People Are Drinking a Lot More When "Locked Up" in Their Homes

by RubaDub 16 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It was amusing the other evening on the local news to see the increase of drinking due likely to people having to basically stay at home.

The news crew went out on recycle day in a couple of areas during the week. They showed the general neighborhoods (but not the specific houses). The reporter walked down the street and looked into the recycle bins. It was very interesting to see that about half of the bins were literally full of wine bottles and beer cans and bottles. They went to a middle class type of area and then to a more upscale area (Coral Gables) and the results were pretty much the same; tons of bottles and cans. One house (the people were probably anal) had 4 or 5 12-packs of beer. They saved the containers they came in and nicely stacked all the empties back into containers. It was hilarious to see.

If you want hard liquor here, you still have to go out of your house and go to a liquor store. But the last time I went to the supermarket (about 2 weeks ago), about 3 out of 4 in line had food and one or more 12 packs of beer. But since more and more people here are using home delivery services (as my wife insists on), you can get your beer and wine along with any food when you order from the supermarkets. So there is no need to leave your house unless you need rum, scotch,vodka or something.

I bet the booze business is booming everywhere due to the covid-19.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

I’m with you. I never drink at home .... but now I do. Cognac bottles.... πŸ₯ƒπŸ₯ƒπŸ₯ƒπŸ₯ƒπŸ₯ƒπŸ₯ƒ

• Simon
    Simon

We have paid bottle and can return here, so you get money for taking things back to the recycling centre. There used to be bottle-drives regularly where kids on local sports teams would come round asking for spare cans to raise money for their team.

I'm sure some people will drink more because of stress and boredom, but don't forget that people aren't drinking out at pubs, bars and restaurants, so it's unclear if the total "drinkage" will be up or not (sales from brewers will tell us that).

I think there was a run on home-brew equipment, as it's a cheap and easy way to create your own supply. I have some red-wine bubbling away behind me as I type.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Of course they are...people are doing a lot more of everything at home. The news focused on drinking.

I happen to know that people are doing a lot more baking these days (learning to make breads, pizza, cakes, cookies). I'm sure they'd find a lot of bags of flour in the trash if they'd have looked.

My neighbors are off work and are doing some great things with their children. Others are putting in vegetable gardens for the first time. Lots of projects that needed to be done at home are getting completed.

But who wants to know about that? It isn't (gasp)..as naughty.

• JeffT
    JeffT

When Mt. St. Helens blew in 1980 we were living in Pullman, Washington. It's a small college town about 250 miles downwind from the mountain. At the time the population was about 25,000, 16 thousand of whom were college undergraduates. Within twenty-four hours of the eruuption the entire town was out of beer.

I suspect something similar is happening with the stay at home orders.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I can see this happening for alcohol has been a go to solution to elevate boredom, depression and anxiety.

I'm not going that route for health reasons, rather I go for long walks in a park , maybe catch a coffee if I can.

Sitting on your ass doing nothing in front of your computer or watching TV is bad for your physical and mental health, this nasty virus wins again in that sense.

Lets give this virus a big middle finger and get some exercise toward improving your health.

A bike ride is another solution which I'm going to do right now.

Keep healthy folks

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Drinking is bad

No I beg to differ ! It’s an abominable disease in man!

lets make this abomination Disappear!

one bottle at a time!

one bottle you

and one bottle I !!!

Hic! You and I should be awarded the Nobel peace prize and the prize for medicine and.... and....hic! Oh Damn! I’ll have another!!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If a virus doesn't kill you, alcohol will if only give it a chance.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

They are not taking into account that those people who are drinking more, are not drinking more, but are drinking at home instead of pubs, bars, and other locations.

• hoser
    hoser

Impaired driving charges and collisions are way down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit