Did you get made fun of when you were in school?

by doodle-v 34 Replies latest jw friends

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Did you get made fun of when you were in school? If so, what did you do about it?

I'm curious to know because when i was in Junior High I was constantly picked on made fun of and the butt of many jokes. Even remembering that hurts till this day. I guess its a given that if you grow up JW and dont hide it at school then you are going to stick out like a sore thumb, and that i did. Sixth grade was the absolute worse for me. At that age all the kids were in cliques. I had my own clique which consisted of one person, myself. My clothes sucked. My mom got all my clothes from second hand stores, which i dont blame her of course because it was all we could afford. But man, did it suck going to school wearing courdoury slacks (in 1988). I would come home crying and my mom would say that I was supposed to be different because i was a JW and Jehovah's people constantly have their faith tested and undergo persecution. It got better when i got in high-school but I still had a hard time interacting with "worldy" people because of my underdeveloped social skills. I'm much better now that im out, but i never ever ever want my kids to go through what i did. *sigh*

ok someone please give me a hug

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Was I made fun of, sure, it went deep inside and made me try harder. In fourth grade my cousin and I went on a rampage on the play ground avenging all the kids picked on by bullies. I'm not sure how many guys we took down before the teachers got to us, but it was quite a few. And we weren't ganging up on them, we took em in groups of 3-5.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

LOL- wish i coulda been there to watch

• Mary
    Mary

Of course I did. I was made fun of because of my religion, which got me to turn to food for comfort, which made me put on weight which REALLY got me picked on, which contributed to my low self esteem....................lots of fun!

• sandy
    sandy

I don't think I was ever picked on in school. At least not on a regular basis. I cannot imagine, as sensative as I am, what I would do.

My little cousin is picked on a lot at school. Children can be very cruel. My cousin is very dark-skinned and somebody always seems to make fun of her. There is always some little brat that seems to think she is better than everyone else and singles out someone to pick on.

I really feel bad for her because she doesn't have any friends at school. That has to be really hard to deal with.

• double_c
    double_c

We had school assemblies, where the whole year would get together for stuff like sports match reports, school info and a play put on by some of the kids, usually with a moral theme. Unfortunately, they also sang a couple of hymns and said a prayer (always the same one). This was incompatible with being a JW (or so my Mum thought), so I was excluded from that part of the assembly, but present for the announcements etc. The upshot of this was that instead of skipping assembly altogether, I had to stand by the door, go out for the hymns and prayers, then come back in again. Talk about making oneself obvious, I might as well have painted a big fat target on my back. Kids used to shout the Lord's Prayer at me in the playground because 'I wasn't allowed to hear it', or so they said.

Missing Religious Education lessons was cool though. I could go to the school library for an hour and read anything I liked, usually horror books or adventure stories. Pity it didn't make up for all the verbal abuse.

Oh yeah, this is my first post here. Hi everyone!

• undercover
    undercover
    It got better when i got in high-school but I still had a hard time interacting with "worldy" people because of my underdeveloped social skills.

I know exactly what you mean. Even after school, dealing with people in the world was intimidating.

I went from an out-going, boisterous, inquisitive pre-schooler to an introverted, quiet, shy teenager because of the ridicule heaped upon me in school. I learned to hide in the background, not bring attention to myself, fade away from any controversy or confrontation. My parents would not let me dress or groom as the other kids which was almost unbearable at times. Almost everybody had long/longer hair in the 70s cept us JW kids. I walked away from fights(turn the other cheek ya know) as I was being laughed at, while inside I was busting with feelings of rage that would have made me really kick some ass if I had fought. Being different/persecuted did not show me how God favored me over anyone.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Welcome to the board!!

• double_c
    double_c

Thanks!

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

I was picked on a lot in school. It got so bad in elementary school that I had chronic stomach problems from the stress. I was picked on for being a JW, of course, even by my first grade teacher. Some role model, hey? Mostly I was picked on for being mixed in a very white town. Being called nigger, runaway slave, burnt cookie, being told to go back to Africa were common, everyday occurances. Kids used to throw things in my hair(its nappy; everything stuck in it!), and I was beat up twice. Yuk. I'm glad I'm not in school anymore!

~Asortafairytale~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit