does not survive the book.

Shop window

The Daily News does caution readers to stop reading if they do not want to know any more and to go out and buy the book.

altWe will vigorously defend any action and are confident we did nothing wrong journalistically or legally alt New York Daily News spokesman
    The newspaper said it had acquired the copy from a health food shop after the owner mistakenly put them on display in the shop window early.

Terrence Johnson was among the few who bought a copy of the book at the shop.

"My sister likes the movie and I'm sure she reads the books.

"I came in, I saw one copy left and I asked him if it was for sale, he said 'sure'," Mr Johnson said.

The shop owner Carlos Aguila said: "Literally we had folks getting a little hysterical about the fact that we had Harry Potter's new book.

"I mean we had no idea the release date was the 21st."

Daily News spokesman Ken Frydman said: "We will vigorously defend any action and are confident we did nothing wrong journalistically or legally."

No advance copies have been made available to the media as the author and publisher had hoped to keep the plot secret until its release.

Media outlets are also subject to an injunction preventing them from giving away any details.

The Order of the Phoenix The Order of the Phoenix is awaited by millions worldwide
    A Scholastic spokesman said the company hoped "this unfortunate situation will not spoil the surprise for millions of children around the country who have been eagerly awaiting the book".

Eight-and-a-half-million copies have been printed in the United States alone - and already there are orders for more than a million.

But amid the tight security there have been a number of breaches.

In Canada a woman bought a copy of the book from a Wal-Mart supermarket.

'Page-turner'

The woman, identified only as Melissa, said she had found the new book in the Montreal store.

Her boyfriend Steve contacted the publishers and despite its pleas she refused to hand it over because she had yet to finish it, but would not reveal details.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: "They did not want me to say anything about the book. Obviously I'm allowed to make comments about whether it's good or not, but with the contents of the book they really did not want me to say anything, so that is why I decided not to."

But she added that it was a "really good page-turner".

Wal-Mart has launched an investigation as to how the books ended up on display.

And in the UK thousands of copies of the Order of the Phoenix were stolen from a warehouse as they waited to be distributed around the country.

• frogit
    frogit

I wanted to marry JK Rowling but some other bloke beat me to it!

Ohand I forgot you can "only marry in the Lord" dam it.....

frogit

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thunder and I Barnes and Nobles tomorrow night midnight

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit