Harry Potter Mania

by Shakita 26 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

Well, I'm one of those people who has not read any of the Harry Potter books, nor watched any of the movies, but I was at a Barnes and Noble bookstore last night at 7:00 PM, and there were already people lined up outside to get tickets for the midnight release, which were not to be given out for at least another 2 hours. Geez, would it have killed people to go get the book today when the lines are all long gone ?

Every person who has read the series has told me that the books are great, both adults and kids alike. Up to yesterday I ignored them, but at the aforementioned B&N they were selling the 1st four books in the series at a 20% discount (plus an extra 10% for me since I'm a Readers Advantage card holder), so I basically said "why not?", and spent $25 on the 4 books, this despite the fact that I don't normally read children's books, as well as the fact that I have no less than 10 books that I still have unread that I still plan to read ahead of the four I just bought. Oh well, J.K. Rowling will have to wait untill after Joyce Carol Oates.

• outnfree
    outnfree

OTS,

Thanks! Our book jacket is just as you described, too.

Ded,

My son has also read "The Chronicles of Narnia" and is a big fan, and I know my daughter has read some of them. I've only read Lewis' "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" -- which I read out loud to my kids when they were little. Both have also read JRR Tolkien.

SheilaM,

I am beginning to think we are cosmic twins! Not only did I read "Little Women" very young, but ALL of Ms. Alcott's books! I never was able to convince my girls to read them, although I bought most of them from a book club when the kids were younger. They did enjoy the modern day movie version of "Little Women," though.

I am going to be so happy when I am finished with these two classes and actually have some leisure time to read!!! Although I'll likely get to Hoffer's "True Believer" before both kids are through with "The Order of the Phoenix."

out

• Simon
    Simon

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books and only have watched the films. To be honest, I thought they were so-so and don't know what all the fuss is about. There does not seem to me to be anything new in it all that hasn't been done a thousand times in other kids books.

Now C.S.Lewis's Narnia is different !

I've read the complete chronicles of narnia several times and am going to start it as a bedtime story book for our two soon (maybe an excuse for me to read it again)

Of course it's written as a complete mirror of the bible (I know now) but is much better written that that nonsense !

I read some of his other, more adult novels such as Prelandra and Out of the Silent Planet and to be honest, they were a bit scary !

• Simon
    Simon

I've just noticed that the ads at the top of the page are for Harry Potter books !

I'm quite impressed with Google ... if they do have an IPO I think they may well be worth a flutter

• Aztec
    Aztec

Will someone please just tell me which character died?

~Aztec

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I read some of his other, more adult novels such as Prelandra and Out of the Silent Planet and to be honest, they were a bit scary !

Yea, those are fantastic. My favorite is Prelandra.

ash

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

OutnFree; I am making Thunder read Little Women now LOL He is none to happy

Simon: Thunder loves the Potter books and movies...oh and hey your not supposed to be reading anything but Thunder Rider's Burden LOL ROFLMAO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit