Daniel in the Lions den.

by sleepy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I remember older witnesses going on about a TV programme in some country called "Daniel in the Lions Den" in which a witness defended his views against memebers of other religion in front of a TV audience.

The witnesses seams to have come off the better, but it was mostly Catholic priests.
    Anyone see it?

So why are they so afraid to do so today?

I would love to challange witnesses to a debate.
    But I guess they are to scared.
    Bunch of chickens.Barf!!

• Englishman
    Englishman

I saw it.

It was put out by BBC Wales in the late 60's. It featured loads of clergy who sat around a religious person who had to stand up to all of them.

One week it was JW's, it featured Doug Turnbull, he was a DO at the time. He was always very verbally gifted and he made mincemeat out of them. He said: "Lets look in our Bibles then", to which they all fidgeted miserably because none had brought any. Then he said "Never mind, I've brought some for you, King James alright?"

It was brilliant and broadcast live too.

Doug was disfellowshipped a couple of years later for immorality. I have mentioned once before that he was given a minimum DF time of 10 years.

Englishman.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Typical all the best JW's leave or get diss'ed

"Doug was disfellowshipped a couple of years later for immorality. I have mentioned once before that he was given a minimum DF time of 10 years."

Why did they do that?

• Englishman
    Englishman
    "Doug was disfellowshipped a couple of years later for immorality. I have mentioned once before that he was given a minimum DF time of 10 years."

Why did they do that?

Doug Turnbull was a huge, charismatic man, who was also something of a showman. He was our District Overseer for a time and I remember how, when he gave the talk at an indoor assembly at the Dominion Theatre, Hounslow, he had the spotlights on him the whole hour (Remember how the cinema ice-cream ladies were lit up in the intervals?), he really was "In the limelight".

Also at the baptisms at that assembly, he stood by the pool helping the newly immersed one's out of the water.

I am told that when he went astray he knew he would be DF'd, and he and his consort together, fornicator and fornicatrix, told the DF'ing committee that they were prepared to be DF'd and that they had planned it this way even before they had done the dreadful deed.

The locals couldn't handle it, so a special committee was set up at Mill Hill, the London bethel. When they heard of Dougs intent to serve his time and then to apply for re-instatement before he had even done anything wrong, they decided he was taking the Mickey somewhat and banned him from re-instatement for a minimum of 10 years.

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Eman,

Do you know what became of Doug?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ozzie,

I just did a search on his name and this came up! http://www.freeminds.org/legal/blackmore3.doc

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks Eman.

I take it that he's back in the fold now!

• sleepy
    sleepy

intresting read.
    Is it the same guy?

• Englishman
    Englishman

It seems probable, he was a Scot, and Thirsk is mentioned too which is across the border. I think.

Englishman.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Doug was disfellowshipped a couple of years later for immorality. I have mentioned once before that he was given a minimum DF time of 10 years.

TEN YEARS? When that happened, he should have remembered what he did in the past:

: He was always very verbally gifted and he made mincemeat out of them. He said: "Lets look in our Bibles then", to which they all fidgeted miserably because none had brought any. Then he said "Never mind, I've brought some for you, New World Translation alright?"

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit