Fully Gifted Creation, No God of Gaps

by D wiltshire 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

The notion that God exists outside time is convenient, but introduces serious philosophical problems. If past, present and future are all the same to God, then they must all exist 'simultaneously' in a higher order dimension. God must then be able to view all of time as a static structure, which means that all events were immutably fixed at the moment of the structure's creation. Thus, what we perceive as events are not events at all, but are merely the moving intersection of what we perceive as "the present" with the static structure of "time". Thus there is no free will since everything is static in a higher order dimension. But one of the foundations of Judeo-Christian philosophy is that free will exist. Thus the notion that God exists outside time contradicts strongly entrenched Biblical philosophy.

Corollary to the above is that God must perceive his own sort of "time", since our "present" is "moving" in some sense at a certain pace, and by definition such movement must take "time". If one then claims that God had no beginning in our spacetime, since he exists outside of it, the problem of God's beginning still exists since the referent is not our spacetime but God's own "time". I.e., in this special "time", just how did God come into existence? Again, putting this problem off as a mystery completely justifies putting off the problem of the naturalistic beginning of our spacetime as a mystery. In other words, the argument that "design requires a designer" is self-defeating.

AlanF

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Ab,

Well, I can see you've done a lot of thinking Dwilt. However, your belief structure is currently largely pinned to the presuppositionalist structure you grew up with, which in turn is an accident of birth, and violates Occam's Razor. As you know, Occam's Razor states that if you have equal evidence the simplest explanation is probably true. Adding an inexplicable god doesn't make your explaination any simpler.

I notice the word "probably" true. So so how can you violate occam's razor since it states not a hard fast true rule but a probability.

Do you sincerely believe that god is partial and exclusive? Because if you'd been born a Hindu, I think you'd still be a Hindu.

I thinkyou are getting off track and into another unrelated subject.

Do you sincerely believe that you have succesfully doged the question of the origin of god? You seem to be putting the explaination into a special class of knowledge, just because you can't come up with an answer ("Time having a begining, could be used to explain it.", "I hope to understand it one day but not here inside time and space."), which is kind of convenient. Please realise that things happened before time, otherwise time could not have started, and thus your hope of doging the endless chain of designers required to validate your theory is just not on.

I'm only stating my opinion which like yours has its pro's and con's. I don't think you, I ,or any other human knows enough about time, to make such a conclusive statement as you have done in your last sentence.

Alan,

The notion that God exists outside time is convenient, but introduces serious philosophical problems. If past, present and future are all the same to God, then they must all exist 'simultaneously' in a higher order dimension. God must then be able to view all of time as a static structure, which means that all events were immutably fixed at the moment of the structure's creation. Thus, what we perceive as events are not events at all, but are merely the moving intersection of what we perceive as "the present" with the static structure of "time". Thus there is no free will since everything is static in a higher order dimension. But one of the foundations of Judeo-Christian philosophy is that free will exist. Thus the notion that God exists outside time contradicts strongly entrenched Biblical philosophy.

I think the Bible has little say about the nature of God to insinuate that he therefore could not exist outside time. The Bible uses metaphors, and speaks of God in the masculine, he has arms, eyes and not knowing something. I don't think these things are literal, but metaphors, the Bible has lots of these, it is rich in this type of language. One has to keep this in mind before making a supposed Bible doctrine. This is where fundy's and JW make their bigest blunders.

Corollary to the above is that God must perceive his own sort of "time", since our "present" is "moving" in some sense at a certain pace, and by definition such movement must take "time". If one then claims that God had no beginning in our spacetime, since he exists outside of it, the problem of God's beginning still exists since the referent is not our spacetime but God's own "time". I.e., in this special "time", just how did God come into existence? Again, putting this problem off as a mystery completely justifies putting off the problem of the naturalistic beginning of our spacetime as a mystery. In other words, the argument that "design requires a designer" is self-defeating.
    I don't see it as self defeating. I see it as plausible, due to what we are now discovering about time. I don't ever suppose to be able to explain time (completely), all I know is it is not what it appears to be, Albert E. theorys make that plain and provable. Quantum physics, the subatomic world is nothing like the world at our scale, so why should God be tied down to the world at our scale or the universe for that matter.
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I don't see it as self defeating.

It is self-defeating, and not because of anything to do with time. If design requires a designer, who designed the designer? Did you not just establish that design requires a designer? How can that not also apply to the designer? If it doesn't apply to the designer, then why can't it also not apply to the universe itself?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I notice the word "probably" true. So so how can you violate occam's razor since it states not a hard fast true rule but a probability.

The whole point of Occam's Razor ("Do not multiply entities unnecessarily") is to deal with probabilities. Any phenomenon can be explained in a variety of ways any of which may be true, but some explanations, while being no more useful than others, require more explanation in themselves. Your god is one such explanation. Adding him into the equation doesn't explain anything that can't be explained without him, it just makes everything more complicated.

Yes, the universe might in fact contain your god, just as a car might in fact be powered by an internal combustion engine and invisible fairies, but your god and the invisible fairies are irrelevant unless there's evidence that requires them or supports their existence.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Derick,

The whole point of Occam's Razor ("Do not multiply entities unnecessarily") is to deal with probabilities. Any phenomenon can be explained in a variety of ways any of which may be true, but some explanations, while being no more useful than others, require more explanation in themselves. Your god is one such explanation. Adding him into the equation doesn't explain anything that can't be explained without him, it just makes everything more complicated.

I think we have to remember that Occam's Razor is not a absolute law of nature. If something doe not follow this wise saying does not mean anything for proving whether it is right or wrong.

Yes, the universe might in fact contain your god, just as a car might in fact be powered by an internal combustion engine and invisible fairies, but your god and the invisible fairies are irrelevant unless there's evidence that requires them or supports their existence.

Thank for being genereous enough to admit there "might be a God".

Dwr,

It is self-defeating, and not because of anything to do with time. If design requires a designer, who designed the designer? Did you not just establish that design requires a designer?

I don't recall "establishing" that a design requires a designer. I think a design can happen without an intelligence acting "directly" on something to make a design. If that's what you mean.

How can that not also apply to the designer? If it doesn't apply to the designer, then why can't it also not apply to the universe itself?

How does God make something out of nothing, I don't know. I don't think there is anyone who could ever "explain" God's eterenal existence satifactorily.

Some say there is no God they have there "reasons unprovable" just as some say there is a God and they have their "reasons unprovable". We all have "reasons unprovable" so take your pick. We use our intelligence the best we can on that one. Your "reasons" like my "reasons" are not rock solid. We simply do the best we can with what got.

In my opinion the observable facts seem to point to a "fully gifted creation". Other may disagree, and that's OK, but they must remember one thing they don't have is, conclusive proof that they are right. They can make beleive they are right but they can't prove they are right.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I'm going to be plain and simple about the whole thing -- when I look at the incredible complexity and pure grandeur of the universe, I just don't see some tribal god of the Jews behind it all. Sure, there are parts of the Bible that are "deep" and poetic. And then there are parts that are primitive, contradictory and unrefined. You sound like you have a very good knowledge of science and I laud your introspective, philosophical mind. But, I just can't jump on the "Bible is in some way inspired" bandwagon. I think the best and most honest way to look at the Bible is to take what it says at face value and not stretch it's meaning so as to correspond to modern scientific findings. When Genesis says God put Adam asleep and removed a rib from him which He formed into Eve I don't think it can be "interpreted" in any other way but literally. That's what the ancient Jews believed, so why cater it's meanings to our scientific understanding?

Bradley

PS -- I'm sorry if my previous post was a little harsh sounding -- I could have chosen better words to get my point across.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I don't recall "establishing" that a design requires a designer. I think a design can happen without an intelligence acting "directly" on something to make a design. If that's what you mean.

Hmm...I must have misunderstood you. Earlier in this thread you said "God does exist because of the vast order i see and that something doesn't come from nothing." I took that to mean you believe things with apparent design must have had a designer. It is self-defeating because an infinitely complex god would, by that logic, require an even more impressive designer than himself. Unless you believe that god had no beginning. In which case I argue: how can you so easily reason that way when god is more complex than our entire universe? The same universe that you say demands a designer?

How does God make something out of nothing, I don't know. I don't think there is anyone who could ever "explain" God's eterenal existence satifactorily.

I don't think it's hard to imagine god (as he is defined in the bible) creating something out of nothing, but that wasn't my point. The question was how can god himself come from nothing.

I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions, and I am grateful for leaving the organization and we can actually have these thought provoking discussions! In the organization we would have only been allowed to regurgitate the Society's current "light."

What it boils down to for me is I see no hard, objective evidence to believe in god. Sure, the universe appears to have design, but that's not hard evidence. I also have a problem with how god is defined. God is completely untestable; he cannot be proven. I said in another thread that I could make up something about some 4th dimensional gnome that lives to terrorize humans. There's no way to disprove that because we cannot comprehend or visit the 4th dimension. But we see humans being "terrorized" so is that proof my gnome exists? No.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I think we have to remember that Occam's Razor is not a absolute law of nature. If something doe not follow this wise saying does not mean anything for proving whether it is right or wrong.

That's perfectly correct and shows that you don't understand the point of Occam's Razor at all.

Occam's Razor is a rule-of-thumb. It's a very powerful rule-of-thumb because it allows us to formulate the simplest possible theories to explain whatever needs to be explained. You're free to ignore it if you wish, but be aware that doing so allows you to create all sorts of weird and wonderful beings, and your god has no more claim to reality than any other non-falsifiable entity that can be imagined.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Logan,

I'm going to be plain and simple about the whole thing -- when I look at the incredible complexity and pure grandeur of the universe, I just don't see some tribal god of the Jews behind it all. Sure, there are parts of the Bible that are "deep" and poetic. And then there are parts that are primitive, contradictory and unrefined. You sound like you have a very good knowledge of science and I laud your introspective, philosophical mind. But, I just can't jump on the "Bible is in some way inspired" bandwagon.
    You have to remember, the Bible is not "inspired writting" It was "men" who were inspired (there is a big difference) and so put it in word that expressed their concepts in their words with their style writting(common for that time). So if you get to know ancient history better you will better understand the Bible. People who wrote the Bible had a very vague idea of what the stars were, they didn't have telescopes, they didn't know what gravity was, they knew nothing about molecues and atoms, they had no idea that north and south America existed, knew very little about math(basic,primative), new nothing about the Pacific ocean, and many other thing we today take for granted, if you can remember that you might understand more. Try to be reasonable, and you might be very surprised.
    I think the best and most honest way to look at the Bible is to take what it says at face value and not stretch it's meaning so as to correspond to modern scientific findings. When Genesis says God put Adam asleep and removed a rib from him which He formed into Eve I don't think it can be "interpreted" in any other way but literally. That's what the ancient Jews believed, so why cater it's meanings to our scientific understanding? Bradley

This part of Genesis can be translated very differently according to Hebrew scholars, I am told. But for sure the Jews had a wrong idea about God's creation, they would not read Genesis the same way we read it today, but still they would only have a faint idea of what really happened. Today we have science that is giving us more and more understanding of how God did it, back then they didn't have science and God told them very simply what he did, by inspiring a man that put it in his own words and concepts, that was the best way back then to do it. If you are too critical you won't see the beauty of it ever.

PS -- I'm sorry if my previous post was a little harsh sounding -- I could have chosen better words to get my point across.
    If you were I completely forgot about it.
  • D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

What does cosmology evolution tell us? That everything is continuess, with no "Gaps" so far as they know at present, should we conclude that it will change sometime it could but for know it seems very continuess, no flaws, a beautiful tapastry patern that is a rich in so much so that it makes everything possible for life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit