Debate

by gabcol 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Hi Anna Marina

I can understand the posts that are coming through now that the JW`s nowadays will not debate an issue and I totally agree with them .

However in the 1960`s it was a different time ,they would have debated with God or Jesus themselves then .LOL

I just hope their is someone out there who can back me up on my post .

I just tried to contact channel 7 to try to find out what the name of the program was and when it was televised but with me being PC illiterate I didn`t get very far. I just ended up going round and round in circles getting nowhere.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

JW's are too afraid to even attempt to defend the org's teachings with anyone who appears to be Bible-savvy.

If someone has a good knowledge of the Bible and JW dogma, the JW's "apostate alarm bell" will immediately ring, prompting a question which stops the discussion, "Did you used to be a JW?"

If all else fails, they can use 2 Timothy 2:23 to save themselves from embarrassment - "Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights."

• Giordano
    Giordano

Think about it..........would you waste your time debating with a JW on a stage or in a TV studio?

That would make as much sense as debating a Mormon, a Scientologist, A Jim Jones supporter........ a Moonie.........a Christian Scientist. A believer in 'handling snakes and drinking their poison'....etc.

All of these types of religions and thousands more have painted themselves into a corner.

In the public arena they must remain silent least they reveal that they are in fact the village idiot.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

HI Giordano

They've taken to the green issues now, big time. It's all melting polar ice caps and honey bees. Save the planet, aim at the students.

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

John Ankerberg had two JW elders on in the 80s who he debated. They did not do very well. Just like when Jackson got hammered on the Aus. commission. All he could do is look stupid.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Cool! Somebody dislikes my comment that JWs don't allow anyone to ask questions because there's too many failed prophecies!

Welcome JW lurkers, pull up a chair, read and learn. I wish you well.

• Earnest
    Earnest

In the late 60's there was a TV series by BBC Wales called "Daniel in the Lions Den" which featured a number of clergy who sat around a religious person who had to stand up to them.

One week it was JW's, it featured Doug Turnbull, he was a DO at the time. He was always very verbally gifted and he made mincemeat out of them. He said: "Lets look in our Bibles then", to which they all fidgeted miserably because none had brought any. Then he said "Never mind, I've brought some for you, King James alright?"

There was a thread on this some years ago..

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It seems a little historical review might be helpful.

Back in the days of Pastor Russell, Russell and his traveling representatives ("Pilgrims") would happily debate other religious leaders. Russell's message was something new and the popular religionists were not very skilled in debates.

Year passed thus; eventually a new member of Russell's flock named J.F. Rutherford had the bright idea to debate a popular religionist of the time.

Pastor Russell asked J. F. Rutherford to cancel the debate. "Judge" Rutherford was sure of his skill and ignored Russell's request.

Rutherford got his ass served to him on a silver platter by the religionist.

Since then, representatives of the WTB&TS are discouraged from participating in any debates, but there is no way of preventing the occasional prideful fool from taking the bait and re-living Rutherford's experience.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GABCOL:

Debate? Witnesses wouldn’t have the balls to engage in that, in my opinion.

The absurd teachings could never withstand the light of day. Even the most ‘scholarly’ Witnesses would be hard pressed to explain anything..Some of the people in the religion are barely literate and couldn’t even have an intelligent conversation with non-JW neighbors about current events - let alone what they believe in.

Most Witnesses just go along with a herd mentality and don’t even think about their ever-changing “truth”. Some of them are arrogant enough to think it doesn’t matter.

So, I doubt if anybody would see a debate in a public venue.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Hi Smiddy - I know that in the past some were excellent at debate. I know one who is still outstanding at debate and could knock the socks off most BUT relies on others not knowing certain things. So he doesn't end up debating the pack of lies.

He can teach you some excellent stuff - but if you catch him out he turns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit