New here...(my story and a request for help)

by stephaniesays 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• stephaniesays
    stephaniesays

I was raised in the organization. My stepfather was a ministerial servant but was removed when I was 14, due to family problems, which he blamed on me (he was abusive, physically, and was told that if he cannot control his family, he could not be an example to the congregation). I became pregnant at 15 and have not really lived around my family since then. I have lived a normal (meaning not a witness) life. I am married, with three kids, celebrate all holidays with pleasure, etc...I even...(gasp!) smoke...There was a woman when I was younger who studied with me, who was like my mother. She was actually responsible for my stepfather being removed, as her husband was an elder. She was always there for me, and when I moved to her side of town, after little contact for years, she asked me if I would study with her. I am not one who has known all about the society's "scandals"-I just have always felt that it was weird. So, I agreed to let her study with me, mostly because I wanted her apporval, but feeling that it would not go very far. Well, now, of course, I am being pressured into going to meetings, etc...and there is no doubt in my mind that I do NOT want to be a witness. However, I now feel that I have to prove to myself that it is not the truth, in order to feel comfortable breaking all ties. I hope all this makes sense-my husband (never a witness) doesn't understand why it's such a big deal. I just know that I will lose her friendship once I say that I do not want to be a witness, and it is a dear friendship to me. I am asking you all for help in proving to myself that what they say is not the truth. I have not lived as a witness, but i have also not been exposed to other religions, and so I have a hard time disagreeing with what she says when I am not educated on what they are talking about (i.e. the bible)...Where to start? All of the information is very overwhelming....

Also, I have a friend from childhood studying again. I want to clue her in on some things but don't know how. Any advice?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board, Stephaniesays.

I first recommend that you get a hold of Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. It is very revealing about the "workings" of the governing body and the doctrines that the WTBTS teaches. It would be a start.

Then get Steven Hassen's books on Freedom from Mind Control. His first book doesn't mention JWs, but the principles are the same. His second book does mention the JWs and the tatics they use.

Don't do any rash, if you want to keep the friendship. Things are not black and white as the JWs paint it to be. Just be "busy" and unable to go the next step until you know what you want to do.

Welcome, again,

j2bf

• dedalus
    dedalus

I like your handle -- are you a Velvet Underground fan?

Most people here are going to give you the good advice of accepting the loss of your friend as a consequence for rejecting her attempts at indoctrination.

A good book for you to read is Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0914675230/qid=1055866569/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4950545-7350540?v=glance&s=books

Another thing you could look at to discourage yourself from accepting the Organization is its history of bloodthirsty literature. Its doctrine is predicated on the assumption that billions and billions of people, including children and babies, are going to be slaughtered so Witnesses can take over the planet. Consider:

"Every kind of terror will be used to destroy the evil world--cloud bursts, lashing rains, overflowing floods, earthquakes, giant hailstorms and a rain of fire. There will be terror on the land, terror in the sea and terror in the air. With shocking surprise Armageddon will catch all those persons outside the New World society." -- From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained, 1958, p. 207.

"On Satan's side will be all the rest of mankind, more than 99.9 percent, as we read, 'The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.' That includes all the governments of the world together with their supporters, the commercial, religious and social institutions. Even the professedly Christian organizations? Yes, because all such that are making themselves friends of the world are making themselves enemies of God." -- Watchtower 10/15/58, p. 614-5.

"Do not conclude that there are different roads, or ways, that you can follow to gain life in God's new system. There is only one. There was just one ark that survived the Flood, not a number of boats. And there will be only one organization--God's visible organization--that will survive the fast-approaching ‘great tribulation.’ It is simply not true that all religion lead to the same goal … You must be part of Jehovah’s organization, doing God’s will, in order to receive his blessing of everlasting life." – You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, 1982, p. 255.

"Never forget that only God’s organization will survive the end of this dying system. Act wisely, therefore, and make plans for life eternal by building your future with Jehovah’s organization." – Watchtower 7/15/84, p. 20.

"Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the ‘great crowd,’ as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural home of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the ‘flesh’ that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation in human history." – Watchtower 9/1/89, p. 19.

"The masses of people facing annihilation if they fail to respond to the good news include out unbelieving relatives, neighbors, workmates, schoolmates, and acquaintances. But our concern is to reach out to ‘all sorts of men’ in imitation of God, who manifested his love for the entire world by giving his Son, Jesus Christ, as a ransom for all (John 3:16). We must zealously invite all to flee to God’s place of safety. By fully carrying out the preaching work, we can avoid bloodguilt." – Kingdom Ministry, September 2000, p. 1

Happy stuff, isn't it?

Dedalus

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome Steph. First it is good you came here. I was a JW for over 20 yrs. They Df me because I dont believe Jesus came invisably in 1914 ... I am 76 years old. & of course I have lost my daughter & all my friends in the organization- owing to the shunnung. You want to know what is wrong with them??? First I want you to know I love them- but they are false prophets. Due 18.22-....
    They say John 17 : 3 says" Taking in knowledge is what you need to do to Love God " That is a Lie- You can take all the knowledge in you like about them. But KNOWING them is so important. I can take in knowledge of where you live- the color of your eyes your age. But your husband LIVES with you HE Knows you -That is how we must KNOW God...LIVE with HIM Not an organization.. I am not religious I have a relationship..Romans 10:9... tells us it is just to declare Jesus is Lord & believe God raised him from the dead YOU ARE SAVED,,, Also their(JWS) love is conditional.... You must believe what THEY teach.... Yet Jesus said HE was the Way! Truth! life! yet the WTower says they are the Truth-Only way! to get LIFE !!!!Hey that contridicts the bible..... They tell you that works will do it...But the scriptures tell us that is not true John 6: 28,29 differs with that teaching. Also they teach hate-- They say you must hate those who dont believe what they say...Shun them!!! Jesus said "Love your enemies do good to those who hate you......I love them -but they teach everyone I am of the Devil.Also God said Listen to my son.... Jesus said DO NOT JUDGE---they way your judging you will be judged. I dont think there is a friend in the world who I would go back into bondage for- But if you want to get their approval.. Be my guest>>> I have made Jesus MY friend..... Go to Quotes on search he has enough info to sink the WT.... But the Devil has it in His grip....My advice to you is to pray for the real TRUTH....Come again

• Swan
    Swan

Welcome Stephanie!

I heartily recommend what Joy2BeFree said:

I first recommend that you get a hold of Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. It is very revealing about the "workings" of the governing body and the doctrines that the WTBTS teaches. It would be a start.

Then get Steven Hassen's books on Freedom from Mind Control. His first book doesn't mention JWs, but the principles are the same. His second book does mention the JWs and the tatics they use.

Don't do any rash, if you want to keep the friendship. Things are not black and white as the JWs paint it to be. Just be "busy" and unable to go the next step until you know what you want to do.

Those are both great books and a great place to start.

Tammy

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Welcome to the forum! Just hang out here for a while and you'll find a huge abundance of information showing that the JWs are just another mind control religion.

Might I suggest reading "Crisis of Conscience" by Ray Franz (former Governing Body member). This book is probably the single best thing you can read.

• shamus
    shamus

Welcome!

I also agree that you read Crisis Of Conscience. Get both sides of the religion before making any choice - good or bad. It is a straight forward viewpoint from one whom used to serve on the governing body. Your study buddy will not agree with you for reading it, b/c it is "apostate" stuff. However, you will find that it is just truth that the organization does not wish you to see - their lies.

Believe me. You are talking to many ex-members, and including the ranks of elders, elders wives, ministerial servants, pioneers, special pioneers, you name it.

Shamus

• Independent
    Independent

I 'friend' doesn't put conditions on their friendship. This is a very conditional group you're in (I know, I just left it). Keep both eyes and your mind open and alert.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Hey !

May you find peace with us, having you aboad is great news !!!

Have fun !!!

www.escapethewatchtower.com

• larrynbabies
    larrynbabies

One main reason is thier complete lack of tolerance for any opinion or thought except for what is thiers. It's either thier way or the highway. You have no room for a life in the real world. It just can't be done not without having to live with a major guilt trip. You are already feeling guilty and they havent even got thier claws into you yet. Your best bet is to back away from these people they will come between you and your husband and possibly destroy your family. I know this sounds somewhat extream but take the time to read the stories of people who post here.

larrynbabies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit