People Are Drinking a Lot More When "Locked Up" in Their Homes

by RubaDub 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD
    I bet the booze business is booming everywhere due to the covid-19

It is here. Total Wine & More is doing curbside pickup and people are loading up their SUV's

(Don't ask me how I know that )

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

They are not taking into account that those people who are drinking more, are not drinking more, but are drinking at home instead of pubs, bars, and other locations.

Tameria ...

That's the reasoning you, Simon and others have mentioned.

I guess I'm cheap but I tend to drink more at home. I don't know, $5 for a bottle of beer (maybe 2x1 drafts at around $4 on happy hour) is a bit much.

At home, my wife does her Stella Artois thing and I am all over the place with Leffe, Blue Moon or IPA's. A 12 pack is around $15 here, less than $1.25 per bottle.

A decent wine for $6-$8 for a bottle is about that much for a glass away from home.

About $25 for a 1.75 liter of Stoli vodka, Bacardi Rum, Johnny Walker Scotch, etc. And that doesn't include coupons that you can get a few bucks off at some of the bigger places like Total Wine. Figure about 40 jiggers (1.5 oz) in a 1.75 liter bottle and you do the math on what that bottle is worth if you were doing mixed drinks out.

Yea, I like to go out to a pub/bar when if it involves friends. But at least in our case, it's probably like one or maybe two times a month. OK, OK, call me cheap.

Rub a Dub

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

People might be drinking more for boredom. While that is not good for their health if they are in fact drinking more (instead of just substituting drinking at home for drinking the same amount at bars), at least they are drinking and driving that much less. And that is when they are really asking for trouble--if you drink, that's your business. If you drink and drive, it becomes mine and that of everyone else that shares the road.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Had they been snooping around those street's bins this time last year?

NZ is different again. Most bottle stores selling spirits are closed, so if you want top shelf and didn't have a well stocked cellar before the lockdown and don't live in one of the few areas where you can go and stand in a queue for hours to get your favorite whiskey/whatever, you're out of luck.

• btlc
    btlc

Wonder how A.M.III get his weekly supply of Macallan...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

NZ is different again. Most bottle stores selling spirits are closed

Black Sheep ...

Yes, I am sure NZ is far more civilized than here in the US.

Here, it would not be a matter of "if" they would empty your store overnight, but "when" and which method they would use (break in through a window, hijack a car and smash through the front of the building, take a pickup truck, smash the front of the building and while they're at it, take the ATM machine, whatever).

We find ways to be creative here.

Rub a Dub

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Most grocery stores here in the UK sell booze, from cheap cider to hard liquor. To be honest it's easier to buy the hard stuff because it gets you where you want to go quicker. As long as you can afford it of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit