New here...(my story and a request for help)

by stephaniesays 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Hi SS,

Not really in a position to give advice yet, but just wanted to say hi & welcome!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Welcome to the site!

You will find all the information you need here. The first step is realizing that it is indeed not the truth, and that will help.

I realize and know first hand how important friendships are, but ultimately you will have to live your life for you. Maybe one day she will see the light.

Or, you can just fade away again, and not give many answers to her questions, and blame it on timing.

Good luck!

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

All I can say is one thing: RUN!

You sound like me when I was so desperate to keep the friendship of the lady who was studying with me. I knew that I would lose it if I stopped the study even though back in the day I knew none of it made sense. And I wasn't even exposed to the JWs prior to that. Don't let your emotions get in the way of making rational decisions. Eventually you will lose the friendship anyway when you decide to leave.

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

It sounds like you have a wonderful foundation for your life 'outside', your husband, your children. Don't let the person studying with you jeopardize all that! Just read, read, and read some more...I recommend www.silentlambs.org and www.freeminds.org . If the info on those sites doesn't convince you once and for all that these people cannot possibly be of any god you'd want to worship...than nothing can.

Welcome aboard...

essie

www.ghostwriter.homestead.com

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

They continually tell lies and cover them up - it's their whole history - what more do you need to know

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Stephanie:

I don't know if this will help you much, but I have two scriptures that have made an impact to me in proving that the JW was not the truth

Deut 18:22 "If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him." Now...how many times has the organization made a "prophecy" that has not come true? Your friend will answer that the Organization does not claim to be a prophet - but if you do some research you will find that in fact they have said just so in their own literature. Besides - if you look up the definition of a prophet I'm sure that the actions of the society fit.

Matthew 24:26-27 - This one basically says that if someone claims Christ has returned in some hidden way it is not true because his return would be seen by everyone.

• blindfool
    blindfool

Hey Stephanie,

This is just a suggestion:

Ask her to study one night from just the bible, no WT literature. Tell her you have thought about a lot of the things you have been learning and done bible reading on your own. Ask her to read the bible book of Galatians with you. Try to have a version of the bible handy, like a Living Bible, for your study, don't let her bully you into reading her version only. By the way, the WT version says the same thing, its just harder to understand Paul's true meaning of Christian freedom with the WT version.

The book is only 6 chapters long, not to much to handle in one evening. After reading this with her tell her you don't understand the difference between Paul's view on circumcision and the WT view of celebrating holidays, the ban on blood transfusions, being disfellowshipped for smoking, etc.

This is not a trick to stumble your friend, its a bible based view of how true Christians are not to be tied to laws of man.

Now I'll warn you, this is not an end all for your discussion with this witness. I've studied these exact scriptures with my wife and she still thinks of the WT as Gods organization. This is only a starting point for you and perhaps your friend, into Christian freedom.

• stephaniesays
    stephaniesays

I have been doing tons of reading in the past two days, and I can't BELIEVE what I have found! I called the "sister" and just came out with a couple of things (I am not one to beat around the bush, and she knows that). I said that I have been reading that book you let me borrow called Archaeological Commentary on the Bible (which I might add, the society quotes often in the Aid to Bible Understanding), and that it says Jerusalem fell in 587, not 607...She said there were some who debated the year but that almost everyone agreed with the Witnesses that it was 587. I didn't really respond, other than to ask her to find something that backed that up. She said that she would and I am interested to see what she comes up with because I couldn't find ONE book or website that said 607 that was non-JW. I am sure she will bring JW literature but I am just going to ask her to please find me something not from the organization...What do you guys think, and what else should I be armed with? Ideas?

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Welcome to the board Stephanie (could it be? yet ANOTHER texas apostate?)

The 607 topic is a deep debate. The trouble with trying to pin them down on dates is that they will shift and end up saying it really doesn't matter anyway...they are STILL god's chosen group. Some arguments just get nowhere.

Crisis of Conscience is a great place to start reading. Was for many of us at least! Right now I'm reading Franz's second book "In Search of Christian Freedom". It's a good one too.

Best of luck to you Stephanie, glad you found this place!

• Jesika
    Jesika

I have been out for a while now, so I don't have any issues with doctrine stuff, but I know others will show you what you need to know.

I just wanted to say welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit