"exjws" and money making Ponzi schemes.

by Thisismein1972 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

OK I want to pose a question to those who care to discuss this.

Imagine a scenario. You hear of a exjw writing a book, however, before writing this book this exjw is requesting money to publish said book. You go along with it and help to get this book out to the public as you think that it will be beneficial. The book is published, but only 2000 copies are sold. Not very many you think, it's not going to reach many people. So in light of the poor sales, the exjw publisher puts it down to experience and moves on other ventures...

... But wait, this exjw publisher is not satisfied with the first result of the book, so then decides to publish another book. Like the first book, this exjw publisher is again asking for money to publish this book.

If you were one of the ones that donated money to this cause, would you also donate money again to aid the publishing of a second book?

• just fine
  • jp1692
    jp1692

I wouldn't have donated to the first one. I prefer to pay for things that actually exist, not vaporware.

I'm guessing this is not a hypothetical situation.

That being said, 2,000 copies of a book by an unknown, or previously unpublished, author on a very specific subject with a very narrow audience is not all that bad.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

who would want to read such a book ?

jw's--hardly

never jw's---even less likely

ex jw's ? well--there are plenty of books already out there. Paying money to read someones grievance with the watchtower cult is of limited appeal.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I can't think of anything that needs to be said in book form on the subject that hasn't already been said.

It's hard to top Crisis of Conscience.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

As it could be considered " activism"( boy they love that word don't they?) Contributing For a first book, given the time it's requires and that it's adding to the pressure on the cult, OK.

But I wouldn't contribute to a second as now you are just his employer without the perks of being one. I don't know other authors who are paid by random strangers, not their publisher, to write their books....go on booktours all over the world like some celebrity after selling 2000 books.

I doubt people who have written far more worthy and seminal books have had the same level of support.

He, and you, have done their bit for society, now it's just furthering his career.

• John Davis
    John Davis

It is also interesting that certain activists are complaining about how YouTube isn't paying them for their videos.

• jp1692
    jp1692

So I noticed that ThisIsMeIn1972 did NOT say what the book was about, just that it was written by an ex-JW. Theoretically, it could be about anything: basket-weaving or vegan cooking.

That being said, I also noticed that most of the replies assumed a subject and a particular author:

• Who would want to read such a book … someones [sic] grievance with the watchtower cult?
    • I can't think of anything that needs to be said in book form on the subject that hasn't already been said.
    • It could be considered "activism" …
    • It is also interesting that certain activists are complaining about how YouTube isn't paying them for their videos.

TIMI, why don't you just say it: you're talking about L l o y d E v a n s, aren't you?

BTW, it's spelled Ponzi scheme.

Prepare to be berated by the followers of the Cult of Cedars. (I'm sure I'll get a bunch of "dislikes" for saying as much; just wait and see).

• Londo111
    Londo111

He only sold 2000 copies of his book?

I did see where he was going to write a second book about how to leave the JWs and it would be a quarter of the size of the second. I cannot imagine devoting 200 pages to the subject. It would be best for any advice to be put free online.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ponsy schemes--ha ha--is that as in PONCEY ?

i think PONZI is more likely

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit