Serpent in the Garden of Eden is not Satan

by anointed1 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anointed1
    anointed1

Many interpret serpent in the garden of Eden as the Satan hence miss the whole point because Satan himself does not exist. He is a fictional character [For example, in the temptation account, Satan is shown as reflecting the erroneous belief of ancient time that shape of earth is flat, thus taking Jesus to the top of “a very high mountain” and showed him “all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.” (Mathew 4:8, 9) The fact that Jesus did not correct the mistaken view of Satan shows the account of temptation is allegorical. Further, Jesus knew that Satan was only a personification of evil (Mathew 16:23; John 6:70) and categorically declared that “all evil thoughts proceed from one’s heart,” not from Satan. (Mark 7:21; James 1:14). There is nothing unusual with personification as Bible personifies even material riches. (Mathew 6:24)] Hence one has to look for the truth behind the Edenic details. Truth is that for a period, there was no sin; then sin entered. Sin means to wander away from God. Sin would invite trouble (as though bruising of the heel) which would ultimately motivate the practitioner to crush the head of serpent (sin). This sequence is nicely brought out by Jesus in the illustration of prodigal son who sought sin which resulted in misery (as though bruising the heel) which in turn motivated him to return to his father (as though head of the sin crushed).

Interestingly, Ecclesiasticus 21:2, 3 present serpent as the ‘symbol of sin and as two-edged sword’ because effect of sin is like venom of the serpent, and again effect is on two people—on the doer and the recipient of the action (as in theft, lie, rape ….you weaken your own soul first and make other person suffer too). Sin happens when one forgets the truth that all are children of God. Hence antidote to sin is remembering the truth that all are children of God, hence to be treated accordingly. Such a remembrance is within everyone’s power. Hence we find expression such as ‘conquer sin and earn your inheritance.’ (Ecclesiasticus 15:15; Proverbs 11:18; Revelation 22:11, 12, 14, 15; Mathew 7:21-23) Thus original idea is all about earning the right—not grace (Habakuk 2:4; Hebrews 10:38; Luke 18:14; Revelation 21:7) by being “meek” which means imitation of God’s attitude of treating everyone alike. (Mathew 5:5, 44-48; 1 Pet 5:6) To be meek, one doesn’t have to possess a perfect body—even when one is bodily weak, he can be perfect in manifesting unconditional love because many have done that in history.

• cofty
    cofty

More Brahma Kumaris dogma?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    the whole point because Satan himself does not exist. He is a fictional character

Agreed. Along with all the other fictional characters in all so called 'Holy books' or 'teachings'.

It's all just man made nonsense...........and it's very dangerous stuff.

Don't get snared into religious cults.

Image result for ricky gervais made up gods

• rebel8
    rebel8

Satan is shown as reflecting the erroneous belief of ancient time that shape of earth is flat, thus taking Jesus to the top of “a very high mountain” and showed him “all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.” (Mathew 4:8, 9) The fact that Jesus did not correct the mistaken view of Satan shows the account of temptation is allegorical.

The conclusion you drew (bolded)--think about that some more.

What are all other possible reasons for Jesus not correcting Satan's statements implying Earth is flat?

Out of all of those other possible reasons, what made you conclude only the reason you gave is the correct one?

• anointed1
    anointed1

punkofnice, I am a self-made man, worked in the defense for the best part of my life. Now in the retired life, what I am writing is from my own reflection. As I already wrote I tasted JWs a bit (studied, but did not get baptized), and returned which shows I know how far to swim and when to turn back.

• anointed1
    anointed1

Dear Rebel8,

The whole account of temptation makes no sense. Would anybody go to President Trump and ask him "if you worship me, I will make you Governor of California?" He will not feel tempted because he is already in greater position. Likewise if Jesus were the only-begotten son sitting in the bosom position of God, he can have rulership over many other universes. One well-known aspect of quantum physics is that there could be many-worlds (the multiverse) .

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

It certainly seems plausible that Satan could be that little voice that occasionally inclines us to do things that aren't so smart. I certainly see no reason that can't be applied to the story of Adam and Eve. Maybe the whole point of that story is to show us that it's not always a good idea to listen to it. Being human, Christ wouldn't be invulnerable to it. I certainly occasionally debate with myself about the advisability of certain actions.

• Perry
    Perry

Interesting thoughts. For sure many things people ascribe to the Devil is really out of their own selves.

As JW's we denied the Christian doctrine of an inherent fallen nature, so we blamed most everything on the devil instead. Our failures to be godly was interpreted to be because we weren't active enough in field service, studying, meeting attendance etc. This left us open to the attacks of the devil. Pure nonsense from a biblical perspective.

Jesus deals with the sin nature, that is the part that must die and be replaced. That's why he three times told Nicodemus that he must be born again..... not from flesh, but by Spirit.

But, I do think the overall treatment of Satan in Scripture portrays him as a real entity. Article

• cofty
    cofty
    As JW's we denied the Christian doctrine of an inherent fallen nature,

A sick and dehumanising dogma.

Parents who tell their children that they are fallen sinners are guilty of emotional and mental abuse.

• Perry
    Perry

People tend towards what is sometimes called a "lower nature" as opposed to our "higher nature", even when they try to will themselves otherwise.

For me, it was quite liberating to be free of the Watchtower dogma that basically says that the problem was "I just wasn't trying hard enough".

But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, ...no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. - Romans 7

This is the dual nature of man. The founding fathers of the American constitution well knew this principle that operates within men and created a form of government with checks and balances that tried to minimize/penalize the expressions of our lower nature and maximize/reward expressions of our higher nature.

It was an amazing application of biblical principles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit