Did you get made fun of when you were in school?

by doodle-v 34 Replies latest jw friends

• integ
    integ

It's just amazing to me that these kids have to suffer for "THE GOVERNING BODIES NAME".

Integ.

• stephaniesays
    stephaniesays

I was always in trouble with the witnesses for acting "worldly" so I fit in just fine at school, luckily. Especially by middle school, when I would just wear my friends clothes (funny enough, I got voted "best dressed" in 8th grade, and my friend was pissed because they were HER clothes!). I got in trouble for saying the pledge, having boyfriends, wearing worldly clothes, going to holiday parties, etc...The worst part ffor me was being forced out in service, and sitting there at the door, literally praying it would not be someone I knew from school...

• quinah
    quinah

i was constantly picked on right through school, from nursrey to the senior school, i just grew up thinking it was "normal" for a witness kid to experience all the horrible things that I did. I too understand you when u talk about your under developed social skills, thats some thing im still working on now aged 32. Looking back although school was a very painful experience for me as a witness, at least it gave me strength of character, and if I had the confidence back then that I have now no one would be saying two words to me . At least in my adult life I dont take any cr** off anyone. I too wouldnt want my kids to go through what i went through, just glad i dont have any!

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

I was always in trouble with the witnesses for acting "worldly" so I fit in just fine at school

hehe, things got better for me in Highschool because I got a job and i was able to by my own clothes. I would keep clothes in my locker and change when I got to school.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

I was always in trouble with the witnesses for acting "worldly" so I fit in just fine at school

hehe, things got better for me in Highschool because I got a job and i was able to by my own clothes. I would keep clothes in my locker and change when I got to school.

• KGB
    KGB

No because if anyone did make fun of me they knew there would be fist flying....

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Yes, I was made fun of in school. I can remember all the way back to pre-school being made fun of for not saluting the flag, celebrating holidays, or birthdays. In 4th grade my teacher asked me to get in front of the class and explain my religion. In highschool I had a business teacher repeatedly mark me absent because I'd refused to work on a Halloween project. I have awful memories of growing up in school being a JW. Mary, you are not alone. I grew up a heavy child. I guess that was the only way I knew how to comfort myself during those awful, awful years.

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

Oh, YEAH. I was totally picked on. It was a nightmare! Not only were we freaky religous folks, but my parents bought into that whole idea that the poorer you are the closer to God you are. I was picked on INCESSANTLY!

Fortunately, I got pretty cagey, and ended up being able to defend myself--but it still hurt. Especially since there were no other kids my age to hang out with. My best friends were my brother and a little 5 year old girl at the hall. That. Is. It.

Q.

• zanex
    zanex

Damn...I was WHAT the kids all made fun of back then..it wasnt a question of did I get made fun of it was a matter of which day it was coming that week. I hated school for a long long time...basically my entire school career was spent as a jw..forced to go into long discussions to teachers and subjected to the constant strain of verbal and physical abuse that would stem from those discussions. Teachers can be ignorant and it was twice as bad as a jw growing up back then. I think maybe it isnt as bad today, I could be wrong i havent been to a school like that in years. Havent been around any active jw's either. FUnny thing too I got an invitation to my 10 year hs reunion the other day..I havent decided whether or not I am interested in going.

• obiwan
    obiwan

All the time! From first grade all the way up to my 7th grade year. I was not aloowed to fight back, if I did then I was beat by my father as well, I would come home with gum in my hair, get beat up on the bus to and from school, and if I tried to fit in I was picked on even worse. I remember the jw nick names they used to say to me, one time I remember going home from school and I had seen a sister from another cong that was a dear friend, she was very over wieght and the kids on the bus were all making fun of her, when she saw me and smiled and waved, the whole school bus laughed at me, I shrank in my seat.

When my 7th grade year started, I had enough of all of it, I decide that if I was going to get beat, it would only be once and not by some punk kid....some asses were getting the hell beat out of them that year. At the end of the school year I moved away. As bad as some of these kids were, I'm sure a couple of them are in jail...I can only hope!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit